Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 09:04 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mintjulep View Post
The other day during rush hour traffic on Mopac I saw something that really took the cake. There was a woman in a car next to me (driver, not passenger, mind you) with one hand holding her cell phone, the other hand holding a cigarette out the window, and had her right foot hanging out the window. I almost died. This is the kind of situation where I would've loved for a cop to have seen her.
If it was a typical rush hour with traffic only moving 15 mph that may not have been so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
A black BMW? That's my Ex-Brother-in-Law! Small World!
That was probably him.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
When the road conditions permit - I admit I drive slightly above the speed limit in the left lane. But there is not one single reason for someone to drive SLOW in the left lane unless they are slowing down for left turn. But many people driving the cars I listed do so - as do others yakking on their mobile phone. It seems talking on the phone causes their right foot to retract.
I try to drive 4 to 5 mph over the speed limit when in the left lane, unless there are cars in front of me going slower. And I always keep a safe distance between my car and the one in front. I find it especially annoying when I'm in that situation and someone gets right on my bumper. The safe space ahead of me seems to annoy these bumper riders, like how dare I leave so much space between me and the car ahead, I should be up there riding their bumper to make them go faster or move over.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:04 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I try to drive 4 to 5 mph over the speed limit when in the left lane, unless there are cars in front of me going slower. And I always keep a safe distance between my car and the one in front. I find it especially annoying when I'm in that situation and someone gets right on my bumper. The safe space ahead of me seems to annoy these bumper riders, like how dare I leave so much space between me and the car ahead, I should be up there riding their bumper to make them go faster or move over.
Yep. These are likely the same folks who gripe when someone is only going 5 or 10 or 15 over the limit in the left lane. Also the ones who will fill in that space (even if there's really not enough room for them) if they're in a position to do so.

The standard that I was taught is that you should be able to pick a stable object that traffic is going by, start counting as the vehicle in front of you passes it "one one hundred two one hundred" and when you finish you should be passing it or not be quite there yet.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:31 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Well, I have to vote the worst drivers as the "self-appointed police" variety. They are similar to road-ragers in my book, but instead of tailgating or cutting you off, they'll camp out in the left lane going EXACTLY the speed limit (or less). If you are going faster or want to pass, sorry, they are going to knowingly prevent you from doing it. Or, if you are in a 2-lane merging situation, and you're going faster than someone in the right lane... well, they'll go ahead and camp out in both lanes so you have to end up merging at THEIR defined speed and behind THEM. Or, perhaps they are getting ready to turn into a shopping center, and see that you are quickly approaching from behind (probably at the speed limit, BTW)... so they slow down EXTRA slow, almost to a complete stop, to make sure you understand that they can take as long as they want to make a right turn...

Anyway I see them here a lot, these "self-appointed speedbumps" or vigilante drivers, who feel that if they see someone driving too fast or otherwise breaking a traffic rule, it's up to THEM to make those people pay. It's not -- that's what traffic cops are for. These people have no clue and no regard to how their traffic impediment affects tons of people behind them and the general traffic flow, not just the lone speeder their trying to teach a lesson to.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:44 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Yep, I'll say it. The worst Austin drivers are:

Austin drivers.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Well, I have to vote the worst drivers as the "self-appointed police" variety. They are similar to road-ragers in my book, but instead of tailgating or cutting you off, they'll camp out in the left lane going EXACTLY the speed limit (or less). If you are going faster or want to pass, sorry, they are going to knowingly prevent you from doing it. Or, if you are in a 2-lane merging situation, and you're going faster than someone in the right lane... well, they'll go ahead and camp out in both lanes so you have to end up merging at THEIR defined speed and behind THEM. Or, perhaps they are getting ready to turn into a shopping center, and see that you are quickly approaching from behind (probably at the speed limit, BTW)... so they slow down EXTRA slow, almost to a complete stop, to make sure you understand that they can take as long as they want to make a right turn...

Anyway I see them here a lot, these "self-appointed speedbumps" or vigilante drivers, who feel that if they see someone driving too fast or otherwise breaking a traffic rule, it's up to THEM to make those people pay. It's not -- that's what traffic cops are for. These people have no clue and no regard to how their traffic impediment affects tons of people behind them and the general traffic flow, not just the lone speeder their trying to teach a lesson to.
I agree with you that it's not generally the responsibility of other drivers to enforce the traffic laws, though I can certainly understand the impulse to do so in the face of some of the nutcases out there that think they're Nascar drivers (most professional race drivers that I've known - no, wait, ALL professional race drivers that I've known - have driven exceedingly cautiously on the road, because, guess what, they don't have anything to prove and aren't compensating for any lacks they might have in other areas).

However, I have a question. Why does it bother you so much for someone to drive the speed limit (not below the speed limit, mind, but the actual speed limit) in the left lane if they are pacing or passing the traffic in the right lane? Or even if there isn't any traffic in the right lane? Barring, of course, those few stretches of highway in Texas that are posted "left lane for passing only" (in which case if there's no one in the right lane that they are passing they, and you, should be in the right lane even if you're going the speed limit).

Old 07-04-2009, 10:54 AM

I have another one! The people who, when it is posted that the right lane is ending (or it's clear that it is due to an issue in that lane ahead), instead of merging as soon as it is clear that it is necessary, rush to the head of the line and want everyone else to let them "cut".

People who merge as soon as it is possible after noting the necessity get let in quite easily. People who (again with that sense of entitlement) see this happening and rush ahead, or even go AROUND people who are merging properly, because they are Extra Special and shouldn't have to wait along with everyone else, need to be in this poll for worst drivers in Austin (or anywhere).

Old 07-04-2009, 11:15 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Pick-up truck drivers. Seems like the bigger the truck, the bigger the idiot.

And driving slowly in the left lane is one of my biggest pet-peeves. It is really bad on 620. The speed limit is 65, and there is ALWAYS someone going 55 in the left lane, creating their own little roadblock.

I saw a good bumpersticker once. It said, "If I'm passing you on the right, you're wrong."

Old 07-04-2009, 11:17 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times
Anyone using a cell phone or texting while driving.
My husband would say and he often does anyone driving a Ford truck.
I get frustrated by the sense of entitlement and lack of civility towards others that many Austin drivers have. If people think like they drive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: