Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 11:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,226 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently renting in 78704 and are looking to buy a 1400+ square foot house, preferably with a garage, as centrally located as possible. Multiple possibilities have come up in 78745 and we are currently considering making an offer on one but are hung up on the neighborhood.

The house we are looking at is in the area North of Stassney, South of Jones, West of Manchaca, and East of Westgate. It seems to be a fairly mixed area in terms of how well the houses have been kept up or updated. The proximity to strip malls on Stassney/Manchaca is not great, but I wonder how much that might change in years to come (in terms of what will occupy those strip malls). It seems convenient to downtown, Zilker, and the stuff we like in 78704.

Just curious if anyone has any input in that area in particular or perspective on whether or not 78745 is a good area to buy in for future resale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 11:40 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Just curious if anyone has any input in that area in particular or perspective on whether or not 78745 is a good area to buy in for future resale.
That's a great little pocket in there. Watch for flood plain homes if you're near the creek though. But the location is prime and, in my opinion, a much better value for your dollar than 78704.

Yes, in general 78745 is an excellent part of Austin in which to buy.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 08-07-2009, 03:56 AM

844 posts, read 2,019,477 times
Here's a thread about the same area: http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...-westgate.html

Old 08-07-2009, 06:19 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
78745 is one of those areas that I've been keeping an eye on, as it's close in and in the process of being discovered (has been for a bit), but the homes are still reasonably priced. They're not making any more land that close in, and I'd consider that area to be a good investment.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:10 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
I've been repping Battle Bend Springs (my 'hood - further east than where you're looking but same type of neighborhood/houses) for years here.
More houses seem to be going on the market there in the last year and prices are still good if not better.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:20 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
Had a friend who lived off of Jones Rd. Everything was fine except for the fact that there is some kind of methadone/drug treatment clinic in the area and occasionally there would be lost folk wandering about. Don't let that deter you and I would advise checking out COA's Crime Viewer. Put in a 500' or 1000' search radius around an address and you'll get a full report of crimes for that area:

City of Austin - GIS Disclaimer

Old 08-07-2009, 09:41 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I've been repping Battle Bend Springs (my 'hood - further east than where you're looking but same type of neighborhood/houses) for years here.
More houses seem to be going on the market there in the last year and prices are still good if not better.
I just repped you fro repping Battle Bend Springs. That area is going to boom next cycle as well. I think it's time will come a little after Westgate, but it will come. It's right off S. Congress, but across Ben White. It's still about 5 miles to downtown, which is bike distance. The 35/290 intersection there is pretty vacant, but prime for a big development being a large tract of land that close to downtown. The best part of Battle Bend Springs is the 3 creeks that by it within a 1/2 mile radius, I can't think of any other place in Austin where that happens. It's also hillier than average for Austin. The hilly areas will be more exclusive as the city densifies, regardless if it's not in a "desirable neighborhood" or not. It's already gotten expensive, but I think the avg. house price will double over the next 5 years. S. Congress and all those people drawn to it will expand across Ben White (290) It's the natural course that has happened in other entertainment strips across the country.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:42 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Anything close in to Austin will see appreciation. It's a little rough right now, but I think it's a solid investment.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:12 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
I would still be careful of a few areas like Emerald Forest between Stassney and W. Cannon. Places near the railroad tracks, duplexes and older apartment complexes (e.g. the one at W. Cannon & S. First which had a murder last week) should still be given extra thought in '45. Of course there is plenty of crime in the much more expensive '04 so it is quite relative.

Funny that '45 was derided as Bubba-land for years and now is seen as somewhat desirable. It's quite something how people's perceptions and corresponding real estate values can change in just 5 or 10 years.

It is also quite interesting how '45 is thought relative to downtown. I know people up near Anderson Lane right by Sun Harvest market that think W. Cannon is far out when they are in fact over a mile farther from 6th and Congress than I am.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:17 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Funny that '45 was derided as Bubba-land for years and now is seen as somewhat desirable. It's quite something how people's perceptions and corresponding real estate values can change in just 5 or 10 years.
It's because real estate values radiate out essentially in concentric rings from the Austin core, and the circles grow as affordability declines. I remember when 78704 east of Lamar was only desirable north of Oltorf. Then it got pricey and people started drifting south of Oltorf. Then eventually people started hopping Ben White into 78745, which is now divided into MLS areas 10N (north) and 10S.

Even where I live, just past the Y in Oak Hill, was considered "out in the country" back in 1999 when we first bought a house on 4 acres. Now when we list a house out here, the comments will boast "close in, only 12 minutes to downtown". That would have seemed a weird comment for that location in the 1990s and instead would have said "escape to country living". Now you have to go to Dripping Springs for "country living" because Oak Hill is "close in".

Ah, this ever changing world in which we live in.

steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin