Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 06:52 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Up in Seattle we had Larry's in the eighties - very much like the Central Market down here. There was a sushi bar, a bulk food section, organic produce, a cafe, high end cooking accessories, fine chocolates, a gourmet cheese section, a massive beer and wine section etc.
When we lived in Seattle, we *LOVED* Larry's. When they went out of business, we were so sad. My entire family had a ritual where we did our Saturday shopping at Larry's and the employees would ooh and aah over our new baby (who isn't a baby any more). Now I am missing Larry's AND Trader Joe's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 06:53 PM

12 posts, read 49,722 times
mimimomx3-If you have not shopped at TJ's and then you have opportunity too, I think the fear you express, will be excitement, TJ's has amazing stuff, if you like to cook.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:59 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I love to cook, and have my favorite stores (and have even been known to drive to Houston just to go to Penzey's). It's just the "cult" aspect that I find amusing - some people talk about Trader Joe's like it's crack or something that they're having a really hard time doing without.

Trader Joe's is not just in California, I know. But, again, it's predominantly people from California who tend to talk about it that way in the forums I'm on, and that leaves the impression that it's predominantly Californians who are "cult members".

Old 06-18-2009, 07:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I love to cook, and have my favorite stores (and have even been known to drive to Houston just to go to Penzey's). It's just the "cult" aspect that I find amusing - some people talk about Trader Joe's like it's crack or something that they're having a really hard time doing without.

Trader Joe's is not just in California, I know. But, again, it's predominantly people from California who tend to talk about it that way in the forums I'm on, and that leaves the impression that it's predominantly Californians who are "cult members".
You are right about that: there are a couple or reasons: 1-it was started in Los Angeles (actually Pasadena) so of course people in California are more aware of the store and 2-most of the areas Trader Joes has moved into are not as trasit nor have as many moved from those areas to Texas etc.

Nita

Old 06-18-2009, 08:13 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyliviningaustin View Post
mimimomx3-If you have not shopped at TJ's and then you have opportunity too, I think the fear you express, will be excitement, TJ's has amazing stuff, if you like to cook.
Well, if it comes I will try it. I wouldn't stay away 'just because'. I love food way too much!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:24 PM

122 posts, read 407,368 times
TJ has a great wine selection. I personally am not a fan of two buck chuck, but found numerous quality wines at great prices. Of all the things I miss, TJ is the one store I miss. However, I have adapted, and don't feel "cultish" about TJ...but I would love to see one open in Austin!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Well, if it comes I will try it. I wouldn't stay away 'just because'. I love food way too much!

Old 06-18-2009, 11:25 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,885 times
Topaz, the last Larry's I know of which is in Redmond just got bought out by Top Foods and it is an awesome grocery store...much like CM. It's just too expensive for me and since I am a true blue TJ's girl now and have so many things there that are yummy that I crave and live on, I don't go up there unless I am in the area. But it's tough because a really nice Whole Foods is right there too. And the "Central Market" in WA is not the HEB CM as Jennibc pointed out to whomever posted that. I know because I about hyperventilated when I first saw them listed in the phone book but I knew deep down it would be too good to be true. We do have a Z Tejas in Seattle though and that is the real deal thank goodness. Whenever we miss Austin we go and have 6th Street Margaritas!

Old 06-19-2009, 07:57 AM

122 posts, read 310,293 times
I can't get over the people saying HEB is great, it's ok, but far from the store that it's propped up by some. The prices are not too bad, but not really cheap, the selection varies so much from area to area and you can't always get them to special order things for you. Any competition to them is welcomed.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:28 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleytexas View Post
I can't get over the people saying HEB is great, it's ok, but far from the store that it's propped up by some. The prices are not too bad, but not really cheap, the selection varies so much from area to area and you can't always get them to special order things for you. Any competition to them is welcomed.
I guess it has to do with a particular store. When we first lived here several years ago we shopped at the one at the Y in Oakhill. It was kind of skanky. Then they opened the one on Wm Cannon and Brodie and it was fabulous. Having just moved back here we now shop at the one at Escarpment Village and it is superb. A couple of months ago I ran into the one on Wm Cn and Brodie and it is no longer as nice as I remember. I don't know if it has gone hill or whether now that I have Escarpment Village as a comparison so it doesn't measure up anymore.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:03 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I guess it has to do with a particular store. When we first lived here several years ago we shopped at the one at the Y in Oakhill. It was kind of skanky. Then they opened the one on Wm Cannon and Brodie and it was fabulous. Having just moved back here we now shop at the one at Escarpment Village and it is superb. A couple of months ago I ran into the one on Wm Cn and Brodie and it is no longer as nice as I remember. I don't know if it has gone hill or whether now that I have Escarpment Village as a comparison so it doesn't measure up anymore.
It absolutely has to do with the store. There are "levels" of HEB - there are two of them in our little town, one regular, one "upscale", sort of between the regular HEB and Central Market. There's yet another level,l between the "upscale" HEB and Central Market, called HEB Plus. You can't judge HEB by just one store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin