Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 07:04 PM

131 posts, read 298,152 times

Advertisements

I'm a 31-year-old single white female with liberal-leaning views. I've lived in Ohio my entire life and I despise it. I'm currently looking to move to a REAL big city (Cleveland, OH doesn't count!) with a vibrant young, single set and thriving downtown scene. I've heard quite a bit lately that Austin has been attracting people like me to it in recent years because it meets this criteria. Is this true?

I need some hardcore, very truthful answers. I'm thick-skinned, so feel free to be blunt! Here are a few more questions:

1.) I'm aware that Austin is hot, but is it humid? The Midwest is extremely humid in the summer months, but I'm not sure how it compares to Austin in this regard. How often does it rain? Does Austin have many days of plentiful sunshine?

2.) Are there job opportunities in Austin for those people in the public relations field?

3.) I've heard that Austin is quite a cultural mecca, and that it is rising in the ranks. Would you say there are plenty of cultural/artistic entertainment options in Austin?

4.) I have a small dog (15 pounds). Is Austin a dog-friendly city? Would I be able to find decent/nice apartment complexes that allow small dogs?

5.) How does the cost-of-living in Austin compare to other major cities? For example, L.A., NYC, Chicago, Boston. What is the average rent for a decent/nice one-bedroom apartment located in or very close to downtown?

6.) How close to the ocean is Austin, in hours? Are there any lakes in or near Austin? Living near the water is extremely important to me.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 07:14 PM

18 posts, read 43,425 times
I'm not from there, but actually have my So Cal house on the market to move to Austin. It is amazing how most of your questions you can find the answers to on the internet if you just look. Yahoo weather is where I started because I wanted to find weather suitable to ride year round.

Austin - Texas Weather Forecast on Yahoo! Weather

Google maps can answer your other questions as far as topography and relation to lakes and ocean. If I can do it, you can do it.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:18 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Why don't you plan a visit soon?

Cost of living is much lower than the cities you cited.

There are lakes in Austin and we are a few hours from the Gulf of Mexico.

It is not as humid here as in the midwest but it is over a 100 degrees as I type this (at 8:15 PM cdt) That said, I live right next to the Veloway and there are several tough folks out there riding their bikes.

Cultural mecca? I'll let others weigh in on that.

The city is dog friendly. I've never lived anyplace where so many people have dogs.

PR job opportunities? I'll let others weigh in, I don't know enough about the industry to comment intelligently.

I think there are enough positive attributes to warrant a flight down to check it out or a LONG drive down. I wouldn't move anywhere site unseen.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:26 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
I shall help you out my good friend and tell you all you need to know about that city. I shall answer your questions.

-No Austin does not attract people like you.
1. Austin is extremely humid the majority of the year.
2. There could be public relations positions open for you but I doubt it will be an easy find.
3. Austin is not a cultural mecca at all. There is no culture in Austin at all whatsoever. It is very country folk and hillbilly there. Also people worship the ever so bloated UT. It's a huge joke to us sophisticated city people. We laugh at the silly people there.
4. Austin is dog friendly.
5. Austin is more expensive than the major cities of Dallas and Houston but it offers far far less. It's virtually a village when compared to Houston and Dallas.
6. If you like the water you might like Hamilton pool which is about 25 miles west of Austin. Barton Creek is popular but I'm not sure if the water is clean and safe to swim in since people take their dogs swimming in it. The ocean is 4 hours away I think. Port Aransas and Corpus Christi have the best beaches. Galveston just outside of Houston isn't bad, however, it is still being reconstructed after the hurricane damaged it.
7. Austin is not truly liberal. It's still a traditional old Texas town that wears muddy overalls and a straw-hat bwa ha ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebu077 View Post
I'm a 31-year-old single white female with liberal-leaning views. I've lived in Ohio my entire life and I despise it. I'm currently looking to move to a REAL big city (Cleveland, OH doesn't count!) with a vibrant young, single set and thriving downtown scene. I've heard quite a bit lately that Austin has been attracting people like me to it in recent years because it meets this criteria. Is this true?

I need some hardcore, very truthful answers. I'm thick-skinned, so feel free to be blunt! Here are a few more questions:

1.) I'm aware that Austin is hot, but is it humid? The Midwest is extremely humid in the summer months, but I'm not sure how it compares to Austin in this regard. How often does it rain? Does Austin have many days of plentiful sunshine?

2.) Are there job opportunities in Austin for those people in the public relations field?

3.) I've heard that Austin is quite a cultural mecca, and that it is rising in the ranks. Would you say there are plenty of cultural/artistic entertainment options in Austin?

4.) I have a small dog (15 pounds). Is Austin a dog-friendly city? Would I be able to find decent/nice apartment complexes that allow small dogs?

5.) How does the cost-of-living in Austin compare to other major cities? For example, L.A., NYC, Chicago, Boston. What is the average rent for a decent/nice one-bedroom apartment located in or very close to downtown?

6.) How close to the ocean is Austin, in hours? Are there any lakes in or near Austin? Living near the water is extremely important to me.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-25-2009, 07:32 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
What you consider hot and humid is very personal. We've had a week of 100+ weather, and it does get humid. You either love it or hate it. I happen to love it.

This is a tough one. Austin is a small city, and it has attracts creatives. UT graduates bunches of advertising/pr/communication majors every semester who are willing to work for a bowl of ramen. It's a tough field to break into. I have several friends at GSDM and other agencies who, as mid to upper management are flooded with resumes. They take the best of the best. I don't want to discourage you, but it's saturated.

I would say yes. We're not Houston or Dallas or San Antonio, but there is are several art museums, symphony and ballet and lots of smaller choral and musical groups. We are 'the live music capital of the world', but I think this is more of a marketing thing than the truth. Austin City Limits is huge, and the festival gets better every year. There is a huge handmade/indie business that thrives here.

Austin is definitely dog friendly, they're all over the trail on Town Lake.

Austin is more expensive than other SW cities, but much cheaper than LA/NY/Chicago/Boston/Paris/Rome.

Austin is about 4-5 hours from Port Aransas, the Gulf Coast, while it's a ton of fun and almost 'kitschy' (I just love it, but hey, it's not the world's prettiest, to be sure)

Thanks in advance!
Well, there you have it. When you're young, this is the time to explore the world and have fun. Do it and give it a shot. Why stop at Austin? Try NYC, London, go for it!

Old 06-25-2009, 07:42 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,035,128 times
Best advice, rather than asking questions, sight unseen, is to go to Austin, rent a car, and see for yourself.....I can guarantee you that it will be different than what you imagine...some ways better, some ways worse.....

If you go there thinking its a mecca, you'll ruin it, and it would be unfair to put that idealization onto a city, anymore than an individual you meet on the web, who is never the same as what we build them up to be sight unseen......keep options open, especially with PR.......Austin is nice, but hardly the last word in PR employment or relocation alternatives...

Good luck...

Old 06-25-2009, 08:10 PM

131 posts, read 298,152 times
You have all been incredibly receptive and kind, and I thank you for your input! Yes, I know that ideally I should go and visit Austin, but I don't have the income to do so unless I'm extremely serious about a city. Just from the little bit I've heard so far regarding the job market and distance from the ocean, I've pretty much ruled Austin out. But I'm sure it's a very lovely city, and it's certainly climbing the ranks on the national stage!

Old 06-25-2009, 08:21 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Default Honest Answers

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
1) It's hot.. and it does get humid. The summer can be downright oppressive. The winters don't get nearly as cold as Ohio, and there is rarely winter weather. You can expect a couple of months in the low 40's to 50's.

2) In a word, no. With UT pumping out PR grads, and not enough PR getting done in Austin, I don't see a lot of work for Publicists. A friend of mine got hired by a PR firm about a year ago-- But he was editor of the local business weekly for years. I guess if there is a PR job you need quite the resume to obtain it. I'd also warn you that I think salaries here in PR, marketing, and advertising are low compared to other areas. Too any people for too few jobs.

3) To me NY an Boston are cultural mecca's. Austin has a few theaters, but if you compare it to a truly big city, no, it's not a cultural mecca. That doesn't mean its not fun or right for you, but there isn't a thriving museum scene, or any internationally renowned art gallery. Of course, again, my reference point is NY.

4) I think you'll find Austin very dog friendly.

5) The cost of living is high for what you get. COL is lower than the cities you mentioned (NY, Boston, La, etc), however, Austin really doesn't compare to those cities culturally or opportunity-wise. Some will argue with me. I am originally from the NYC area, am unhappy here in Austin and I am moving back to the NYC area at the end of the summer. COL is the highest of any Texas City and very expensive for a southern city.

6) Living near the water is important? Wrong city. Try Boston or NY.

Why aren't you considering NY, Boston, or LA? They are all true cultural meccas, on the ocean and seem to be more of what you describe.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:32 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
First off, Austin is NOT a big city. So comparing it to NYC, Chicago, and Boston is like comparing apples to grapefruits.

1) It is obscenely hot (105 today and yesterday). And, yes, it's humid. I realize it gets this hot in the midwest, however, you have to be prepared to deal with it for half the year. It gets old after the first 4 months of sweltering temps. And to say sunshine is plentiful is an understatement. We haven't seen rain in close to forever, which is not really a good thing.

2) Job prospects are generally pretty good.

3) It is hardly a cultural mecca, mostly because it is just not a very big city (see #1). Likewise there are not as many cultural/artisy options as in a larger city as far as museums and such.

4) Yes, it is dog freindly.

5) Again, it is not a major city, so to compare it to one doesn't make sense. It is probably more expensive than Cleveland, but not even remotely close to NYC, LA, Chicago or Boston. But it is generally pretty affordable, relatively speaking.

6) We've got lakes. Not near the size of the Great Lakes you may be used to, but we have 'em. It's about a 4 hour drive to the coast.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:43 PM

844 posts, read 2,019,477 times
Good that you ruled Austin out. If you don't think Cleveland is a big city, you wouldn't be happy in Austin. Cleveland is much bigger, with much more culture like the Symphony and the art museum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin