U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:59 AM

2,522 posts, read 3,788,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
Spent several years in San Diego. Watched it grow from relatively sleepy town to bursting center complete with extended commutes, traffic jams and Inland Empires, so-to-speak. This is progress in a nutshell. Some development and cleanup seems to improve things (Horton Plaza) but the magical perfect place is never met. Developers are rarely conscientious of the bigger picture so things tend to get over developed. The end result? Another crowded place that takes forever to get around in and when you get there, you are met with a somewhat homogeneous mix of chain restaurants, entertainment and retail. Welcome to "Pleasantville". Enjoy your Applebees cheesy meal and stop by the Hard Rock in Mission Valley (you kidding me?). Like a giant cafeteria. Middle of the road and safe but not great.

I guess this is Austin or any other city. Do yourselves a favor. When you find a hidden gem of a place, keep it to yourself. Enjoy the adventure and unique aspects before corporate America gets involved and sanitizes everything.
Wisest statement about Austin's "growth" ever penned......indeed, Austin, if no one has noticed, is just another large metro area.....and in the US, large metros = sprawl. Being in the sunbelt, in the fastest growing state of the same, what the heck did anyone expect?....

Indeed, Austin HAS indeed become a giant cafeteria, albeit with great music.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 10:05 AM

714 posts, read 802,526 times
What do I think? I think there are too many people all over the place. I have been doing some traveling recently to other large cities and I don't see much difference between Austin and those cities. Lots of traffic jams, chain stores, me-first attitude, sprawl, homeless people etc...I think that is just the way of our world now. And yes, when I was in high school in the 60s-70s over-population was a big topic. For a time, having an only child was a popular option. Now, mega-families are abundant. The only thing I notice new in Austin is a plethora of cosmetic senhancement type places which locals would have been made fun of in years past. Are these necessary for the California transplants?

Old 06-24-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Everyone likes to think that its just their city/region that is suffering from uncontrolled growth. But it is everywhere, in most every city. The root of all of it is massive, uncontrolled population growth. Resources, locally and globally, are overwhelmed by the masses of humanity. Population growth is at the bottom of almost every crisis we face, but it is too politically incorrect to talk about it, so we just ignore it while all the problems get worse.
Wrong....pop growth and sprawl are very seperate issues.......Detroit's metro has been sprawling for decades, with little to no net pop growth....
just a matter of people moving farther and farther away from the center and perimeter.....give them cheap new housing, and they will come..at least till the financing drops out for the builders and buyers......give them vehicles and cheap gas, and they will push out as well.....just a constant drive for more privacy, space, and "freedom", which ends up, ironically, with collectively taking away all of the same with traffic jams and overbuilt retail spaces.........

In a nutshell, we are simply stupid humans, with evolutionary impulses going back 100,000 years wedded to modern technology........hunting and gathering mode + cars = Sprawl.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:24 AM

3,202 posts, read 2,653,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
when I was in high school in the 60s-70s over-population was a big topic. For a time, having an only child was a popular option.

That concept worked well when everyone played by the rules and society was more homogenous.

When smart successful people talk themselves out of having children or adopting "to curb population growth/for the greater good of the environment" etc. There is someone next in line to take their spot. The only difference is this person won't give a sh** about social responsibilty or sustainable living.

The concept of childless couples boils down to whether people want to have things in life that a family makes impossible: vacations once a month, 8 hours of free time a day, having 200 GB of adult material on the cpu (sorry to be vulgar, but it's true), nice cars, 1 bedroom condos for 500K, etc. It's a personal choice, and it's not my place to cast judgment, I'll let evolution do that.

Last edited by jobert; 06-24-2009 at 10:32 AM..

Old 06-24-2009, 10:25 AM

16,499 posts, read 22,978,962 times
That was a problem that was discussed at the time.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:28 AM

8,642 posts, read 16,407,714 times
I have an only child (mainly due to a difficult pregnancy) and it's amazing how many people act like I'm selfish for making her be an only and that she's going to be traumatized, etc....I just say that it's "quality, not quantity" and that small families have just as much love as big families.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:37 AM

3,202 posts, read 2,653,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I have an only child (mainly due to a difficult pregnancy) and it's amazing how many people act like I'm selfish for making her be an only and that she's going to be traumatized, etc....I just say that it's "quality, not quantity" and that small families have just as much love as big families.
I agree with you. The fact that you probably gave up some creature comforts to have your daughter makes you quite the opposite of selfish, and ahead of most other people. Selfish is never having tried at all to have a family, and cashing in your chips like most other Gen-Xer's have. Of the people my age (30's) that I know, only about 20% of them have kids. I'm just wondering when that demographic as a whole will finally get of their colletive a** and have families. It's a delayed childhood of some sort, with alot of them maintaining the bare minimal amount of responsibility that you would only have found in teenagers and early 20-somethings in the past where their definition of 'Success' in life, is the ability to maintain a quasi-vacation existence similar to retirement from their 20's all the way to the end. I realize that everyone is not of the same mold, but it seems like most people I know are striving for this path in life, and that proportion is way too high. I'm not saying take the safety off, and be the Duggar family, but the idea of being 80 years old with no family should scare the hell out of people.

Last edited by jobert; 06-24-2009 at 10:52 AM..

Old 06-24-2009, 11:07 AM

3,741 posts, read 5,443,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I agree with you. The fact that you probably gave up some creature comforts to have your daughter makes you quite the opposite of selfish, and ahead of most other people. Selfish is never having tried at all to have a family, and cashing in your chips like most other Gen-Xer's have. Of the people my age (30's) that I know, only about 20% of them have kids. I'm just wondering when that demographic as a whole will finally get of their colletive a** and have families. It's a delayed childhood of some sort, with alot of them maintaining the bare minimal amount of responsibility that you would only have found in teenagers and early 20-somethings in the past where their definition of 'Success' in life, is the ability to maintain a quasi-vacation existence similar to retirement from their 20's all the way to the end. I realize that everyone is not of the same mold, but it seems like most people I know are striving for this path in life, and that proportion is way too high. I'm not saying take the safety off, and be the Duggar family, but the idea of being 80 years old with no family should scare the hell out of people.
Actually, I think it is better that people trapped in perpetual adolescence don't reproduce. I think we are getting way off an Austin topic so I will bring it back We've noticed since moving back here that there are many many large families. When we were in Seattle most families had one to two children. Here when we go out we see families regularly with three, four and five. I think it has to do with money. The COL is so high in the NW that you cannot afford to have more than that, plus people wait longer to have kids because they want to own a home first, and when 'starter homes' are at least 400K that takes several years of saving first. When you wait a long time to marry and have children you are able to have fewer. Because housing here is more reasonable I think people start earlier.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:18 PM

34 posts, read 42,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
So it's okay for you to move from California but not other people? Are all other Californians that are moving here the undesirables that you are trying to elude? How do you know they are not just like you?

Sue happy people won't last here - our statutes and common law don't allow the type of tort suits that that have made CA an extremely litigious state. We also don't have the entitlement programs that have bankrupted CA either. There is a different culture here and either CAs that move here will adapt or they will last a few years and move on.

What do you want people to do here regarding Californian's moving in here? Foam at the mouth, take to the streets, pass a law?
Yes, it is OK for me to move to Austin and not them. I'm not sure why you're trying to defend people you've never met. I have. Unlike me, they will not attempt to fit in at all. They will not "Live and Let Live". They will *****, moan, and make everyone's life miserable until they get what they want. When you deny them what they want, they play the part of victim and attempt to demonize you.

Blindly assuming Texas won't end up like California is sheer denial. What do you think happens when a bunch of people from a different culture takes up residence in a new area? Do you think the criminal immigrants that moved to CA have had no effect? Texas is not immune to cultural influence. No place is.

Honestly, i would prefer it if Austin was less welcoming. It's just inviting its own destruction. I mean unless y'all really want to end up like Los Angeles. In that case, keep it up and i'll go somewhere that knows how to stay under the radar.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moekazi View Post
Yes, it is OK for me to move to Austin and not them. I'm not sure why you're trying to defend people you've never met. I have. Unlike me, they will not attempt to fit in at all. They will not "Live and Let Live". They will *****, moan, and make everyone's life miserable until they get what they want. When you deny them what they want, they play the part of victim and attempt to demonize you.

Blindly assuming Texas won't end up like California is sheer denial. What do you think happens when a bunch of people from a different culture takes up residence in a new area? Do you think the criminal immigrants that moved to CA have had no effect? Texas is not immune to cultural influence. No place is.

Honestly, i would prefer it if Austin was less welcoming. It's just inviting its own destruction. I mean unless y'all really want to end up like Los Angeles. In that case, keep it up and i'll go somewhere that knows how to stay under the radar.
Austin reminds me of a backyard BBQ that, at one time, was a hoot....word got out, the yard filled up cheek-to-jowl, and, suddenly, it wasn't such a hoot anymore.....really simple as that,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin