U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-04-2009, 12:33 PM

22 posts, read 70,505 times
Default Looking for women's cycling group

Hello Austin Forum,

My family and I just moved to Austin. I am looking for a cycling club that welcomes/trains beginner women cyclists. I have experience with mountain biking, but would also like to ride on the roads. Comraderie amongst others with the same beginning to road bike interest would be great. If anyone knows of such a group, I would love to hear receive information via this site.

Thanks!

Epark2112
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 02:47 PM

1,886 posts, read 3,652,903 times
Have you done any rides with the Austin Cycling Association? They are very inclusive and host 2 rides each saturday and sunday with multiple ride distances. www.austincycling.org ; They also have what is called hosted rides which are more ad hoc and graded on skill level so you can pick which one suits you best.

I would also check out your local YMCA they may have people that are looking for riding buddies. Where are you located? I've may be able to hook you up with a few folks. Also, most local bike shops hold regular rides. Just check before to see if it is a no drop ride or not.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 3,841 times
I recommend you check out
ATX Babes on Bikes:
ATX Babes on Bikes | Facebook

and Ladies' Night at The Driveway:
Ladies' Night at The Driveway, plus a call for VOLUNTEERS!!! | Austin Texas Bike... Stuff

Old 07-05-2009, 11:06 AM

6,822 posts, read 10,507,142 times
You should call Bicycle Sport Shop Bicycle Sport Shop - Bike sales, service and rentals. Austin, Texas and ask the salesperson for suggested groups. They know about most of them.

For mountain biking, contact the Austin Ridge Riders -- Austin Ridge Riders Mountain Bike Club

Old 07-05-2009, 11:06 AM

108 posts, read 192,990 times
ATX Babes on Bikes | Facebook

Lots of info here, too:
Austin on Two Wheels : The Online Magazine of Austin Cycling Culture

Old 07-05-2009, 04:48 PM

I think those groups may be too hardcore for the OP. I wanna ride with the ATX Babes on Bikes :-)

Old 07-06-2009, 12:21 PM

Smile Thanks for info

Thanks to everyone for the valuable info. Sadly, I will not be able to investigate road cycling until our family is rested and settled, since we just moved here. We are all having some sleeping issues (getting accustomed to the new house) and I certainly don't want to ride in a drowsy state. I had optimistically posted the question thinking the sleep issues would be settled by now. My husband is going to start checking out the MB trails in our neighborhood soon since he's getting better rest than me! However, I am still planning to make the road cycling part of my repertoire of outdoor activities. Hopefully, soon!

Woodenville guy, we are in the 360/2222 area in case you know of any women in the area who wouldn't mind riding with a newbie, but I'll be sure to check with the local shops/clubs as well.

Thanks and happy riding!

Old 07-06-2009, 01:09 PM

That is a super area for riding, if you like hills :-) I'll think about some people to ride with ya. good luck on the sleep.

I would seriously check out ACA, they are a really good group.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:35 PM

The hills are great around here, however I question the safety with all the not so careful drivers. Often, folks just aren't looking or expecting to see cyclists but I acknowledge Austin has a different mindset from other urban areas and is definitely more bike friendly. (I personally think bikes are a great mode of transport, but that's a different conversation!) I could imagine doing 360 or 2222 at the crack of dawn on a sunday. Would like to find similar rides with less cars. I see people riding these roads all the time, but I personally would be concerned about doing it myself.

Thanks for the input!

Old 07-06-2009, 06:38 PM

49,291 posts, read 45,833,123 times
not sure of the bicycling group maybe check with local bike shop also i like sierra club as a source,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin