Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 02:30 PM

989 posts, read 2,498,383 times

Advertisements

I was stopped downtown on a weekend at a random checkpoint (red river and 6th street). The officer looked in and saw I was not wearing my belt. He issued a citation.

I already sent in the notice and requested a trial. What are my chances of either getting the case dismissed or suppressing the evidence? The Supreme Court (Delaware v. Prouse) held that random vehicle stops are unreasonable seizures under the 4th Amendment.

Any guidance would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 02:49 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
I believe that not wearing your seatbelt is cause to stop you.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:58 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,844 times
Was it a random stop, or a random checkpoint where they were stopping a number of vehicles?

I believe all a cop has to say is that from outside the vehicle it appeared that your seat belt was not buckled.

I know we went through a lot of these challenges when seat belt laws were first enforced in Canada. It got to the point where the cop just had to say that he could see the shoulder belt hanging beside the door to justify the stop. US courts may have a different viewpoint.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:04 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Yeah, if they were stopping every vehicle and trying to find some issue (DWI, seat belt, etc) you might have a case. If they were only stopping certain vehicles (like ones where the driver is not wearing a seat belt), then you might be out of luck.....

Old 06-25-2009, 03:32 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
I have an old 66 Barracuda. In 66 they had lap belts but no cross chest restraints. Cruising 6th Street, this cop comes flying out of no where and is standing there next to my car. He says license and insurance. ???????? He I am going every bit of 2 miles an hour in a very populated place and I ask, what seems to be the problem Ocifer. He didn't like that one bit. Your getting a ticket for not wearing your seat belt. Say, what? I'm wearing my seat belt... No your not. and if you are your not wearing it properly. Say what, how so. You don't have your shoulder strap attached....
He gave me the ticket. I couldn't stop laughing!!! I beat that real easy, but I had to waste my time doing so.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I have an old 66 Barracuda. In 66 they had lap belts but no cross chest restraints. Cruising 6th Street, this cop comes flying out of no where and is standing there next to my car. He says license and insurance. ???????? He I am going every bit of 2 miles an hour in a very populated place and I ask, what seems to be the problem Ocifer. He didn't like that one bit. Your getting a ticket for not wearing your seat belt. Say, what? I'm wearing my seat belt... No your not. and if you are your not wearing it properly. Say what, how so. You don't have your shoulder strap attached....
He gave me the ticket. I couldn't stop laughing!!! I beat that real easy, but I had to waste my time doing so.
That is a good one, sorry you had to waste your time, but I am glad you beat it..

Now, as for wearing them, here in AR, starting next week they will be mandatory and no more stopping for "probably cause".

Nita

Old 06-25-2009, 04:05 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
It's mandatory to wear seatbelts here too.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:04 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Also wanted to add that all passengers (including backseat passengers) in Texas are required to wear seatbelts now.

And honestly, there's really no good reason to not wear it.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:10 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
I was stopped downtown on a weekend at a random checkpoint (red river and 6th street). The officer looked in and saw I was not wearing my belt. He issued a citation.

I already sent in the notice and requested a trial. What are my chances of either getting the case dismissed or suppressing the evidence? The Supreme Court (Delaware v. Prouse) held that random vehicle stops are unreasonable seizures under the 4th Amendment.

Yes they are unreasonable searches, also just demand a verified complaint on the notice to appear , I am assuming that that is what the cop gave you and had you sign ? DM me if you need more help on how to do it.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:31 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,093,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post

You're gonna have more luck w/ Holt v. State, S.W. 2nd 16 from '94 compared w/ Delaware v. Prouse. Random checkpoints, are not random if they are concentrated in an area where 'sobriety' checkpoints have been conducted in past in the same circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin