Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 03:06 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,896 times

Advertisements

I've never heard of this company before and I don't know if they're local or not. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them at all.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 03:10 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,493 times
I'm pretty familiar with most Austin builders. I've never heard of Tandis. Maybe they are custom?

Just checked out their website. They are not custom. Looks like a low end tract builder similar to KB Homes. Must be new to the Austin market.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
I'm pretty familiar with most Austin builders. I've never heard of Tandis. Maybe they are custom?

Just checked out their website. They are not custom. Looks like a low end tract builder similar to KB Homes. Must be new to the Austin market.
That's exactly what I was wondering. I have read bad things about KB, so I was wondering about them. Thanks for your input.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:40 PM

260 posts, read 1,331,284 times
Never heard of Tandis in Texas but I have heard of them out west. A lot of builders are trying to get into this market because they can make money here where they can't other places. Not a custom builder, a VOLUME builder.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek ATX View Post
Never heard of Tandis in Texas but I have heard of them out west. A lot of builders are trying to get into this market because they can make money here where they can't other places. Not a custom builder, a VOLUME builder.
Ugh! Not a good sign! Thanks Derek ATX!

Old 11-04-2008, 09:43 AM

3 posts, read 9,044 times
Default Tandis Who are they really

I am a Tandis homeowner and this is the real story.

First, They are listed as a semi-custom volume builder. They have been in business a short time and are primarily located out of California. Th homes have a California open plan feel and are built very well and take a long time to build as opposed to other volume builders which there is an abundance of in Central Texas. The builder is primarily in Kyle, TX -South of Austin.

Second, This home is not even in the same arena as a KB home. The warranty is a 2-10 home warranty -which is average. I have a very well insulated home with a huge lot which in Austin would cost a small fortune for 2900SQFT.

Third, They are a good second step home, in the price range of 89-105 per SQFT with many include options other builder do not offer. Service is slow because they are also so small, and the build is slow too, but they do look at energy efficency (my home 298.50 avg electric monthly).

Good overall buy. Low tax area, Newer builder from CA.

Hopefully this helps and is a honest answer.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:45 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdipalma View Post

First, They are listed as a semi-custom volume builder. They have been in business a short time and are primarily located out of California. Th homes have a California open plan feel and are built very well and take a long time to build as opposed to other volume builders which there is an abundance of in Central Texas. The builder is primarily in Kyle, TX -South of Austin.

Second, This home is not even in the same arena as a KB home. The warranty is a 2-10 home warranty -which is average. I have a very well insulated home with a huge lot which in Austin would cost a small fortune for 2900SQFT.

Third, They are a good second step home, in the price range of 89-105 per SQFT with many include options other builder do not offer. Service is slow because they are also so small, and the build is slow too, but they do look at energy efficency (my home 298.50 avg electric monthly).

"Low tax area". What does this mean?

& would a 2900 sq. ft. home cost approx. 290K? (based on your comments above)

What is a "huge" lot?

Thanks.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:33 PM

183 posts, read 686,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdipalma View Post

Hmm, none of that seems cheap to me.

We paid $255,000 (2 years ago) for our 3300 sqft, 3 car garage house on a cul de sac in a golf course community in Round Rock. Our builder is Meritage, definitely a step or two (or ten) up from KB. Our monthly electric runs us about $150-$200 (and our house isn't considered energy efficient or "green"). We are currently selling our house for $82 a sq foot and we have 4 beds, 2.5 baths, media room, game room, office, granite, tile, wood etc. Our home is worth every penny (and probably more). I think you may have had the wool pulled over your eyes when you bought your home.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 9,044 times
Default Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbean View Post
Hmm, none of that seems cheap to me.

We paid $255,000 (2 years ago) for our 3300 sqft, 3 car garage house on a cul de sac in a golf course community in Round Rock. Our builder is Meritage, definitely a step or two (or ten) up from KB. Our monthly electric runs us about $150-$200 (and our house isn't considered energy efficient or "green"). We are currently selling our house for $82 a sq foot and we have 4 beds, 2.5 baths, media room, game room, office, granite, tile, wood etc. Our home is worth every penny (and probably more). I think you may have had the wool pulled over your eyes when you bought your home.

This should answer both previous comments.

First, I paid about 205,000 for my home and yes that is not 89-105 per sQFT as quoted. I merely mentioned what the sales listing were currently.

I would say that the home listed above, in Round Rock, given better market conditions and sales, plus the economy concerns, would actually be worth allot closer to 300 - 350K. It is definitely allot nicer than the Tandis series, but the Tandis series are a bit higher in quality than a KB or some lower end DR Horton homes.

I was merely trying to help establish a refernce point for anyone interested in this builder, right now. Many builders are selling homes and Specs for considerably less than a year ago, great time to buy, bad time to sell.

I never stated that Tandis was or was not a "green" builder. I do not have that information. I merely mentioned they take some extra time for energy efficiency items, that some other builders in their catagory, do not do. However, many homes from KB, DR Horton, PaceSetter above 2500SQFT are rated to have 290-350 per month electric bills based on energy SQFT rating, via PEC not Austin Energy. I do not have any Meritage Homes info, but looked them up and found they offer quite a nice product also. A bit higher in price currently than a Tandis, but offer a little more too.

Just a reference point, each home is diffrent and can vary based on many factors but, the builders typically build the same way. The builder mentioned, in Brehans Ranch-Round Rock, is selling homes in the same price range 100-125 SQFT. Nice plans, very nice homes, but much higher taxation area though. Per the web, actual sales were not confered.

The comment, previously, was not for or against Tandis, The builder has their good and bad points. Its an above average builder, basically a bit higher than middle of the road.

Now to address the taxation issue, on election day, HMMMM

Identify that Tandis homes are basically in Hays County. Which has 12-15% lower taxes on AVERAGE than Williamson County, and or Travis County. They are lower in taxes due to their location. FYI This is a fact and can be identified by looking at your taxation statement and comparing to the Appraisal district web sites which are posted.

Some of the lots are 120 x 160 not the standard 60-80 x 100 standard lots. A golf course home community like plum creek or those in Round Rock would have a varied large and small lot configuration which would be similar or better.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:44 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Well, I am checking out their website and the first thing I notice is that the text is Times Roman instead of the easier to read serif fonts, such as Verdana or Ariel. So, they have a low budget webmaster who doesn't know this basic web design 101 issue. Doesn't mean they are not a good builder, but first impressions matter. It's a lousy, cheesy website home page.

Reading further, the content of the website is written at an 8th grade level, sentences ending in prepositions, run-on sentences, etc.

A quick look at the standard home features reveals a pretty bare bones list, common for a budget builder.

Their preferred lender is a California lender, so they haven't established a relationship with a local lender yet.

Those are my observations. I haven't been inside any of their homes or visited their communities, but I'd say you're looking at a starter home product and a company with no local roots, so I'd proceed with due caution. Also, if there are any resale homes in these communities, have a look at resale value and find out how far below the new home price the plans are selling for, because that's what your home is worth the day you move in, not what you paid.

By the way, taxes are not necessarily cheaper in Hays County. Taxes are $0.50 higher in Belterra than they are where I live in Travis County. You have to look at the specific community, regardless of the county.

steve

Last edited by austin-steve; 11-04-2008 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin