Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 10:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,182,148 times

Advertisements

Okay, then you have a better chance. If you were buying right next to the Preserve, there'd be an unending supply of critters all waiting to fill the vacancy left by whatever critter you got rid of.

I've not seen a snake in the house in my 40-odd years in Austin, but I've not lived where new building is going on, either, and when we build on their habitat, they do tend to hang around for a while trying to figure out what happened. So keeping them out of the house is likely not too difficult - the yard, perhaps moreso. The good news is that the vast majority of snakes in Texas are not venomous, and most of them are actually useful (the rat snake, for example, one of our more common snakes, is called that because of their preference for dinner - if you have rat snakes, you'll have much less of a rodent problem, if any, than you would otherwise, all without poisons or the necessity of carcass disposal).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 01:28 AM

10 posts, read 40,634 times
Yeah, I heard of rat snakes. But, like I mentioned before, the very thought of snake is freaking me out. So, there is no effective snake control service that I could use other than keeping the yard clean etc.?

Old 07-03-2009, 02:18 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,588,200 times
Not that I've ever heard of.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:08 AM

477 posts, read 1,574,841 times
I live on the greenbelt and we've only had two snakes in over 3 years. One was a 7 foot king snake which eats Rattlesnakes so we left it alone and watched it from the window. The other was a tiny one in the front yeard. We have never even sprayed for bugs and until last week when it was really hot, we only had 3 scorpions in 3 years, but last week we had 3 in one day because it was over 105 degrees and I guess that's when they go looking for a cooler place to hang out. I've never seen a tarantula or even a larger spider for that matter. Maybe we've just been lucky..

Old 07-03-2009, 11:17 AM

16,787 posts, read 48,831,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newaustinite View Post
We are considering buying a new home in Steiner ranch area in a new subdivision that has greenbelt on two sides and lots of trees (canyon views) across the street. My husband and I really like the house and the views it offers but I have snake phobia. I've heard and read a lot about snake sightings in the greenbelt area but I still want to get everyone's input.
1. How often do you see snakes in the greenbelt areas?
2. Is there an effective snake control program that I can use? any information to keep the snakes away from the property would be helpful.
3. Would all the construction activity stir up the snakes? This subdivision still has lot of vacant space and new homes will be built in this area?
4. Can the snakes get into the house and into the attic? When is the active season for snakes?
5. Would a good pest control help eliminate all the bugs in and around the house?

I am imagining the snakes, scorpions and tarantulas etc. getting into the house, attic, yard and just about everywhere and just not able to make a decision and just terrified about the idea of these creatures biting one of my kids. Is there any place in Steiner where I do not encounter any of these? Thanks in advance.
"Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep".

Every part of Austin has greenbelts with bugs, racoons, possums, and probably a few snakes. We have lived next to greenbelts for 32 years in Austin, a good part of that time with construction going on around us, and I have never yet seen a live snake. The closest I've seen was a small dead one the other day near the mailbox.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:21 PM

26 posts, read 141,400 times
Default Don't think snakes are a huge issue in Austin

I could be wrong, being new to Austin myself, but being bitten by a venomous snake is extremely unlikey in Austin. The chances of being bitten by a venomous snake in Austin is one in a million, if not greater in favor of not being bitten. Chances are FAR greater of being hit by lightening, attacked by bees or being involved in a car accident. I personally think the car accident is a much more pragmatic issue to worry about. I moved here from a state with PLENTY of rattlesnakes and results from my research showed rattlesnakes are a rarity here locally due to development, although you do hear the odd story here and there.

Scorpions i hear are more common, however none of them in this part of North America are life threatening. Head a bit west, like New Mexico and further, and it is a concern. Would love to hear if any knowledgeable folks can confirm this?

I am a Mom to a young son so I worry about these things too, but it is far more dangerous and unhealthy to keep the young ones inside. Being outside, unless it is too hot, is good for their development. Too much TV is far more harmful than a bug bite.

I live in new subdivision near 360 and 2222 (not too far from Steiner) and have greatly enjoyed the wildlife we have seen in the neighborhood.

Best of luck.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:12 PM

11 posts, read 29,128 times
NewAustinite -

We live in a new house in Steiner, off of a greenbelt - and I can tell you that you will see snakes and scorpions. Not trying to freak you out - just telling you the truth.

Even with a pest control company - we had about 3 scorpions in the house. Some neighbors - much more. I hear their sting is similar to a wasp.

Seen about 4-5 garter snakes. Neighbor had a coral snake last week. Had a dead rattler in the front entrance last year. There is a product called "Snake Away" - looks like kitty litter, smells like moth balls. Supposed to work pretty well - until it rains and washes away.

Someone mentioned cats - cats don't work - we have coyotes in the area so residents don't let their cats outside.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:37 PM

7,987 posts, read 10,326,019 times
We live in Steiner, on a greenbelt. We see snakes every now and then - usually in the spring. They are mostly rat snakes, but we have seen a coral snake before.

We have a scorpion in the house every month or so on average. A lot of times we find them in the light fixtures, but I was stung in my sleep by one a few months ago. We also see those nasty, huge tree roaches (((((shudder))))) every once in a while, but thankfully not too often.

And we have seen 3 or 4 tarantulas, all of which were outside.

We also have lizards everywhere, but I think they are kind of cool. Every now and then a gecko will make it inside, but 99% of the time they stay outside. Mostly geckos, some chameleons, and one big brown one that lives under out deck.

We also have lots of rabbits, but they're not really scary.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, you will see creepy things. And you will probably see more of them since you will be in a construction area. However, I don't think the critters are specific to Steiner. It's just part of living in Central Texas. We have friends who live in Forest Creek in Round Rock and have killed 3 rattlesnakes in their yard.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:28 PM

10 posts, read 40,634 times
Thanks everyone. I am still trying to shake out my fear of snakes. I almost dropped the idea of moving but we are at a stage where it is too late. How do you all react when you see a snake? Do you guys call someone to pick it up? or just wait till it goes away? The siding of the house that we are going to purchase is almost on the edge of the greenbelt. The trees are very very close to the wall. There is a big strip of trees and then there are neighbors houses. There is a small strip of greenbelt in the backyard but you can see neighbors houses thru those trees. Do you see that as a huge issue with snakes? I've heard of them getting into the garages. When does this usually happen? I can keep the yard clean and remove the debris and are there any other precautions that I can take? I know I am just magnifying things but I just can't seem to get away with the fear.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:19 PM

132 posts, read 494,834 times
I'm own the company SR uses to maintain and build the trails in the greenbelts. (Talon Trails - Trail Builders in Austin, Texas, Specializing in Path Design & Construction) I've been working out there fairly frequently for about five years now, thrashing around in the woods where there is (was!) no trail and on the trail and have only come across one snake, a rat snake. I respect practically all wildlife and watched it go about it's business.

I think a better representation comes from the residents who live there, and several have chimed in on the conversation.

Since a few people mentioned the wildlife they've seen, I spotted coyotes, hawks, turkey vultures, raccoons, skunks, plenty of deer, song birds, a rat snake, scorpions, wolf spiders (I think,) tarantulas, daddy long leg spiders, etc. The trails are a great place to get away from the streets and enjoy nature!

D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin