Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 08:41 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,234 times

Advertisements

I agree with Austin97 that all the areas off the 1431 might be a great choice for you - it has similar terrain to SW austin but would be a shorter commute for you!

Good luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 07:45 AM

110 posts, read 590,748 times
I don't see what your price range is, but here in Crystal Falls (just north of the Cedar Park line in Leander) there are many new houses for sale-- either specs or you can have one built from the ground up. Prices are probably starting at $250K and go up to over a mil, if you want to

We came here from Vancouver, WA, and while our homes prices aren't quite as crazy-high as Seattle, the house we own here in CF would have cost close to $600K in Vancouver. Taxes are high though-- we expect to pay between $6000 and $7000 here. Personally, I'm ok with that since they have great schools here and it's cheaper than private school!

From CF, it takes me about 15-ish minutes (not durng rush hour) to get to I-35 going down 1431. And, after a few lights, you're actually driving, not sitting in traffic

Welcome to Texas--- the trees aren't as big here as WA but it isn't nearly as wet

Old 04-28-2007, 06:21 PM

7 posts, read 25,185 times
I lived in the general vicinity of Circle C and worked at I-35 and Koenig Lane (near the Highland Mall). It used to take me 35 minutes in the morning and 45 minutes to an hour to get home. On Fridays it wasn't uncommon to take an hour and 15 minutes to get home. I'd say you'd need to add another 15-30 minutes to get to Dell in rush hours. So definately, consider Round Rock or Northwest Austin. Leander and Cedar Park have been terrible traffic back ups, but at least it's much closer to Dell. Although, they've just put in a toll roll, 45 that will make a huge difference.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:49 PM

77 posts, read 382,582 times
Austin via NOLA, what is the Mueller swindle?

Old 01-11-2008, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,424 times
Default long commute

I really think you'd really dislike the commute from South Austin to Round Rock. We just moved to Circle C from Round rock because we didn't like the commute from round rock to south austin. It's grueling. BTW: Round Rock is a very nice place to live. It has the Express games, Rockin' river pool (very nice), Micki Krebsbach pool, a great library, and lots of good places to eat. Try La Margarita on I-35 - the only good Mexican food place in the Austin area. Austin doesn't have good pools like Round Rock does. I think you'd be much happier in Round Rock. Although we absolutely love Circle C, we miss Round Rock a lot.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:04 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Mueller swindle? I've never heard about that.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:52 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kphin View Post
We are relocating from Washington state to the Austin area and I'll be working at the Dell campus in RR. I'm really torn on where to live and we'll be doing our house hunting trip this week. During my last visit, I really liked the Lake Forest & Forest Creek communities--Beautiful communtities, development is nearly complete, schools seem to be good, and its only a few miles from work. I've never had a commute this short!

BUT... I liked the West, South & South West areas much more due to the rolling hills and trees (Circle C and a new community called Meridian were really nice). It was absolutely beautiful in that area. I'm trying to determine if it would be worth the commute. Does anyone do this commute? I'd like to know how you go and how long it takes.

Since I'm coming from the Seattle area, it takes me 45 min-1 hr. to go about 15 miles--so I am used to bad traffic. From my short experience in Austin, the traffic was heavy, but not on the scale of Seattle's.

You would be completely crazy to do that commute. You should move here so you can decrease your commute. If you look west of round rock, leander etc it is pretty nice. There are some "communities in a box" out that way too.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Don't try to do any commuting through the city..the traffic will drive you crazy.

If you work north of the city then try to live north of the city and vice versa.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:14 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
Crystal Falls to Dell ( on the freeway and 1431)in the mornings took about 27 mins leaving at 630a to get there by about 7 on a weekday. With the tollroad I could do it in about 15..183a to 45 and it drops you off right there.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:18 PM

155 posts, read 502,544 times
Steiner Ranch is also pretty easy to get to the Dell RR campus. I do it every day and the toll road makes it fairly quick. If you leave early, say before 7:00you can make it in just under 30 minutes. A more standard time would be about 35 minutes or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin