Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 04:14 PM

264 posts, read 1,094,387 times

Advertisements

Yes, globlal warming... I watched a show on PBS about the water in TX and they said that in 20 years (or was it 2020?), they predict that the whole state from the west, to pretty much the I35 line will become a dessert!! They said that where it is hot, it will be much hotter and dry and where it rains, it will rain more and flood more often. I like to stay informed but when I read or hear these forecasts it scares me, I worry and the worst part... There seems to be nothing we can do about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 04:22 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,659 times
I hear ya readymade. I work outside all year round.. this is what made me move 1500 miles north. I miss texas but not the heat. stay cool

Old 06-27-2009, 04:27 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
High of 70 and low of 31 predicted for Jackson Hole, Wyoming tomorrow! Anyone up for a road trip?
That is just so beautiful, but mountains are ..... especially snow covered. Thanks for cooling me off if only for 10 seconds.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:31 PM

844 posts, read 2,020,149 times
Quote:
When I get in my car, I have to use a t-shirt to touch my steering wheel or I get burned. I'm freezing cold when I'm indoors anywhere but home, and feel like I'm going to die from the heat when I'm outside. I honestly don't know if I can deal with this kind of heat, and I'm beginning to wonder if moving here was a mistake.
You probably just haven't learned the coping mechanisms yet. In the cold, there are things you do to deal and I've found there are in the heat too. Do you have a sun shade for you car to keep the steering wheel cool? Are your car windows tinted? Can you park in the shade and try to walk in shade? I mean it sucks, but it's not usually this bad.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:47 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
At least we're not the only part of Texas suffering! Interesting to look at the current conditions in Austin, Houston, and Dallas from National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report

Austin
Temp: 97
Feels like: 97
Humidity: 27%

Dallas
Temp: 97
Feels like: 101
Humidity: 35%

Houston
Temp: 89
Feels like: 97
Humidity: 58%

Old 06-27-2009, 06:54 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,898,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I have to say, I moved here last August and I was fine. I usually love hot weather, and I was bummed when it started cooling off in October or so. I enjoy 90 degree weather.

But this? This is completely unbearable to me. Other than a stint at Barton Springs last weekend, I pretty much go from my house to my car to work. For the past two weeks. When I get in my car, I have to use a t-shirt to touch my steering wheel or I get burned. I'm freezing cold when I'm indoors anywhere but home, and feel like I'm going to die from the heat when I'm outside. I honestly don't know if I can deal with this kind of heat, and I'm beginning to wonder if moving here was a mistake. With global warning, it's only going to get worse.
Just like the other poster said: get a sunshade! Makes a HUGE difference. I crack the windows as well. The car will still be hot but you won't burn your hands

Also, do you have access to a pool? We find that to be a key element here. When we first came here we were a little put off to live in an 80s complex. "Pool? That's nice but I probably won't use it"...uh, the pool freakin' rocks. I don't even care what I look like in a bathing suit anymore.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:58 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
just hunt out the shade. It's hit 100 degrees in Texas for many, many years before this and it'll pass. We're not joking when we say it gets hot here. Sun shades are a must, I'll 2nd everyone on that! My friend in Angleton said they got rain today.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:23 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
Rode 60 miles today. man it was hot going from the damn to the top of Steiner Ranch.

I saw a lot of bikes doing the dam loop today, you are all crazy :-) oh wait, maybe that means I am too.
I jogged 4 miles today...rode 55 Fri......we are ALL crazy........which is good news, as if we go to hell we can evidentally handle a workout there as well, with someone(Satan) encouraging us, like a drill instructor......
and yes, I DO have a warped mind, thank you very little....

Old 06-27-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
High of 70 and low of 31 predicted for Jackson Hole, Wyoming tomorrow! Anyone up for a road trip?
I am, as long as Billy Joe Bob who lives in that shack promises not to marinate us for dinner.....or do other nasty things.....

Old 06-27-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I have to say, I moved here last August and I was fine. I usually love hot weather, and I was bummed when it started cooling off in October or so. I enjoy 90 degree weather.

But this? This is completely unbearable to me. Other than a stint at Barton Springs last weekend, I pretty much go from my house to my car to work. For the past two weeks. When I get in my car, I have to use a t-shirt to touch my steering wheel or I get burned. I'm freezing cold when I'm indoors anywhere but home, and feel like I'm going to die from the heat when I'm outside. I honestly don't know if I can deal with this kind of heat, and I'm beginning to wonder if moving here was a mistake. With global warning, it's only going to get worse.
Actually, bucko, you didn't move....you died and went to hell....Old Satan just WANTS you to think you moved....you moved all right.....to HELL'S KITCHEN! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA(Evil laugh..)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin