Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:00 PM

6 posts, read 16,451 times

Advertisements

Planned Parenthood just is not for straight women. They provide GLBT friendly services too. So make appointments with them if you want a healthcare provider who supports the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 05:13 PM

279 posts, read 1,163,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I'm curious, isn't this a new form of prejudice? Gays who only do business with gays. How is that any different then whites who only do business with whites?
Its not a new form of prejudice...that's just weird to even suggest, its just easier to open up and talk about gay issues with a Dr who understands and without being discriminated from one who doesn't live the lifestyle and understand......seriously though!

Old 07-22-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
What I am personally wondering is... when do you find the time to bring up gay issues with your dentist? Most of the time I spend there involves having a hygienist stick metal instruments in my mouth.
If you have a preference of sex when you go to your doctor, its basically the same thing....just like some woman only prefer woman gyno's....I guess that's prejudice too.....seriously....who has some answers without going into debates

Old 07-22-2009, 06:05 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasboi View Post
... its just easier to open up and talk about gay issues with a Dr who understands and without being discriminated from one who doesn't live the lifestyle and understand...
Doctors are well trained and experienced in treating all types of people - very few doctors will "discriminate" against any person for any reason.

Frankly, your posts read that you are interested in going to a doctor who either promotes, or lives the lifestyle that you do...

Old 07-22-2009, 06:36 PM

205 posts, read 617,731 times
Texas_boi started this discussion posing this question, seeking some advice:
Looking for any gay or gay friendly Dentists/Doctors in the Austin area. Left mine in Houston and feel more comfortable talking about gay issues especially with my MD. Any around?
I have to say, this was a reasonable request which was adequately explained as to his reason for it. One of the things professional doctors do is take care of their patients in the area of mental health: emotional and psychological welfare is just as important as physical wellbeing.
Personally, I don't like medical centers because you never know which doctor you're going to get. So I have always elected to keep to a doctor that has his own private practice. It is really important to find a physician you feel comfortable with. Someone you know you can come back to and not retell a new doctor. I am surprised there hasn't been anyone able to provide a doctor or dentist's name he could consider. He didn't say the doctor has to be gay, just someone who he could feel comfortable going to.
If you can't help him out with an answer to his question, then please refrain from making belittling remarks. It offends my sense of fairness and reasonableness, this forum has the ability to build new friendships and bridge divides. Let's not create or deepen divides.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:10 AM

629 posts, read 1,653,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Doctors are well trained and experienced in treating all types of people - very few doctors will "discriminate" against any person for any reason.
But not all. And I don't think "discrimination" is the issue here. It's all about comfortability. Have you seriously NEVER been to a doctor - or for that matter done business with anyone who you didn't feel comfortable with?

That is all this is about, so why are you trying to make it out to be more? What doctors out there have LGBT people been to that were comfortable talking about their sexuality with?

Old 07-23-2009, 11:13 AM

629 posts, read 1,653,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnaiy View Post
I am surprised there hasn't been anyone able to provide a doctor or dentist's name he could consider. He didn't say the doctor has to be gay, just someone who he could feel comfortable going to.
If you can't help him out with an answer to his question, then please refrain from making belittling remarks.
In all honesty, I'm interested in this thread because I'm looking for a good doctor myself. I hope someone out there has a decent recommendation.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:28 PM

205 posts, read 617,731 times
Texasboi I was motivated to make a call to a gay friend of mine - sorry I haven't got the name of the primary physician yet as his partner has the contact information is out of town, but recently this friend's partner had a serious foot injury and was treated for it at the Scott & White medical center in Round Rock. All of the physicians and nurses, administrative staff were excellent and highly recommended for urgent care needs. Hope this helps. When I get more, I will post.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:13 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,863 times
As a lesbian, I don't care if my doctor is Gay or Straight, male or female, just as long as they are competent and make me feel better when I'm sick.

But that's just me...

Old 08-31-2009, 06:22 PM

Default Thank You!

Thank you very much Schnaiy! I'm glad you understand and in fact read what I was asking without automatically putting me down for some reason and attacking my words without offering help like others on here.

I don't understand why people won't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnaiy View Post
Texas_boi started this discussion posing this question, seeking some advice:
Looking for any gay or gay friendly Dentists/Doctors in the Austin area. Left mine in Houston and feel more comfortable talking about gay issues especially with my MD. Any around?
I have to say, this was a reasonable request which was adequately explained as to his reason for it. One of the things professional doctors do is take care of their patients in the area of mental health: emotional and psychological welfare is just as important as physical wellbeing.
Personally, I don't like medical centers because you never know which doctor you're going to get. So I have always elected to keep to a doctor that has his own private practice. It is really important to find a physician you feel comfortable with. Someone you know you can come back to and not retell a new doctor. I am surprised there hasn't been anyone able to provide a doctor or dentist's name he could consider. He didn't say the doctor has to be gay, just someone who he could feel comfortable going to.
If you can't help him out with an answer to his question, then please refrain from making belittling remarks. It offends my sense of fairness and reasonableness, this forum has the ability to build new friendships and bridge divides. Let's not create or deepen divides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin