Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:07 AM

73 posts, read 124,336 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from MA. We're wondering where the great public school districts are for our kids, 8 and 4. We're a gay family so we're looking for a welcoming neighborhood as well. I'm also going to be looking for work as a public school teacher (preK to 2nd grade) and wondered if anyone had any recommendations for websites for job listings. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 12:14 PM

324 posts, read 1,309,019 times
school district eanes isd, austin isd, round rock isd, leander isd, georgetown isd for starters. there are highing freezes everywhere in austin area, but a job does show up occasionally on individual websites

Old 07-09-2009, 12:20 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,941,941 times
The most welcoming neighborhoods are going to be within the Austin ISD itself, but Eanes ISD has the strongest reputation for its schools. I don't think you will want to live within the other school districts mentioned in the foregoing post. I say this as a gay, partnered male who lived in Austin for many years. The school districts that cover Williamson County (Leander, Round Rock, etc) are generally fine, but I think you and your family will likely be happier living within Austin itself. Eanes ISD actually largely covers the small incorporated suburb of Westlake, but that is Austin for all practical purposes (though the demographics are different from the most gay friendly Austin neighborhoods). I really think you will want to stay within Travis County and either within Austin itself or within very close-in burbs.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:23 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,275,685 times
I've had just such a family recently - they started out in Dripping Springs (leased until they got familiar with the area) where they were quite happy, and now are happily settled in Elgin (they wanted more acreage for horses with good soil, thus the move).

You'll fit in in most areas as long as you're comfortable with the fact that most people won't care either way if you're a gay family. I'd recommend Dripping Springs, Leander, Georgetown, Lake Travis school districts as some places to check into, but what else are your interests? Price range? That might help more in giving you pointers.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:20 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,178,448 times
You might want to check the Circle C area -- the schools have received a really high rating. It really depends on where you live and what you want to do. We liked Central Austin for the lifestyle -- it was really walkable. We didn't like the small sq footage and the property taxes in the areas where they had good schools. Therefore we decided for a little more room and less property tax, we'd head out to SW Austin. We've been there since October and really like it.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:26 AM

73 posts, read 124,336 times
We're in MA now and the prices of houses are unbelievable. We're looking to spend around 300K. If we got a pool, that'd be great but not a deal breaker. I'd love a walkable neighborhood, with stores, libraries, people out and about. Of most importance is the schools for the kids. I really appreciate all the responses!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:47 AM

You will have to be out in the burbs for that price. I would suggest looking into Shady Hollow, which is in far south Austin, outside the city limits (south of Circle C, where you might also find something acceptable at your price point). My partner and I lived in Shady Hollow for over 10 years. It's a bit inconviently located to more central areas of Austin -- not actually all that far, just not the most efficient ways of getting into town from there. Still it's a nice community and probably still pretty well priced for you.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:09 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,784,433 times
Central homes within your price range occasionally pop up for sale, so don't give up if that is what you and your family want. They're typically older, smaller homes, but they can have a lot of charm. I can think of one right now, in the 78756 zip code, less than a block from a library and under $300,000. That area is assigned to "good" schools. Work with a realtor who is willing to keep an eye out for property over a longer period of time, if living central is something you find desirable.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:54 AM

The problem is, most of these houses aren't going to be what you have in mind. I love them, but it's only me and my partner, and you even mentioned the possibility of a swimming pool. One zip code area of south Austin, somewhat closer in, where you might luck into something of interest would be 78745. It's an older neighborhood and you would need to be very selective, but there are a few nice 1960's/70s ranch style houses that would be relatively spacious, with nice shady yards. The area bounded by Ben White on the north, Manchaca Rd on the east, and 290/S. Lamar on the west would be an area where such houses in your price range might come up. However, I'm not so sure about the schools, esp elementary school boundaries. Probably not so great from that aspect of things. Oh yeah, forgot to give a south boundary for the area --I'd say extending to Stassney. The HS therefore is almost sure to be Crockett. Most people will probably say this area is shot down due to the schools, but I'll be interested to see if anyone has any favourable input on the area.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:25 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,072,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dearmschris View Post
We're in MA now and the prices of houses are unbelievable. We're looking to spend around 300K. If we got a pool, that'd be great but not a deal breaker. I'd love a walkable neighborhood, with stores, libraries, people out and about. Of most importance is the schools for the kids. I really appreciate all the responses!
You're getting good information here. I just want to add though that although homes in Austin are very affordable compared to expensive areas such as MA and CA - they aren't "cheap." Homes in good school districts or neighborhoods with good schools automatically carry some premium.

Homes in Eanes ISD are consistently high to very high. Homes in Austin ISD will vary greatly based on neighborhood. AISD has some very good schools and some terrible schools.

I suppose the suburban areas are less variable with the exception of Lake Travis ISD where waterfront and similar properties will carry a premium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin