Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 12:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

OP, how'd your visit go? (Knowing that you likely won't be able to respond until later, since you've got interviews today.) Cat fights over neighborhoods aside, did anything particularly appeal to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 12:07 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
Maybe we should start a new rule. You are only allowed to talk about the neighborhood you actually live in.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:50 PM

786 posts, read 2,762,064 times
Maybe amend that to

1) Good or bad about the neighborhood you live in.
2) Good about other neighborhoods you are familiar with, or checked out personally,
3) Bad about neighborhoods you do not live in, ONLY when they can be backed up by facts and other information sources. No friend of a friend comments.

I try to avoid bad mouthing anyplace. I don't know enough to be able to back up any impressions I came away with!

Old 06-29-2009, 05:16 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Circle C feeds into some of the best schools in Austin, get your facts straight.
Fact 1 (for 2006 & 2007).

Texas School Performance Maps

Fact 2 (for 2008).

2008 Accountability: List by District

Circle C feeds into some good schools,..... but the "facts" found in the websites above suggest that it doesn't feed into "some of the best schools in Austin".

No catfight here, just tired of statements being made (& being read by folks considering a move here) that are sometimes inaccurate. Just because there are dozens of Circle C & Steiner residents on this board doesn't make their opinions any more valid than anyone else.

If you want to attack me ("get your facts straight").....when i state that Canyon Creek ES & Westwood HS are the two best ES & HS in greater Austin.....then post a link (or fact)that refutes it.

(& fwiw, the Circle C commute to downtown is at most 3-5 miles & 10 minutes shorter than the Canyon Creek commute....look it up on one of the map sites....not exactly a deal breaker for some).

Old 06-29-2009, 05:18 PM

11 posts, read 24,671 times
TexasHorseLady - I'll be down there next Sunday. Good thing - as it looks like I'll need about a week to map out the route!!

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm excited about my first trip to Austin.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:49 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
This forum is for the exchange of information AND opinion. Information is factual, opinion comes from personal experiences, observations and hearsay. If I'm trying to make up my mind about something, I rely on my personal experience and what I hear from different sources...of course I 'consider the source', but I'm never afraid to hear a variety of opinions.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:26 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post

(& fwiw, the Circle C commute to downtown is at most 3-5 miles & 10 minutes shorter than the Canyon Creek commute....look it up on one of the map sites....not exactly a deal breaker for some).
I don't need to look it up on a map: WE DROVE IT. We were just in the market for a house and we did our homework. It takes us 13 minutes to drive downtown on a Sunday afternoon from where we now live in Circle C. The Sunday afternoon we went and looked at houses in Canyon Creek, it took us almost half an hour to get downtown. Circle C is a strait shot up Mopac. For Canyon Creek you have to deal with 620 either to 2222 and then down or to 183 to mopac. It took longer. I have no idea the difference in rush hour. For us, living that far from downtown was a deal breaker.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:58 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I don't need to look it up on a map: WE DROVE IT. We were just in the market for a house and we did our homework. It takes us 13 minutes to drive downtown on a Sunday afternoon from where we now live in Circle C. The Sunday afternoon we went and looked at houses in Canyon Creek, it took us almost half an hour to get downtown. Circle C is a strait shot up Mopac. For Canyon Creek you have to deal with 620 either to 2222 and then down or to 183 to mopac. It took longer. I have no idea the difference in rush hour. For us, living that far from downtown was a deal breaker.
Newbie....if you had looked at a map, you wouldn't have driven 2222 to (360?) to 183 to Mopac.

That's OK...I'll continue to enjoy my 16 mile/22 min. curvy drive (down 2222) to downtown with gorgeous hill country views (coming & going)....avoiding the (george) "strait" shot down 183.

hound <---gets a chuckle out of folks wondering what's wrong with our backwards little burg because the GPS doesn't work quite right.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:21 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceshots View Post
Maybe amend that to

1) Good or bad about the neighborhood you live in.
2) Good about other neighborhoods you are familiar with, or checked out personally,
3) Bad about neighborhoods you do not live in, ONLY when they can be backed up by facts and other information sources. No friend of a friend comments.

I try to avoid bad mouthing anyplace. I don't know enough to be able to back up any impressions I came away with!

I like those rules

Old 06-29-2009, 11:28 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
This forum is for the exchange of information AND opinion. Information is factual, opinion comes from personal experiences, observations and hearsay. If I'm trying to make up my mind about something, I rely on my personal experience and what I hear from different sources...of course I 'consider the source', but I'm never afraid to hear a variety of opinions.
Yes, but in my opinion, the previous poster did make a good point about the sheer number of Steiner and Circle C residents who post here. This is just me, but I imagine when newcomers come around asking questions that they are almost led to believe that there are only 2 neighborhoods in Austin that are any good and have the only good schools in the entire Austin Metro area, when that is not entirely true. There are many, many, many good areas around and in Austin besides Steiner and Circle C with families who have young children and impromptu neighborhood get togethers, visits in the front yard, amenities, etc....I agree on opinion about a place based on factual and personal experience of said place, but hearsay I have a problem with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin