U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-17-2009, 12:36 PM

11,134 posts, read 10,384,298 times
Many years ago many people from Minnesota moved to Austin because of the 3M plant. Several were my neighbors. I suppose they were not childless artist atheists. But they were simply good people.

They loved Austin. First for the warm weather. Second because of the friendly people. Third for who knows what. I have no idea what religion if any these people were. But I don't care nor do I ask.

It is very important to recognize that in return for lower taxes and less interference in our lives the governments in Texas do not do as much. I am perfectly happy with that. That has a lot to do with the economic health of the state.

I think it is gross exagerration to say that outside of Austin the population is dominated by roughnecks and religious people. I bet Wimberly has a sizable population of artists with no passion for religion. I contend that most of Austin does NOT go to church on Sundays, whether they live in or outside of Austin.

My neighbors in Spicewood include a family from Atlanta with small children and on the other side - a lesbian couple that seems to like old cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-17-2009, 12:50 PM

539 posts, read 1,009,164 times
Make sure to check out Austin in August to check out the worst of the heat ...

Unread 06-17-2009, 12:56 PM

4,443 posts, read 5,438,336 times
Something that is very prominent on the Austin subforum is this whole debate about liberal vs conservative that arises repeatedly in all these various permutations. However, living in Austin, these debates don't tend to get raised or acted out publically or interpersonally IME. The subforum probably results in highlighting differences that just aren't much day to day concern when one is actually living in Austin. It's in the nature of such fora, I suppose.

Unread 06-17-2009, 12:58 PM

25,171 posts, read 31,111,369 times
You can tell by my name that I'm a liberal person.

Austin is horrible if you are an out and proud liberal person. And no I am not talking democrat double-speak shenanigans. Can any politician be truly trusted for his words?

This is my idea of liberal define: liberal - Google Search

And that is not to be found in Austin. Sorry. Go somewhere else.

The other poster said there is social Darwinism which is absolutely true. The competition drives down the happiness, individuality, and increases the aggression and fierce competition. Sounds like fun doesn't it?

Unread 06-17-2009, 01:03 PM

25,171 posts, read 31,111,369 times
Absolutely not true.

People have social-radar as to whom is what and whom believes in what philosophies by their behaviors, facial expressions, body language, communication skills, dress, appearance, etc.

When I noticed people were treating me like trash in that city, I decided to do some research, later found out they were conservative Christians or were raised in such a fashion to still have bigotry ingrained into their soul despite the fact they were trying to be tolerant.....well there you go...a lot of double speak and games is what I call it

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Something that is very prominent on the Austin subforum is this whole debate about liberal vs conservative that arises repeatedly in all these various permutations. However, living in Austin, these debates don't tend to get raised or acted out publically or interpersonally IME. The subforum probably results in highlighting differences that just aren't much day to day concern when one is actually living in Austin. It's in the nature of such fora, I suppose.

Unread 06-17-2009, 01:36 PM

3,714 posts, read 4,852,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I can't imagine that Minnesota is full of raging social liberals and irreligious people, so I can't imagine it would be that great a social adjustment in that sense. The bigger issues ISTM are related to employment opportunities, the arts scene (in the case of this particular couple), and whether they will find the Texas summer more tolerable than the Minnesota winter.
Actually, it might be full of raging social liberals. Didn't they just elect Al Franken to the Senate and isn't that the state that elected JEsse Ventura as its governor? Not that Ventura was a liberal, I know he was an independant but don't know which way he leaned, but I have trouble imagining a bunch of church-goers electing him.

Unread 06-17-2009, 01:50 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,292,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Not that Ventura was a liberal, I know he was an independant but don't know which way he leaned, but I have trouble imagining a bunch of church-goers electing him.
I bet they would vote for him if he ripped phonebooks in half and praised Jesus while doing it:

The Power Team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unread 06-17-2009, 02:54 PM

4,443 posts, read 5,438,336 times
Well, I hope Al Franken gets his senate seat eventually. Whatever the case, the vote was obviously very close -- basically split 50-50 between democrats for Franken and all those other conservatives voting for some republican. I don't see that as a raging liberal mandate. More so than Texas, of course, where no one like Al Franken could garner even close to half the vote. But remember, Texas did once have Sen. Ralph Yarbrough, so it hasn't always had an electorate as conservative as the present bunch of post-Reagan reactionaries who seem to be the biggest part of the population in the Lone Star State.

Unread 06-17-2009, 11:07 PM

3,042 posts, read 3,917,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
1. Austin is liberal as in a lot of college kids. You'll find a majority of people over 30, however, are conservative and yes, religious.

2. If you're outside the few walkable areas downtown, you'll need a car. While not as extreme as Dallas-Fort Worth, you need a car to get anywhere.

3. Austin is in Texas, a red state. You'll feel that everywhere.

4. Little social services. Texas is more live and let live, every man for himself.

That being said if you're looking for more temperate weather I'd go for California or Oregon considering your lifestyle. I don't think Texas is for you. Granted, you may like a few neighborhoods adjacent to UT and in South Austin, but you cannot live in a cocoon. You will NOT like the roughnecks and conservatives just minutes outside of the city limits.
I've never really understood why people want to surround themselves with only like-minded people. A real true city should welcome all types of people....that is what cosmopolitan cities are about....Austin strikes me as so....keep austin a liberal island in Texas of OTHER radical like minded people, as if there is a wall of the complete opposite outside the city walls... the black/white, right/wrong mentality in Texas is something that bugs me but I'm still studying it.

That said. These people are from Minnesota. What do you think rural Minnesota (Which most of Minnesota is outside the twin cities) is like? lol...they will be just fine. Texas is more urban in general than Minnesota. Also, more liberal in a lot of ways.

If anything, as a notherner, what will probably drive you crazy if you are just used to it and take it for granted.....is how un-enviornmentally concious Texas is, including Austin...

Personally I think you will make plenty of friends. People seem to be more social here in general. I think its hard to make friends in Minnesota because people stick with friends they have known for years. Austin is more transient and I dont think people think its that unsual to be childless and married. Being single and childless...that is another story I am finding...lol, but then I don't live in Austin...

Unread 06-17-2009, 11:47 PM

1,938 posts, read 3,423,605 times
Having grown up not far from the MN-IA border, having lived in Denver CO and Austin TX...have you considered Denver? Sounds like it might be a better fit for you overall. You do get some snow but in the city it melts in like a day. I think the coldest it ever got in Denver that I remember was 0 with wind chill and maybe 9 degrees some other time but it was never the same bitter cold you have for months on end in MN. I love Austin but you might get more of what you want in a slightly larger area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin