U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-27-2009, 02:07 AM

2,522 posts, read 3,192,200 times
Default 104 degrees Sat - 101 Sun - 100 Mon ---What the heck is going on?

And I'm still jogging daily like a damn fool.......

Two places getting workouts....complex/muni pools and B Springs......

Along with the local power grid.....

Yipes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-27-2009, 07:38 AM

11 posts, read 13,452 times
Should I assume this isn't exactly "normal" this early in the summer? I've read about the heat, but I'm starting to worry it may be too hot, for too long for us. Do the 100s usually last into Sept/Oct? Are the kids doing any activities outside other than swimming during the summer?

I'm heading down to visit on Sunday, interviews on Monday and I think I'll be bringing along a squirt gun to keep me cool!!

Unread 06-27-2009, 08:03 AM

539 posts, read 998,400 times
It's not normal for this time of year, but then again, normal typically is only a few degrees better.

Unread 06-27-2009, 09:19 AM

13,758 posts, read 16,673,747 times
It has been over 10 degrees above normal for about 2 weeks now.

Average high temperatures
June 91
July 95
August 96
Sept. 90

Unread 06-27-2009, 09:28 AM

13,758 posts, read 16,673,747 times
Default A new tip for staying cool...

A new tip for staying cool in this heat:

Take your socks off.

I had been in the habit of wearing socks all winter and finally got around to going barefoot all day yesterday (with sandals when outdoors), and it made a huge difference. I had still been wearing socks with sandals, an Austin tradition during winter. I had forgotten how refreshingly cool our tile floors were in the summer heat. My feet even got cold once yesterday afternoon while sitting in front of a fan.

There are more tips here in this previous thread: How to survive and enjoy the summer heat in Austin TX

Unread 06-27-2009, 10:07 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,655,039 times
My husband was working on some rooftop equipment yesterday. His gauge read 117 degrees on that flat, tar and gravel surface.

This heat is unusual for this time of the summer, but didn't we have 30 or more consecutive days of 100 plus temps last year, too? Maybe my memory isn't serving me well.

Unread 06-27-2009, 10:10 AM

2,522 posts, read 3,192,200 times
Car thermometers working overtime.....mine stopped workin'....

And so did the dog...

Unread 06-27-2009, 10:22 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,655,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwhmoving View Post
Should I assume this isn't exactly "normal" this early in the summer? I've read about the heat, but I'm starting to worry it may be too hot, for too long for us. Do the 100s usually last into Sept/Oct? Are the kids doing any activities outside other than swimming during the summer?

I'm heading down to visit on Sunday, interviews on Monday and I think I'll be bringing along a squirt gun to keep me cool!!
Kids can get out early in the day, but with continued temps like this, it is just not cooling down even in the mornings.

I don't know that it's enough to reconsider your move. It depends on where you are moving from and your tolerance for the trade-off...hot summers/ extended opportunity for outside activities the rest of the year.

I lived my childhood near Lexington, Ky with hot, humid summers and no air-conditioning. We had winters, but it was hard to cool down in the summer. I still can't do the summers there when we visit. Our weather here in summer is typically about 10 degrees warmer than there. I think that, over the summer, you have to consider what the rest of the country is enduring. Sometimes I'm surprised at how hot they are as well. Maybe not right now, but as the summer progresses.

It can still feel hot in September (summer of 2000, for example), but that's usually when we start to get some rain. I don't know the average temps for Sept and Oct, sorry.

Unread 06-27-2009, 10:40 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,380,236 times
This doesn't happen ever year. Some years there are only a few days in the 100s. It probably won't last much longer, this week it will be high 90s. Anyway, summer is only 4 months so who cares, the weather the rest of the year is well worth it!

Unread 06-27-2009, 10:44 AM

5,032 posts, read 7,172,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
This doesn't happen ever year. Some years there are only a few days in the 100s. It probably won't last much longer, this week it will be high 90s. Anyway, summer is only 4 months so who cares, the weather the rest of the year is well worth it!
Summer really starts in May and continues thorough nearly the end of October. We have some pretty hot and muggy days in all those months, April not excluded, but much better than after.

Waco temperatures have tied the record breaker of all times for the past several days...that blasted summer from 1980. Ugh, it was awful and so is this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin