U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:58 AM

5 posts, read 5,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Stevenisprime,

The adage "everything is bigger in Texas" totally does not apply when comparing Austin and Chicago.

... Excellent Description Mapping Everything Out ...
Thanks homeinatx! That was exactly what I was looking for. Yes, I spent time in Austin before several years ago, but it was primarily with my girlfriend at the time, and she lived up north (near the IBM campus). You're correct that in order to do anything, we had to drive. I was fine with that area (since I wasn't doing any of the driving at the time).

But, this time, I'm coming here by myself without anybody and deciding myself where I'll be living for the upcoming year at least.

The general assessment that I need to reconfigure what I want is a true statement. The only walkable area sounds like downtown, but I feel choosing downtown for that would not avail me of the many opportunities Austin has. And, besides, I think I'm already used to the notion, from living there before, that I need to drive to get anywhere.

That being said, South Congress seems appealing. Close to downtown, can get to the pool, artsy. Additionally, Hyde Park seems interesting as well, although being surrounded by students can be either a good / bad thing (I haven't been out of school that long, but I can definitely tell when I'm eating somewhere and it's primarily filled with college kids - but, that was Depaul, maybe Uchicago kids were different).

Again, thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 11:05 AM

5 posts, read 5,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
I used to live in Wicker Park actually and the closest equalvent is the Barton Springs Drive area of Austin but it asthetically different, the vibe is the same to me though. Yeah, I agree, there is no equivalent to Lakeview in Austin, the closest thing to it is well, downtown. If you want something artsy and kinda funky, check out the apartment complexes on S. Congress like State House(tons of pool parties there btw). There aren't any walkable neighborhoods the scale of Lakeview and no neighborhood is that dense. For a person new to Austin from Lakeview, I would recommend staying in Downtown, S. Congress, maybe East Austin(which is eqivalent to Bucktown about 20 years ago) or if you don't mind being around a lot of students, Hyde Park and the Triangle. You should be able to find a 1 BD in your price range. Good Luck!
That's probably one of the best characterizations of East Austin I've heard, "Bucktown about 20 years ago." Maybe if I was investing / buying, but I'll be renting for the first year at least.

But yeah, your recommendations are similar to what I've already ascertained: Downtown, South Congress, and Hyde Park. Thanks for the affirmations.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:26 AM

2,522 posts, read 3,790,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
You really shouldnt move here looking for someplace similar to where you are. Chicago is a real city, austin is a medium town. For it's size, austin is great. But you will really regret moving here if you love chicago and all it has to offer. If you are looking for a smaller town with a slower pace and a warm climate then this might be the place to come to.
Actually, if one is looking for a slower pace and climate, surely the Florida Keys would fit the bill far more than Austin......Austin is actually a very busy, active, crowded, and noisy metro....I find it a stretch that anyone would relocate here to get away from large metro problems.......just a smaller, bite-sized portion of the same is all Austin is, but with a great local music scene........

Again, if you really want to get away from all the bull of the large metros, there are thousands of small cities/towns with universities, on bodies of water, near mountains, by plenty of open land to choose from......Austin is for those from very large metros who can't completely divorce themselves from the large metro thing, yet want a better choice of the same.....a compromise of sorts....you get the same crowded roads and sprawl, yet a bit of a music scene to make it go down better....like a spoonful of sugar to make the medicine go down......

Old 06-24-2009, 09:18 PM

73 posts, read 169,913 times
You're probably right, but crowded roads and sprawl are a matter of degree. Austin's still can't compare to the DC area and places like L.A, or even Chicago on that score.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin