Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:06 PM

170 posts, read 270,844 times

Advertisements

Living in Reno we have Directv and havent had cable tv for a couple of years. Will be living in Austin at the end of August. Which provider do you have? I think Time Warner would be our cable provider. Pros and cons would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 10:54 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,566,216 times
Darn I was looking forward to the answers.

If you are still about, what did you decide?

I've heard pretty bad things about TW.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:42 PM

729 posts, read 2,067,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Darn I was looking forward to the answers.

If you are still about, what did you decide?

I've heard pretty bad things about TW.
I have had Dish and Direct TV. They are both good but when it rains hard then they are issues. Both claim to have more HD channels but I dont know for a fact. I got HDTV after I signed up with Direct TV. They require a change of package, new equipment plus dish....a cost to me between $200 to $300.

When you sign up with a Satellite you lock into a two year ordeal. You have less than 24 hours to backout of your contract after you sign on the dotted line.

I boycotted TW years ago....waiting for UVerse to come to my neighborhood.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:40 PM

117 posts, read 347,410 times
If you want the NFL (every game weekly on NFL Sunday Ticket), get DirectTV. It's never going to be on cable, Rupert keeps buying the rights to it.

Otherwise, it's a tossup, in my view.

The only downside to DirectTV is their on-demand is terrible, you have to hook the box up to the Internet, very little of it is HD, the search function (for the on demand) stinks. But, since I am a big NFL fan, I've had DirectTV since 1993.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:48 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
I hate Time Warner. We still have them for internet service because my husband's company pays for it. However, the service sucks. And customer service is a nightmare, to say the least.

We have had Dish Network for the past 7 years or so, and I love it. It hardly ever goes out, and when it does, it's only for about 5 minutes. That's a lot less than TW. Our internet and email goes down all the time.

And Dish Network has free installation and they upgraded us to HD for free. They even dropped 2 additional lines in our new house when we moved (for free). Time Warner doesn't do anything for free. THe cost for the monthly service is about the same as Time Warner's similar package.

Oh, and we don't lose NBC or other networks when Time Warner decided to get into pissing contests with them.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:43 PM

3,077 posts, read 3,262,375 times
Like many here, I have permanently boycotted Time Warner (long story) so they are completely out for both tv and internet. After TW, I switched to DirecTV and was pretty happy with the service. This was back when they were using the Tivo software for their DVR's. I then switched to Dish Network, at the time they had more HD channels than DirecTV. I didn't really notice a difference in picture quality (HD anyway) and they seem roughly comparable. The Dish Network DVR sucks, but I can live with it. I hear lots of complaints about the current DirecTV DVR's as well. We actually don't watch tv all that often (maybe 4 hours/week peak, sometimes 0), and I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've had the signal go out because of a storm, so for us, that is not an issue. I never use the on demand channels or PPV so I can't speak to their quality.

I'm currently looking into uVerse. I had one failed installation attempt (the signal ended up being too weak to get it) but I am primarily interested in the faster internet access. When uverse first came out I saw some demos and was utterly underwhelmed by the HD picture quality (vs DirecTV/Dish). I hear it's better now so I may be willing to take the plunge.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:56 PM

587 posts, read 1,420,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
After TW, I switched to DirecTV and was pretty happy with the service. This was back when they were using the Tivo software for their DVR's. I then switched to Dish Network, at the time they had more HD channels than DirecTV. I didn't really notice a difference in picture quality (HD anyway) and they seem roughly comparable. The Dish Network DVR sucks, but I can live with it. I hear lots of complaints about the current DirecTV DVR's as well.
We lamented the loss of Tivo when they switched, but after briefly switching to cable when we moved up here (Comcast) we QUICKLY went back to DirecTv because the DVR was soooooo awful. DirectTv's is actually pretty good, though I'm sure a brand new Tivo box would probably be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
I never use the on demand channels or PPV so I can't speak to their quality.
We don't use these for DirecTv either, so I can't say anything about them either.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:24 PM

428 posts, read 1,064,956 times
DirecTv is supposed to working with TiVo once more, from what our last installer told us, and should be rolling out new TiVo HD boxes this year.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:38 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,281 times
i have DISH and EVERYTIME there is a big storm, my reception is gone - and longer than 5 minutes.

I'm switching to U-Verse soon anyway...since bundling my cell, TV and internet will save me about $50/mo.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:59 PM

7 posts, read 12,173 times
What is UVerse and I live in Raleigh was thinking moving to Austin as well and is it nice and what the prices like for renting apartment without roaches? What about jobs and I know about Whole foods and good place to shop. Did you receive Trader Joes as well. I have TW cable and they suck as well. With my experience ATT fast high internet with Magic Jack and now you saved a bundle right away only cost 40.00 for the first year and 19.99 after that with Magic Jack and internet only 19.99. Cell phone look for the best deal we have consumer celluar and one month the bill might be up and you can arranged your minutes no matter how you want them. Another way of keeping the bill down on cell. Now the cable and I am ready to go off!!!! TW drivers me crazy and had so many ups and downs with them and the billing. TW will not deal with TiVo and that is taking away profits from TW like they are going to be poor. I been asking TW for Al Carte menu because a lot of those channels I do not watch or care about. How does direct tv and tivo work? I thought once you got tivo and just need a sim card and pick the channels and that it. Please help me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin