Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 04:56 PM

106 posts, read 476,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
Being a non-Texan, I have never seen a scorpion, rattlesnake, tarantula,etc.! We just don't have these things in neighborhood subdivisions on the east coast!! So it is a bit scary to imagine finding a poisonous snake in your backyard or a scorpion in a book! Austin sounds lovely - except for this! My only other questions are these - how OFTEN do you see these things in a regular subdivision? Once a month? Once a year? Can an exterminator "spray" for scorpions and snakes? How effective is it? Are "newer" subdivisions worse or better? Bottom line - if we got an exterminator to come regularly, do you think we could live in a suburb like Cedar Park or Round Rock and NOT see these things - inside our house or in our yard?! Thanks for any additional info!
I've lived in Leander, within spitting distance of the Cedar Park city limits sign, since 1999.

I've yet to see a tarantula, a snake or a scorpion. Ever.

Not in m'house, not in my yard, not in my friends homes or their yards.

Of course, I've now totally jinxed myself and will likely see all three tomorrow. LOL!

Yes, they alllllllllllllllllll live in Texas... but so does Sandra Bullock and I've yet to "see" her, either.

BIM... I'm scared senseless by ANYthing w/ less than two or more than four legs. Back in the day when folks spent good money buying encyclopedias (yes folks, I'm am slightly older than dirt... LOL!), the worst spanking I ever received was when my 7-yo self told my Dad I'd thrown out the 'S' encyclopedia because it had big ol' 8½" x 11" color glossy pictures of snakes AND spiders AND scorpions. ~~Brrrr, shiver!~~

The only time I've ever known folks to encounter these 'S' things are when they've moved into brand new construction in brand new subdivisions (or apartment/condo complexes) and thought they'd "save" a few $$$ by not personally employing an exterminator, relying instead on the builder or complex management's assurance that they will/have exterminated the place.

I hired an exterminator to treat my home/yard every month for three months, then 4 x a year for a year, then 3 x a year for a year... now I'm down to twice a year and nothing but glossy, cushiony St. Augustine grass lives in my lawn... and three cats & my kidlet in the house.

Well, except for the occasional fire ant mound that'll pop up outta no where, but this year I've only had one and that was back in February. But fire ant mounds are very obvious and easily avoided/treated.

TX Griff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 06:08 PM

21 posts, read 112,386 times
I too have a severe fear of snakes, cockroaches, etc... I will probably have a panic attack and need to be sent to the ER.

We are moving to Austin in just 4 weeks. We are going to rent first and then buy something in about 3-6 months once we get the lay of the land.

Are incidents of the insects and reptiles mentioned in this thread more popular in rented housing complexes/condos versus detached homes? If that is the case, I rather rent a home for the short time.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:19 PM

106 posts, read 476,157 times
It's my experience the incidents of inappropriate critters (inappropriate in the HOME, mind you) has to do how old the housing unit is and how close it is to green space... not what kind of space (home v. apt. v. condo) it is.

Newer housing units or those close to green space will likely have more critters than older or more inner-city units.

I'd speak to your prospective immediate neighbors and find out what THEIR experience is... does the complex/subdivision have critters, if so, who takes care of them, what's the complex's policy on hiring your own extermination service, etc.

You can also check out 'Apartment Ratings' for info on specific apartment/condo/townhouse rental communities... Austin Apartments for Rent with Ratings & Reviews by Austin Renters at ApartmentRatings.com

TX Griff

Old 07-26-2007, 11:54 PM

98 posts, read 486,016 times
Most critters of this sort you will only find on the outskirts of town now. You may run into a stray cottonmouth in one of the creeks downtown but its been decades sense I've seen a tarantula or scorpion here. The burbs are still surrounded by scrub land so they do have issues with diamondbacks. Central Austin as with all of central Texas does have bugs. We don't really have seasons like the north. Its either wet or dry. Wet means lots of bugs including palmeto bugs(big flying tree roaches) which really freak people out and cricket outbreaks.

No, living in the outlying burbs will ensure that you will see these things. Poisonous snakes and tarantulas specificaly are fairly rare but you will get lots of critters. You will have more problems with mammals than insects. Austin and the surrounding area have lots of wildlife including: skunks, possums, raccoons(not as big as the ones in the North but twice as nasty), armadillos, mice, deer, nutria, a growing coyote population, feral dogs and cats, a few fox, bats, and our wonderful mexican brown squirrels(the only squirrel to regularly suppliment its diet with meat). Your biggest worry will be exposure to a rabbid animal but we are pretty on top of the issue.

Insects you can spray for. Snakes will stay away if there isn't anything to eat. Tarantulas are more or less harmless. Scorpions come with the territory.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:58 AM

701 posts, read 2,482,574 times
Ok, this may be a crazy question, but are there rules about collecting bugs around here?

My kids aren't too keen on them and I figure that getting a net to catch a few for observation would be a good way to get them desensitized. Yes, I will avoid the stinging kind and yes I will let common sense prevail.

I just wanted to make sure that there aren't any things like endangered butterflies or such that are off limits.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:11 PM

98 posts, read 486,016 times
Default bug collections

The only things that collectors will be frowned upon for are the bees and the monarchs. We have a dire need for honey bees right now for some reason and monarchs are just so loved that people tend to instively defend them. Most of us are pretty big fans of the spiders as well because they kill mosquitoes but pretty much all insects are up or grabs...we have plenty more trust me. I can't think of any endangered bugs that live around here.

Touch a horned toad and I hunt you down though.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:47 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
As far as I know, there aren't any. Most of the time, I just walk my daughter around the yard and point things out to her, or they like those little bug cages. She'll put pill bugs in it. My neighbor loves insects and sometimes for the benefit of her sons, she'll catch something in a jar or their bug cage for a little while so they can look at it up close, and she'll tell them some facts about it, like diet, etc....Then she lets them back out. As for frogs and toads, my daughter loves them. She tries to pet them, and thinks it's the funniest thing when they hop off.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:44 AM

21 posts, read 112,386 times
Thanks so much for the info!

Old 06-19-2010, 02:36 PM

17 posts, read 123,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
Do these creatures Exist? Yes, just like they do everywhere else.
The thing is, they're not everywhere else. We don't have poisonous snakes, black widows, or scorpions here in Minnesota. I've lived here for 26 years - almost all of which were in the Twin Cities - and never seen anything that could give me more than a small welt. I assume it's the same in NYC. So it's all new to us.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:50 PM

16 posts, read 29,394 times
We live between Westlake and Bee Cave... the Cuernavaca area... and yes, I saw my first rattlesnake ever, huge roaches, a scorpion and even 2 tarantulas. One of them actually decided to move into my car yesterday.
All these critters scare me to death... and I was out of my car in light speed yesterday,... I grew up in Germany and there are just no such creatures.
But,... I wouldn't move away (maybe selling my car though ;-) )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin