Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:44 PM
AGA AGA started this thread

729 posts, read 2,706,628 times

Advertisements

PLEASE NO DRAMA

I know I am opening up a can of worms here, but I need some help. Looking for a divorce attorney....does not need to be cut throat/hard core as our issues are going to be fairly typical. No large estate, doubt there will be kid drama, No major investments/pensions/etc... just down and dirty divorce! House, cars, kids...the usual stuff.

I don't really think I am comfortable with the flat fee do it yourself things, but I don't really know how they work so who knows.
Possible a mediator would work, so suggestions for that too would be appreciated.

I am the party that is not pushing for the divorce, if that matters, but I fear it is gonna happen anyway.

I have been given the name of Becky Beaver, however I think she may be a little overkill for the situation....I hear she is a real ball-buster....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 04:14 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,599 times
I'd heard Becky Beaver was the best in town from a few different sources.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:31 PM

434 posts, read 1,080,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA View Post
PLEASE NO DRAMA

I know I am opening up a can of worms here, but I need some help. Looking for a divorce attorney....does not need to be cut throat/hard core as our issues are going to be fairly typical. No large estate, doubt there will be kid drama, No major investments/pensions/etc... just down and dirty divorce! House, cars, kids...the usual stuff.

I don't really think I am comfortable with the flat fee do it yourself things, but I don't really know how they work so who knows.
Possible a mediator would work, so suggestions for that too would be appreciated.

I am the party that is not pushing for the divorce, if that matters, but I fear it is gonna happen anyway.

I have been given the name of Becky Beaver, however I think she may be a little overkill for the situation....I hear she is a real ball-buster....
how much are you willing pay?

do you really need an expensive lawyer?

you yourself are the only reliable judge for who you would like to hire.

it doesn't hurt to make some initial (free) consultations or phone inquiries.

here is one:

http://www.rm-lawoffice.net/

call them and let us know what you think. (tell them SC referred you)

Last edited by austinite45; 07-08-2009 at 05:52 PM..

Old 07-08-2009, 05:35 PM
mwv

207 posts, read 673,589 times
I would recommend doing extensive research. Divorce attorneys are the most corrupt and incompetent in the legal field- they have a vested interest in draining your money as much does your spouse. I'm totally serious.

Make sure you track everything your attorney does with logs and that you record all telephone calls. Set deadlines and expectations while still being realistically flexible. Do not trust him or her to do things right or to do right by you or you will be taken to the cleaners twice.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:48 PM

434 posts, read 1,080,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwv View Post
I would recommend doing extensive research. Divorce attorneys are the most corrupt and incompetent in the legal field- they have a vested interest in draining your money as much does your spouse. I'm totally serious.

Make sure you track everything your attorney does with logs and that you record all telephone calls. Set deadlines and expectations while still being realistically flexible. Do not trust him or her to do things right or to do right by you or you will be taken to the cleaners twice.
really? divorce attorneys are the most incompetent bunch? could you elaborate on that a little bit?

seems that they have been doing a good job collectively ... America has a 50% divorce rate for first marriages, 60% for second marriages

Old 07-08-2009, 07:04 PM

I will do the research....just needed a jumping off point! Yellow pages not a great resource for things like this!

Old 07-09-2009, 07:26 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
I would suggest Keith Maples, among others. I have worked professionally with him and respect him. At the time I quit doing custody evaluations, Keith was just starting to get into a model of cooperative divorce settlement. He's a good guy and an effective attorney as far as I was ever able to see. There are quite a few others, but I would definitely recommend you retain someone who is actually part of the family law bar.

Becky Beaver is very skilled and effective, but unless she has changed her style, she is extraordinarily aggressive IME.

I personally prefer skilled, low key and non-inflammatory.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:31 AM

Thank you all for your input! I am researching and gathering info and I appreciate all your support. I am hoping for the best, while preparing for the worst.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:37 AM

389 posts, read 1,630,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
I'd heard Becky Beaver was the best in town from a few different sources.
Same here.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:02 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
Becky Beaver is undoubtedly a skilled family law attorney. However, it is possible that she may have the capacity to contribute to the process becoming more adversarial than would otherwise be the case. Of course, this may be partly an artifact of the particular litigants who choose to hire her and who can afford to pay for her services (I've no idea how her fees compare relative to other notable members of the Travis County family law bar).

Besides Keith Maples, whom I mentioned previously, Piper & Powers are a good firm. Another family attorney whom I like a lot is James (Jim) Arth. I used to think quite highly of John Campbell, as well, though I would wonder if he is still practicing, given his advancing years. Let me suggest that prevailing in court isn't always the end all and be all of a successful outcome and may in fact represent a pyrrhic victory in some situations. I suspect that certain kinds of litigants gravitate toward certain kinds of lawyers, assuming one removes the often determinative factor of fees from the equation. The worst thing in the world - and the most pathological - is an original suit that is then followed by one modification suit after another (war without end, essentially).

Last edited by doctorjef; 08-01-2009 at 09:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin