Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:57 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
I would refer to this thread, complete with pictures

Which city has more freaks? Austin or Houston?
By looking at these pictures I would definitely say Austin has more freaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Both states have a huge problem with legal and illegal low-skilled minorities.....just a fact.....and it brings down hugely what would otherwise be two of the most advanced state economies in the US...if both states become hugely majority minority, they surely can't perform cheap labor for each other....something has to give...perhaps this is the larger reason so many middle-class anglos are fleeing Cal for Texas and other states....will they flee Texas when it manifests the same problems that will inevitably train the Texas coffers the same as cal is being drained now?......

Just a reality we really can't talk about, but one that has the most impact on both states now AND in the near future...
Yes people will flee Texas. Some other state will become the next boom state and everybody will go there next.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Odessan in Austin View Post
Who said I was talking about rural Texas? These hayseeds thrive all over the state. Have you spent much time in Midland, Lubbock or for that matter Dallas. Face it, Texas is firmly set in the Bible Belt and Austin is a nice oasis surrounded by ignorance.
The whole south is the Bible belt. From Texas to the east coast up to VA. By the way it's 7000 years not 3000 years.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Because she's insulting people she's never met in her zeal to be another Austin cheerleader. There aren't megachurches in Every other place in Texas, except for the major metros. There aren't even only Christians in tiny litte towns all over the state. I know quite a few people who are athiests and wiccans who live in small, gulf coast towns. I don't think Austin is the bestest place in the whole world. I like it, but really don't think it's so great that I'll put down everyone else and every place else to give it a hip, hip hooray.
A cousin of mine her religion is Wiccan. She lives in a small town next to the Gulf Coast just like you said. Here in Houston I've met several people that are atheists. 95% of the people I know don't really care about religion. They don't go to church. They never talk about God. Most of the people I know are either non-religious or not very religious. Some of the posters in this thread definitely have the wrong impression of TX. Not everybody in the south is a Bible beating, gun toting, racist, NASCAR watching fool.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:52 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Some of the posters in this thread definitely have the wrong impression of TX. Not everybody in the south is a Bible beating, gun toting, racist, NASCAR watching fool.
There are also plenty of Christians who could care less about guns and NASCAR. And are anything but racist. There are also NASCAR-loving, racist atheists. And gun-toting Wiccans. There are also lots of fools who are none of the above. Let's not paint each group with such a broad brush!

Old 07-17-2009, 10:17 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
And there's nothing wrong with gun toting, Wiccan or otherwise. (And, yes, I know some of those - nice people.) Or NASCAR, for that matter, just not my cup of tea.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:42 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
It's not a church. It's a nightclub/concert hall/events center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
This definitely does not look like your usual church. This reminds me of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. At the Rocky Horror Picture Show there are a lot of interesting looking people there.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:05 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
Austin, anyway, certainly isn't a hotbed of fundamentalism. It has, for example, an extremely liberal and gay-welcoming Baptist congregation, University Baptist. It has many "Reconciling in Christ" (i.e. gay welcoming) Lutheran and Methodist congregations. It has plenty of Episcopalians, most pretty progressive. It has a lovely Reform Jewish congregation. Etc Etc. Even Dallas, TX has the largest predominantly gay congregation in the world, The Cathedral of Hope. Yes, there are God botherers (to use the British term for Bible bangers) in Texas, but it ain't the whole story by a long shot.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:12 PM

434 posts, read 1,080,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Texas actually has a lower percentage of citizens with high school educations than every other state plus Washington DC.

High school diploma or higher, by percentage (most recent) by state
reality is even worse if you count the illegal Hispanic immigrants. worse still is their sheer lack of basic social etiquettes and manners -- playing loud music wherever they go, throwing garbage wherever they go, shouting, honking, verbally harassing females on the streets ...

Texans are definitely not smart. that's why brain dead crack head GW Bush managed to get into the governor's office and the White house.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
There are also plenty of Christians who could care less about guns and NASCAR. And are anything but racist. There are also NASCAR-loving, racist atheists. And gun-toting Wiccans. There are also lots of fools who are none of the above. Let's not paint each group with such a broad brush!
Well a lot of people paint southerners with a very broad brush. A lot of people in the northeast and the west coast paint southerners with what I said. Quite a few people in these areas think that Texans are just a bunch of conservative, backwards cowboys. I always try to dispel these myths when I come across them. I have plenty of proof that not all southerners are this way. Most of the people I know don't care about religion, don't care about NASCAR, aren't conservative but liberal and think Obama is the best thing since sliced bread. They talk about Bush and Cheney like they're more evil than Hitler.

So I have tons of proof in the pudding to combat the usual southern stereotype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin