Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 06:25 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,353 times

Advertisements

Keeled over laughing! I'll be back when the Paroxysms stop!

Last edited by Spookmeister; 07-18-2006 at 06:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2006, 06:45 PM

Don't know why it duplicated the message either.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,383 times
There's no way to guarantee that you won't see things that are scary but once you see them the first time they aren't so scary later. Yes you can get an exterminator and reduce your risk but the bottom line is that Austin is in the Hill Country and you're going to see stuff. Especially if you have a full life here which means that on occasion you'll be going to the river and to lakes and camping and hiking and stuff. It's all relative. I was raised in Texas and as kids we went hunting to find the very critters you are apprehensive about. Texas is Texas. No way around it. Ain't nothing here going to hurt you if you know how to regard it. Best thing to do is get informed on what things really pose a physical threat, how to recognize them and how to react appropriately vs. things that just look scary that can't physically hurt you. You'll be fine

Old 07-19-2006, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin
My only other questions are these - how OFTEN do you see these things in a regular subdivision? Once a month? Once a year? Can an exterminator "spray" for scorpions and snakes? How effective is it? Are "newer" subdivisions worse or better? Bottom line - if we got an exterminator to come regularly, do you think we could live in a suburb like Cedar Park or Round Rock and NOT see these things - inside our house or in our yard?! Thanks for any additional info!
There's no agreed upon schedule for meeting with these critters in these parts. You may see one scurrying across the runaway and get run over by your plane at the aiport, the day you arrive, you may NEVER see one for years and only have the third hand reports from friends and neighbours, always exaggerated of course, about their encounters.
If there's a tree or fence where you live, chances are, there will be a web. It might turn out to be nothing more than a lonely garden spider looking to make friends and it won't take offense if you choose NOT to be a 'friend'. If there's an abundance of vegetation in the area, there might well be SOME of these critters going about their daily survival routine. You're NOT food to them and hold no special interest for them either. They probably view us as a nuisance much as we do them.
Exterminators will do most of the chasing away on your behalf and they're pretty thorough and effective. The common sense would be your part. No trampling around chasing cute rabbits in the brush barefoot, you're interfering with their food supply. No laying down on rocks to sun yourself, no matter how appealing the idea might seem at the time. They like to do that too and you're encroaching on their favourite spots. When walking through underbrush, heads up and on a swivel. Webs mean spider is in the area, maybe snoozing or hunting flies.
Beyond that, you really have nothing to fear. They'll spot you before you spot them and unless you smell like food to them, they'll go scurrying into their hiding places in fear of YOU.

Last edited by Spookmeister; 07-19-2006 at 02:13 PM..

Old 07-19-2006, 02:23 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
"No laying down on rocks to sun yourself"

DARN!!! There goes going to Hippie Hollow.

The other warning is leaves. Don't just go flopping in a pile of leaves no matter how tempting it might be. Underneath those leaves is a nice cool spot that is protected and hidden for one of them to make a home that is hidden from you.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:30 PM

They've been made aware that Hippie Hollow is out of bounds to them...We have that understanding...

Old 07-19-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister
They've been made aware that Hippie Hollow is out of bounds to them...We have that understanding...

WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank goodness. No fun if your out sunning yourself on a nice rock and a snake comes slithering by. That would not be a good picture.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:40 PM

I don't like any of these critters, but I absolutely HATE ants! Of all the critters big and small, NONE get to me more than ants. Doesn't matter what kind, I hate all of them, and the ones that bite, I hate more. I've been known to go on ant 'hunting' expeditions in the heat of the day, for hours at a time, in search of them. Nothing I hate more than ants!

Old 07-19-2006, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister
I don't like any of these critters, but I absolutely HATE ants! Of all the critters big and small, NONE get to me more than ants. Doesn't matter what kind, I hate all of them, and the ones that bite, I hate more. I've been known to go on ant 'hunting' expeditions in the heat of the day, for hours at a time, in search of them. Nothing I hate more than ants!
Ants and mosquito's. Both of them are the worst of anything. Received this email today that is below and thought it was greatness, especially here in Texas (came from a friend in Humble). I will say the mosquito's have not been near as bad this year as usual. If you want a good way to keep the flies away on your patio, hang ziploc bags w/ about an inch of water in them around. I have them hanging from my back door and on the underside of the patio table umbrella. It works like a charm. With all of their eyes they think there is water all the way around and will not fly "into" the water.

Summer Night Romance"

As I lay on my bed, thinking about you, I feel this strong urge
to grab you and squeeze you, because I can't forget last night.
You came to me unexpectedly during the balmy and calm night, and
what happened in my bed still leaves a tingling sensation in me.

You appeared from nowhere and shamelessly, without any
reservations, you laid on my naked body...you sensed my
indifference, so you applied your hungry mouth to me without
any guilt or humiliation, and you drove me near crazy while
you drained me.
Finally I went to sleep.

Today when I woke up, you were gone, I searched for you but to
no avail, only the twisted sheets bore witness to last night's
events. My body still bears faint marks of your enthusiastic
ravishing, making it harder to forget you.

Tonight I will remain awake waiting for you.......YOU FRIGGIN'
MOSQUITO.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:55 AM

3 posts, read 9,419 times
Austin or Atlanta? We must choose one or the other cause my husbands plant has been shut down and we have to relocate. Been doin some resurch on Atlanta...........I'll take spiders and snakes any day over a bunch of Child Sex Offenders. Can anyone tell me the cost of living if you live directley in Austin? I'm soul sick about movin to Atlanta, and I could use a few good words, and I definately need a handle on how much I would have to pay for rent ... want a nice place... 3-4 bedrooms for the kids. I haven't had much sleep so forgive me if this isn't put together to well, I need help and any advice that I can get would be appreciated more than you could know. Thank you very much.....Cindy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin