U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 06:02 PM

5 posts, read 4,984 times
Default Where are the basements?

Just wondering why basements aren't common around Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 06:09 PM

2,261 posts, read 3,326,713 times
The ground is too rocky. It's expensive to blast holes for basements.

I miss them too.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:13 PM

5 posts, read 4,984 times
Bummer. =(

Old 06-25-2009, 08:10 PM

324 posts, read 567,878 times
Default I'm a Rat Pack

I am a rat pack and I keep wondering how I am going to live without a basement too. I have been trying to part with things and getting ready to have a rummage sale. We also use our basement for an office besides all the storage. I have to get rid of things if we have the good fortune of moving there.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:31 PM

4,326 posts, read 7,953,231 times
It's called an ATTIC. We actually call them the "Texas Basement". We don't need basements because the freeze line is not a million feet below the surface, and as mentioned, it's very expensive to dig out rock. But even in Dallas, it's expansive clay soil and the basements would just move and leak and create a big mess.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:43 PM

Attics don't even come close to basements, at least not what passes for attics in most homes! A basement can nearly double the size of the home and can be used for living space. Attics, not so much.

There's also the garage - which is why so many people have to park in the drive!

Old 06-25-2009, 08:50 PM

4,326 posts, read 7,953,231 times
A "Texas basement" is usually a full walk-out, floored attic space that can store tons of stuff. I'm not talking about a crawl space. Most newer homes now have some kind of walk-out on the second story that gives you access to this space. Sometimes you have to floor it yourself, but sometimes you don't.

But, no, you can't put a pool table in the attic or use it as a gameroom for kids like a basement, but if you're just looking for storage, the attic is where it is.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
A "Texas basement" is usually a full walk-out, floored attic space that can store tons of stuff. I'm not talking about a crawl space. Most newer homes now have some kind of walk-out on the second story that gives you access to this space. Sometimes you have to floor it yourself, but sometimes you don't.

But, no, you can't put a pool table in the attic or use it as a gameroom for kids like a basement, but if you're just looking for storage, the attic is where it is.
Ohhh, gotcha on the "Texas basement". I'd never heard that term before (obviously!) probably because I'm only interested in old houses, which of course usually just have crawl space-type attics.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:58 PM

123 posts, read 525,916 times
Be careful... Do not store your holiday candles in the attic. You will find them melted the next time you want to use them! It gets extremely hot up there in the summer months.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:18 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,016,443 times
*sigh* I really miss basements.

And FTR, they have attics up north too - in addition to basements. Even more storage, and one is climate controlled. And it's also nice to have all of your utilities downstairs and have pipes where there are easily accessible. It is common practice here for newer homes to have their hot water heater(s) in the attic. Seems to me like you are just asking for problems there. If your hot water heater leaks in the basement, you just Shop-Vac the water up and call it a day. If your hot water heater leaks in your attic, you have to replace the floor, ceiling, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin