U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-15-2009, 12:56 PM

4,609 posts, read 6,065,646 times
I would say that Austin is more like The Munsters of cities. Really rather like the Fred Munster of cities -- loveable and well-meaning but a little lacking sometimes in the fashion department.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 01:04 PM

2,522 posts, read 3,552,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I would say that Austin is more like The Munsters of cities. Really rather like the Fred Munster of cities -- loveable and well-meaning but a little lacking sometimes in the fashion department.
If Austin is FM, does that make Houston "Grampa"?....

http://www.jimmyakin.org/images/grandpa_munster.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-15-2009, 01:14 PM

14,266 posts, read 19,608,077 times
http://www.jimmyakin.org/images/grandpa_munster.jpg (broken link)

That is our new mayor, isn't it?

Old 07-15-2009, 01:19 PM

2,522 posts, read 3,552,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

That is our new mayor, isn't it?
LOL!....

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/polopoly_fs/1.1736557!image/330558681.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_260/330558681.jpg (broken link)

Actually, the new mayor looks like Shrek

http://www.reelmovienews.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/lgfp1322100-authentic-ogre-shrek-2-poster.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-15-2009, 01:19 PM

906 posts, read 1,412,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Just checking to see what you all really mean weird? San Fran & NOLA are weird but I do not see the weirdness in Austin
Keep Austin Weird was a slogan invented in support of local businesses. Plain and simple. Austin is far, far more like the rest of Texas than anywhere in California.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:30 PM

25,170 posts, read 33,126,258 times
No Austin in general isn't weird except for that time the buffoonish cop shocked the old grandma with a taser. Also somebody recently posted a bunch of obese hippies riding around town in motor-carts protesting the war in Iraq. And that God-Foresaken transgendered man.

If you want to see real weirdos look at the photo gallery here from another Texas city: The Church Dallas Event Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Just checking to see what you all really mean weird? San Fran & NOLA are weird but I do not see the weirdness in Austin

Old 07-15-2009, 02:32 PM

25,170 posts, read 33,126,258 times
Houston is one of the best cities in Texas...if not the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
I felt more "repression" in places like San Diego, south Orange County and Tampa Bay compared to Houston. Houston is a great open city compared to those places!

Repression of Latino culture is a constant in San Diego. Repression of African Americans in Tampa Bay is a constant. It's not like that in H-town, where it's an open flow of differing races. In fact, Texas has a better attitude toward Mexico than California...and we've got a much longer border and pretty much the same illegal issues as well.

Houston's got Asians, open gays in City Council. Houston's had a black mayor, black police chiefs and a wayward independent liberal woman mayor (unlike the poodles of San Diego's mayoral history). San Diego, ah, not so much, if at all.

Houston's got Chinese and Vietnamese street signs...so yeah, Texas is sure backward all over by your lights.

So let's not blanket "Texas" this or that as "repressive." Depends on where you are.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:04 PM

16,166 posts, read 21,801,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
Keep Austin Weird was a slogan invented in support of local businesses. Plain and simple. Austin is far, far more like the rest of Texas than anywhere in California.
No, it wasn't. Why do people keep saying this? It was CO-OPTED and trademarked by some young men who should have known better, for that purpose, over the protests of the person who created the phrase and printed and handed out, free, the first bumper stickers.

I had one of the first ones, given to me by Red, himself, long before the degrading of its meaning by those wishing to make money off of it.

Thus, I will never purchase any "Keep Austin Weird" merchandise made by this company, because it is entirely against the meaning of the saying, and apparently leads those who weren't here then or don't know the history into believing a false history of the phrase.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:25 PM

802 posts, read 1,168,838 times
I would refer to this thread, complete with pictures

Which city has more freaks? Austin or Houston?

Last edited by nomore07; 07-15-2009 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: Because it's the weird thing to do

Old 07-16-2009, 01:20 PM

80 posts, read 21,027 times
[SIZE=3]I agree with Brattpowered. Austin is not weird or even particularly liberal. Austin is like just most other cities in America that has a high percentage of college educated citizens living in the city limits. Austin just seems weird to the rest of Texas because for the most part Texas as a whole has a low percentage of college educated citizens or even citizens that graduated from high school. The rest of Texas mistakes educated opinions as being liberal and weird for the most part. [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin