Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:46 PM

629 posts, read 1,646,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoseph2 View Post
We thought the world of San Diego and bought our first home there. It had everything, including mountains and the golf course.

But we left 3 years later, disheartened. Much of So Cal has this superficial, hollywood culture that was simply appalling. If the beach scores over raising kids, it might be the place for you.

Every place we have lived since then has been increasingly better: Seattle, Madison, Austin.
Madison always seems to be on "Top 10" lists like Austin (if I remember correctly), and I've always wondered why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 10:38 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,812,823 times
I doubt Austin is better than Seattle except for maybe the weather. In Seattle you are so close to Vancouver and Portland....even San Fran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoseph2 View Post
We thought the world of San Diego and bought our first home there. It had everything, including mountains and the golf course.

But we left 3 years later, disheartened. Much of So Cal has this superficial, hollywood culture that was simply appalling. If the beach scores over raising kids, it might be the place for you.

Every place we have lived since then has been increasingly better: Seattle, Madison, Austin.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:50 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,776,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I doubt Austin is better than Seattle except for maybe the weather. In Seattle you are so close to Vancouver and Portland....even San Fran.
Weather is a big deal. I've lived in Seattle, Portland, and Austin...of the three, I would chose Austin. I really hope that I never again have to live in a gray cloudy climate. Or a place with such a high cost of living that only wealthy people can afford nice homes in safe areas with good schools for their children..

Old 06-27-2009, 11:14 PM

629 posts, read 1,646,306 times
Quote:
Get over it.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:31 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,027,836 times
Quote:
Close to San Francisco?!!?!?!?! Clearly you have never been there as it is something like a 14 hour drive - IF you don't hit traffic anywhere on the trip. Additionally, having LIVED 18 years in Seattle and two in Austin, I second Topaz, in that I would pick Austin over Seattle in a heartbeat. Here we have a much more reasonable cost of living, people seem happier here (and overall friendlier) and there is less cynicism. Artsyguy, you've never lived in Seattle, it seems like you have some idealized version of what living there would be like. How can you knock another poster's opinion of what he finds preferable after his/her having lived in both places?

Old 06-28-2009, 09:16 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,044,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebu077 View Post
No, OF COURSE I wouldn't rely solely on a message board to make my decision, HA HA! That would be ridiculous. The message board is just one of many factors. I came the board because I don't know anyone who lives in Austin, and I wanted to get some real, hardcore opinions on it versus the public relations slant of the city's government affiliated websites. Sure, I can read a map...But a map won't tell me exactly how many hours away the largest body of water is from Austin.

Honestly, San Diego needs to be my next stop; I think I already knew in my heart that I would always wonder "what if" if I moved to a different city now. It's just that my family is so adamently against it (again, it's drastically different from the direction in which they have all have chosen to take their own lives, and I think that scares them), I experienced a moment of panic and insecurity in my own ability.

But my gut instinct tells me, has told me for years, that I need to live there (for a little while at least, if not for the rest of my life) while I'm young and free. I'm perfectly content living in an apartment; in fact, I have NO desire to buy a house anytime soon. So it's not like I'd need to worry about the cost of buying a home in San Diego.

San Diego is the right decision for me; I already knew that, but then I lost faith in my own powers of perception.

San diego is a great city

Old 06-28-2009, 02:27 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,259,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Close to San Francisco?!!?!?!?! Clearly you have never been there as it is something like a 14 hour drive - IF you don't hit traffic anywhere on the trip. Additionally, having LIVED 18 years in Seattle and two in Austin, I second Topaz, in that I would pick Austin over Seattle in a heartbeat. Here we have a much more reasonable cost of living, people seem happier here (and overall friendlier) and there is less cynicism. Artsyguy, you've never lived in Seattle, it seems like you have some idealized version of what living there would be like. How can you knock another poster's opinion of what he finds preferable after his/her having lived in both places?
Well, SF is closer to SD than it is to Austin! I think SD and SF are the only places that I could ever live in CA. Maybe the wine country, because I like wine. Anyway, as a young, single, no child person, I say travel and experiment all you want to!!!

Old 06-28-2009, 02:56 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,027,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Well, SF is closer to SD than it is to Austin! I think SD and SF are the only places that I could ever live in CA. Maybe the wine country, because I like wine. Anyway, as a young, single, no child person, I say travel and experiment all you want to!!!
Artsy guy was saying that San Francisco was close to Seattle, as if it were a day trip. My post was questioning his assessment.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:32 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,259,246 times
Quote:
Artsy guy was saying that San Francisco was close to Seattle, as if it were a day trip. My post was questioning his assessment.
No, not a day trip by any means!

Old 06-28-2009, 11:26 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,812,823 times
San Francisco is a quick flight away. Train isn't too bad if you want to vacation in San Francisco for a week or two. I'm not saying it is a day trip from Seattle.

Quote:
Close to San Francisco?!!?!?!?! Clearly you have never been there as it is something like a 14 hour drive - IF you don't hit traffic anywhere on the trip.
Ha ha. Aren't you caring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
Get over it.
When you put it that way. It makes a lot of sense why you would love Austin. There is far more security there. The hills are similar to the ones in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Weather is a big deal. I've lived in Seattle, Portland, and Austin...of the three, I would chose Austin. I really hope that I never again have to live in a gray cloudy climate. Or a place with such a high cost of living that only wealthy people can afford nice homes in safe areas with good schools for their children..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin