U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2009, 08:31 PM
 
1,150 posts, read 1,525,143 times
Reputation: 621

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Just checking to see what you all really mean weird? San Fran & NOLA are weird but I do not see the weirdness in Austin
Generally speaking anyone who declares themself 'weird' is not weird. Its a government sponsored initative to try and preserve that Austin vibe that is rapdibly exiting the city as it becomes larger, more suburban, and more corporate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2009, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
16,504 posts, read 23,002,555 times
Reputation: 12806
It is NOT "government-sponsored" - sheesh!

If you'd like to be actually educated about what "Keep Austin Weird" means, go to the website of the guy who coined the phrase originally (I remember, I knew him at the time and had one of the original bumper stickers way back when) and see what HE says it means.

Anyone else who claimed it since then is simply co-opting it and changing the meaning for their own purposes and doesn't have a clue what it really means - which means they don't qualify as Austin weird, especially if they think it should be commercialized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2009, 09:07 PM
 
1,150 posts, read 1,525,143 times
Reputation: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
It is NOT "government-sponsored" - sheesh!

If you'd like to be actually educated about what "Keep Austin Weird" means, go to the website of the guy who coined the phrase originally (I remember, I knew him at the time and had one of the original bumper stickers way back when) and see what HE says it means.

Anyone else who claimed it since then is simply co-opting it and changing the meaning for their own purposes and doesn't have a clue what it really means - which means they don't qualify as Austin weird, especially if they think it should be commercialized.
Ok maybe bad choice of words but you'll agree government has latched onto it and uses it to promote the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2009, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
16,504 posts, read 23,002,555 times
Reputation: 12806
Actually, if you read the website, it's not government that's "latched onto it", but a commercial entity that, over the objections of the creator, trademarked it and defends that trademark. A reason why I will not buy anything with the saying on it, as much as I might agree with the sentiment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2009, 09:44 PM
 
3,156 posts, read 3,463,317 times
Reputation: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Most people now work in an office. Most of the good jobs are in big cities but people want the cheaper, newer houses so they live in the suburbs. So you have to drive into the city to have that good paying job but you want the cheaper house in the suburbs.

So yes people always complain about the traffic and the commute but they're not willing to give up that good job in the city. So they always complain about this but nobody is willing to do anything about it.



I know I've said this before but you have to know some of us looked for housing near the city and it was unaffordable. As far as the housing here being "cheap"....geeeze, who's responsible for that? It isn't like all of us can afford to build our own home with top of the line stuff.

Maybe I just didn't look in the right places but there was nothing we could get that compares to what we could buy here north east of Austin. Yes, the commute is an issue but with the toll road it does make it better. If I could have some wishes I would change some things but magic doesn't cut it.

Sorry for the rant. And personally, I don't want to change Texas, I think Texas was doing things just fine before I got here. However, I still have some opinions and this is a forum.

Actually, I like the fact Austin has less government and only meets every two years. I think it's great! Gives people time to think first. Other states should do the same. How about Washington take a hint too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2009, 11:55 PM
 
Location: H-town!
1,016 posts, read 1,067,913 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I think the FREEDOM of the two men supersedes your desire for your children to grow up in some kind of bubble where they only encounter straight people. It's not lewd or obscene for people to kiss, so gay, or straight, everyone has the same freedom to do so in public.

The fact that you find it weird and ugly is (1) too bad and a much more a statement about you than about them and (2) not nearly grounds to infringe on the equality rights of others.
Yeah I agree. There's definitely things in this world that I'm not going to try. There are things that are definitely not my cup of tea but I"m not going to try to stop other people from doing it. I'm against just about any type of censorship and I'm all about freedom of doing almost anything you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 12:00 AM
 
Location: H-town!
1,016 posts, read 1,067,913 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
I know I've said this before but you have to know some of us looked for housing near the city and it was unaffordable. As far as the housing here being "cheap"....geeeze, who's responsible for that? It isn't like all of us can afford to build our own home with top of the line stuff.

Maybe I just didn't look in the right places but there was nothing we could get that compares to what we could buy here north east of Austin. Yes, the commute is an issue but with the toll road it does make it better. If I could have some wishes I would change some things but magic doesn't cut it.

Sorry for the rant. And personally, I don't want to change Texas, I think Texas was doing things just fine before I got here. However, I still have some opinions and this is a forum.

Actually, I like the fact Austin has less government and only meets every two years. I think it's great! Gives people time to think first. Other states should do the same. How about Washington take a hint too?
Go ahead and express your opinion. I don't mind. Yeah I hear ya about the affordability issue. If you want to live close to downtown (close to the jobs) then you're going to pay out the yang yang. Also I wasn't really talking about Austin but America in general. There's things people always complain about but they rarely do anything about them. It's a lot easier to complain than it is to come up with solutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 07:47 AM
 
3,156 posts, read 3,463,317 times
Reputation: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Go ahead and express your opinion. I don't mind. Yeah I hear ya about the affordability issue. If you want to live close to downtown (close to the jobs) then you're going to pay out the yang yang. Also I wasn't really talking about Austin but America in general. There's things people always complain about but they rarely do anything about them. It's a lot easier to complain than it is to come up with solutions.
What can the average person do to bring down the price of homes in and around downtown areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 06:52 PM
 
Location: H-town!
1,016 posts, read 1,067,913 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
What can the average person do to bring down the price of homes in and around downtown areas?
Nothing but what I'm saying is a lot of people can afford to live close to downtown but they want the most bang for their buck. Most people can afford to live close to downtown but they want the bigger house in the suburbs for the same money. So complaining about the commute doesn't make sense to me. You can't have it both ways. Do you want a short commute or a big house? You're not going to get both unless you're making lots of dinero. A lot of people just like to complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX!!!!
3,742 posts, read 5,447,799 times
Reputation: 1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Nothing but what I'm saying is a lot of people can afford to live close to downtown but they want the most bang for their buck. Most people can afford to live close to downtown but they want the bigger house in the suburbs for the same money. So complaining about the commute doesn't make sense to me. You can't have it both ways. Do you want a short commute or a big house? You're not going to get both unless you're making lots of dinero. A lot of people just like to complain.
I don't think this is accurate at all. Why don't you pull up some homes that are 1200 square feet that are close in with decent schools. What you will find is those are still going to be close to 400K. Most people cannot afford that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top