Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,356 times

Advertisements

I am a single 28yr old, moving to TX. Never visited and I plan to take a short house hunting trip this month sometime.

I am looking for a Condo w/ garage for someone that enjoys an active lifestyle. Running, motorcycles, sportsbars, rockclimbing gyms, boats, going out, coffee shops you name it.

My budget is less then 150k and I would like to be able to rent it in after a few years. I will be commuting to Kileen so I am primarly looking at Roundrock so I have an hour drive or less but still close and able to check out Austin (6th street? I have heard).

Is Round Rock or Georgetown a good choice for a young single guy looking to work hard but also have fun with my free time?

If so what neighborhoods/subdivisions would you suggest?

-morz90
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 07:43 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
You can definitely do all the active lifestyle stuff in Round Rock and Georgetown, but there isn't a lot of singles "going out" in those areas. Generally you'll be going into Austin for any real nightclubs, but there are some good sports bar places in Round Rock. But the sports bars will generally be filled with husbands/wives, families, and Dell employees dressed in business casual slacks.

If you're looking to rent your place out in a few years, I would not buy a condo in Round Rock or Georgetown. You'd be better off trying to buy a house under $150K in those places (it's possible) as you'll probably end up renting it to a family when you're ready. Personally, if I were you, I would really look closely at how much it would add to my commute to live in Austin proper (North Austin). A condo would rent much easier there as you could even rent to students. A UT student would never rent a condo up in Round Rock or Georgetown.

I think the decision is whether or not you want to be driving extra for your commute or driving extra on the weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin