Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 09:01 PM

152 posts, read 186,050 times

Advertisements

We are buying a house in Austin and closing at the end of June. What I thought was a straight forward process is suddenly confusing as I start getting into the details.

The appraisal of the house for 2009 taxes was more than 15% above what we're paying for the house. Does anyone know if I'll be stuck paying taxes for the balance of the year at the former appraised value?

I'll be filing for a homestead exemption and an over-65 exemption as well. Will I have to wait until the end of the year to file those exemptions?

If I have to wait until the end of the year to file for the exemptions, will they still use the purchase price of the house as the appraised value?

I know, it starts to get kind of complicated.

Skeptical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 09:14 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times
On the homestead exemption, you must be living in the home January 1 of the year you are claiming the exemption - we just found this out as we get ready to close at the end of this month.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:34 PM

Thanks, Jennibc, did you find out anything about using the purchase price of the house (for tax appraisal) versus the prior tax appraisal?

Thx...
Skeptical

Old 06-17-2009, 09:38 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
If you take your closing statement with you when you protest the property value (May of next year), they will adjust to your purchase price. I think you are stuck with the 2009 value for the rest of this year, because the window to protest will be over by the time you close.

As far as the homestead exemption, you can get the form online and file it anytime after Jan 1 (but before Apr, when they will start sending out appraisal notices).

On the plus side, you'll technically only be responsible for 6 months of the taxes -- in your closing, the seller or previous lender should include the escrowed or estimated 6 months worth of taxes for this year prior to June. You may want to double check that on the HUD statement prior to your close.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post

On the plus side, you'll technically only be responsible for 6 months of the taxes -- in your closing, the seller or previous lender should include the escrowed or estimated 6 months worth of taxes for this year prior to June. You may want to double check that on the HUD statement prior to your close.
Yes, I did see that we are being credited for property taxes up to our closing date. I was just hoping we wouldn't be stuck with the higher taxes for the balance of the year.

I clearly do want to get our purchase price locked in for the appraised-value-doesn't-go-up-after-65 deal.

Skeptical
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: