Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:08 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times

Advertisements

Just checking to see what you all really mean weird? San Fran & NOLA are weird but I do not see the weirdness in Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 08:23 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times
Austin is considered to be weird by Texans who, unlike people in the rest of the country, mainly use the rest of their state as a frame of reference for everything rather than the entire US. Taking this into account, Austin is "weird" for Texas because the state is known for its conservatism and repressive social environment. But if Austin were in any other state, it would be considered average or even more conservative than average.

This carries over to a lot of other areas too. Take natural beauty for example. Texas is one of the least naturally beautiful states in the U.S., so when you stumble upon a genuinely nice place like Hamilton Pool or Barton Springs, it is seen as Shangri La by Texans. But these places would pale in comparison to your everyday road trip destination in Maine or Northern California, for example.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that a huge percentage of Texas natives still live in Texas. I have met many people from Texas that have not even left the state!

Old 07-15-2009, 08:43 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
Austin would be cousin "IT"

Old 07-15-2009, 09:46 AM

76 posts, read 424,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Austin is considered to be weird by Texans who, unlike people in the rest of the country, mainly use the rest of their state as a frame of reference for everything rather than the entire US. Taking this into account, Austin is "weird" for Texas because the state is known for its conservatism and repressive social environment. But if Austin were in any other state, it would be considered average or even more conservative than average.

This carries over to a lot of other areas too. Take natural beauty for example. Texas is one of the least naturally beautiful states in the U.S., so when you stumble upon a genuinely nice place like Hamilton Pool or Barton Springs, it is seen as Shangri La by Texans. But these places would pale in comparison to your everyday road trip destination in Maine or Northern California, for example.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that a huge percentage of Texas natives still live in Texas. I have met many people from Texas that have not even left the state!
Wow. It's rather harsh of you to say that "Texas is one of the least naturally beautiful states in the U.S." So how much of Texas have you actually seen? Ever been out Big Bend? Ever traveled to the Piney Woods of East Texas? Taken a lazy boat ride in the marshy Caddo Lake? Or watched a sunset with your toes in the sand on South Padre Island? Maybe gazed upon the Marfa Lights?

The thing about true Texans (natives and transplants alike) is that we are proud of the this place we call home. So what if you think California or New England is prettier? That's great, but we like it here. And in fact, it's pretty bad manners to put down us down. You certainly have a right to your opinion, but it is just that -- your opinion.

And by the way, Texas has a popluation of roughly 24 Million folks, I'd venture to say that a good chunk of those people have actually been to another state or two, and some of us bumpkins might even have traveled to another country -- and I'm not just taking about Mexico.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:52 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
thanks for saying what I wanted to say, McDavis....except that you didn't put in bad words like I would have

Old 07-15-2009, 10:04 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Well said, McDavis. Whenever I read a post like the one you're replying to, I have to wonder at just how inexperienced the person is if they really believe those things.

Including, of course:

"Taking this into account, Austin is "weird" for Texas because the state is known for its conservatism and repressive social environment."

If "live and let live, and please extend the same courtesy" is considered repressive, whereas an attitude of "if you're not a Democrat or liberal, you're pond scum" is not, then, yes, perhaps Texas as a state has a "repressive social environment".

But somehow I don't think that means what you think it means, brattpowered.

By the way, yes, I have been out of the state, even lived in Seattle briefly, have even been out of the country (and not just Mexico - Scotland is my second true love after Texas, for example), as have my children (at 25, my daughter, 5th generation Texan through my side, is getting quite the impressive passport - England, Scotland, France, Iceland, the Netherlands, the Caymans, Canada, and counting - and is currently living in Canada - true love will do that to a girl). In fact, most of the Texans I know have been to several countries.

Again, one wonders what on earth you're basing your analysis of an entire, enormous state, with many beautiful areas, and your broad brush of its 24 million people, on.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:16 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times
McDavis, like you said-- we all have our opinions. I have been to those places except for Caddo Lake and Marfa. Anticlimactic. State pride seems to make things prettier for a lot of people. As far as being repressive, things like these two examples come to mind. It seems like a lot (not all 24 million, mind you) of Texans like to have the live and let live courtesy extended to themselves and people who think like them, but that's it.

Chico's Tacos controversy draws protests on both sides Friday - KVIA.com El Paso, Las Cruces - Weather, News, Sports -
Fort Worth mayor apologizes for raid on gay bar | AP Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6529632.html - broken link)

Old 07-15-2009, 10:30 AM

848 posts, read 2,127,753 times
Quote:
McDavis, like you said-- we all have our opinions. I have been to those places except for Caddo Lake and Marfa. Anticlimactic. State pride seems to make things prettier for a lot of people. As far as being repressive, things like these two examples come to mind. It seems like a lot (not all 24 million, mind you) of Texans like to have the live and let live courtesy extended to themselves and people who think like them, but that's it.

Chico's Tacos controversy draws protests on both sides Friday - KVIA.com El Paso, Las Cruces - Weather, News, Sports -
Fort Worth mayor apologizes for raid on gay bar | AP Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6529632.html - broken link)
I felt more "repression" in places like San Diego, south Orange County and Tampa Bay compared to Houston. Houston is a great open city compared to those places!

Repression of Latino culture is a constant in San Diego. Repression of African Americans in Tampa Bay is a constant. It's not like that in H-town, where it's an open flow of differing races. In fact, Texas has a better attitude toward Mexico than California...and we've got a much longer border and pretty much the same illegal issues as well.

Houston's got Asians, open gays in City Council. Houston's had a black mayor, black police chiefs and a wayward independent liberal woman mayor (unlike the poodles of San Diego's mayoral history). San Diego, ah, not so much, if at all.

Houston's got Chinese and Vietnamese street signs...so yeah, Texas is sure backward all over by your lights.

So let's not blanket "Texas" this or that as "repressive." Depends on where you are.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:42 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
As far as being repressive, things like these two examples come to mind. It seems like a lot (not all 24 million, mind you) of Texans like to have the live and let live courtesy extended to themselves and people who think like them, but that's it
Interestingly, I've found that it's far more often people who ostentatiously declare themselves liberal and open-minded (again, I don't think those words mean what they think they mean) who badmouth anyone who doesn't hew the party line or live just like them and lack courtesy to those who might be of a more conservative, or even not-as-liberal, bent of mind. But that's just my observation, and to be honest, it's based more on on-line observations than real life.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:17 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
I felt more "repression" in places like San Diego, south Orange County and Tampa Bay compared to Houston. Houston is a great open city compared to those places!

Repression of Latino culture is a constant in San Diego. Repression of African Americans in Tampa Bay is a constant. It's not like that in H-town, where it's an open flow of differing races. In fact, Texas has a better attitude toward Mexico than California...and we've got a much longer border and pretty much the same illegal issues as well.

Houston's got Asians, open gays in City Council. Houston's had a black mayor, black police chiefs and a wayward independent liberal woman mayor (unlike the poodles of San Diego's mayoral history). San Diego, ah, not so much, if at all.

Houston's got Chinese and Vietnamese street signs...so yeah, Texas is sure backward all over by your lights.

So let's not blanket "Texas" this or that as "repressive." Depends on where you are.
Some people here in other posts have mentioned that Houston is the most underrated city in the US, and that Austin is the most overrated in Texas...while I sorta agree about Austin, I 100% agree about Houston...and I'd say Houston is more arty and "weird" as well as having more bizarre residents......lots of folks geting their "Freak on" in Houston..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin