U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-21-2009, 11:24 PM

189 posts, read 295,705 times

Advertisements

I brought two lamps back with me that I'm fond of and need to have them modified for use in the States. The sockets are different and are called Bayonet caps - real buggers to change (at least at first) when your accustomed to the American screw in type and the power point (plug) needs changed for the US. I don't know if they need rewired, UK power & frequency are different (240V and 50Hz; the 50Hz isn't a real issue for a lamp, I know, just passing information) - the current wiring should handle the US 110V and 60Hz, so perhaps all I need to do is have someone change the socket and plug

I found 2 places:
The Fixture Shop on Burnet Road in Allendale
The Lamp Shoppe on Research Blvd

Does anyone have any experience with either place or suggestions for other shops or electricians?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 11:36 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,637,324 times
Are you talking about the 'bayonet cap' accepting only bayonet style lamps(bulbs)? If so, I would rewire the whole lamp(just my opinion). Rewire kits are reasonable in price and would give you a fixed plug rather than an add-on as well as allowing you to choose your length of cord. Regular medium-base or candelabra sized lamps(bulbs) are going to be easier to find and can easily be found in compact fluorescent styles as well. Unless the lamp is just crazy in design, I've always enjoyed rewiring the various lamps my DW has found over the years. Good luck!

Having said that, DW did bring home a hand-made wrought iron overhead fixture with 3 lamps that looks to be the first one ever made! I'm glad she decided it was too small to use in our foyer! I certainly would have sought professional help for that one!

Old 07-22-2009, 12:57 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,967,150 times
You might want to take it to Tipler's on W. 5th St. and ask their opinion. There's also a lamp shop on the south side of 35th Street between Jefferson and Mopac that I've used for replating and rewiring a 1950's dining room fixture, but the name escapes me. First, I'd stop by Tipler's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin