Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 10:31 AM

29 posts, read 78,323 times

Advertisements

So - having never been to Austin - from what I've heard it's a desirable place to live. I am 25 years old with a 5 year old son - and we would be moving from WI to escape the horrible weather. After hearing some surprising negative comments about my desire to move to Cali - I was informed by more than one person (living in Cali) that Austin should be a place I should consider.

I am interested in living near a large, culturally diverse city with plenty to do for a young child. But I am interested in living in a smaller - close-knit type community that is family-friendly with enough young people/families around along with a great school system.

I loved the idea of California because of the weather and the fact that you have the beach right there - so having a familiar scene (minus the ocean) is important to me as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 11:05 AM

575 posts, read 2,495,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnaya View Post
So - having never been to Austin - from what I've heard it's a desirable place to live. I am 25 years old with a 5 year old son - and we would be moving from WI to escape the horrible weather. After hearing some surprising negative comments about my desire to move to Cali - I was informed by more than one person (living in Cali) that Austin should be a place I should consider.

I am interested in living near a large, culturally diverse city with plenty to do for a young child. But I am interested in living in a smaller - close-knit type community that is family-friendly with enough young people/families around along with a great school system.

I loved the idea of California because of the weather and the fact that you have the beach right there - so having a familiar scene (minus the ocean) is important to me as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
I guess I have to try hard to keep this on topic for Austin, but I grew up in CA, in Huntington Beach, and if I try and think about what is was like I can say it was a great area and pretty cool to go to the beach everyday as a kid. That was BACK THEN however, and the last time I visited HB as an adult, I said, no way, not never. It had changed a lot.

Since it would be your first time there, everything would be new to you. So I will go straight to my opinions on why So. Cal. is not right for us, and maybe this will strike some chords in your mind.
1. It is EXPENSIVE unless you are making about $150K per year.
2. If you do make $150K per year, you will probably be at the highest state inc. tax bracket. along with Fed, leaving your with about $120-125K take home, if you have good deductions. $10K/mo. sounds like a lot, but it is not in So. Cal, it is average.
3. The nicer areas start out at around $750K for a smaller house.
4. Schools are hit or miss, but the better schools are in the more expensive areas, starting at about $900K housing, but then the kids are snotty and feel entitled because their parents are so wealthy. "The OC" show is not far off, because I lived that in High School
5. Crowded, crowded, crowded.
6. Areas with pretty high crimes stats, and property crimes in almost all areas. I had one car stolen, two stereos, 4 rims and tires, bicycles, etc. This can happen everywhere, but it is a lucrative career in CA.
7. People honestly aren't that friendly, and with most couples having both working jobs to make ends meet, the kids are pretty uncivilized. I do understand you are probably doing a great job with your 5 yr. old, but you have no choice. I think too many couples wait for the other one to do something because they are both so tired.
8. Gangs, I hated the gangs, and they are in many areas, rich and poor. Between the skinheads, and the hispanic gangs, African American gangs, Asian gangs, all vying for turf, it is annoying, and the graffiti is a real ugly eyesore.
9. Rents are very high, $2200 a month for a 2 bedroom is not uncommon in Orange County. Santa Ana would be much less, but I wouldn't want to raise my kids there.

But you are right, the weather is great...

To tie it back to Austin, most of the things I listed above are manifested in one way or another in Austin, but not at the level of CA. It is just nicer here, and if we move from Texas, it won't be back to CA, unless it is for at least $200K-$225K combined income, and I can get my kids into private school.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:25 AM

Would you recommend a certain area of Austin over another? Taking into consideration the things I'm looking for in a neighborhood along with a good school system?

Old 04-24-2007, 11:42 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Do you have a price range? There are nice areas in various income levels, but you usually have to trade off something for a lower price house.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:53 AM

At this point - I would be looking for a 2 br to rent as opposed to buying. I did a quick search on craigslist and the cost of renting/living in Austin seems to be very similar to that of where I live now (in Milwaukee). So I guess I'd be looking for a 2 br for around the cost of $1,000 per month.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:05 PM

I am not as familiar with the rental market, but I suspect that $1,000 for a 2 br will get you into a lot of the normal suburban neighborhoods. My immediate thought would be some areas in Round Rock, Georgetown, Leander, or Cedar Park. They really aren't Austin, but they are in the Austin area and you can get good schools and a rental house for a reasonable price. You might find a house for that price in Austin itself, but the schools tend not to be as good (at least not across the board, there are probably exceptions).

Old 04-24-2007, 02:14 PM

Are they close enough to Austin?

Old 04-24-2007, 02:22 PM

Depends on what close enough is....RR is the closest big suburb, along with Pflugerville, and most of those two cities commute in to Austin on a daily basis. For all intents and purposes, the cities are merged. Cedar Park is a little further out from central Austin, but lots of daily commuters and a light rail system will go through here (connecting Leander to downtown). Leander is further out and the commute is starting to get a little longer, but driving in for some downtown time on the weekend is really not an issue. G'town is about as far as Leander, but a little more autonomous.

You could also look at the south side of town around Buda, or the SW side of town around Dripping springs.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:28 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,650,964 times
We just rented a house in Leander 3/2 for $1000 per month and the LISD is suppose to be pretty good I hear.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:38 PM

Thanks! Do you know of a recommended online job site? I've looked at a few sites although there do not seem to be many openings in my field - maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin