Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:48 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,182,148 times

Advertisements

I have to agree. If you're going to have brisket, order it "with flavor" (BBQ joint code for "a bit off the nice fatty end, please".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 09:14 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,024,574 times
My husband won't touch any brisket that's not lean. I don't get it either. I don't hate the Salt Lick's brisket (it's ok) but I LOVE SL's ribs, sausage, and sides way better than the same at Rudy's.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:41 PM

7 posts, read 10,961 times
I consider myself lucky to live off of 1826 not far from Driftwood. But I don't over do it, I eat at the Salt Lick maybe once a month. I think I'm going to go eat at Iron Works soon. It's been a while. My overall favorite is Coopers.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:24 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,939,171 times
I suggest you make the 35 minute drive out to Lockhart or Luling and go to Kreuz, Smitty's, Black's, or Chisholm Trail in Lockhart or City Market in Luling. Those places have the best barbecue in the world, no exageration either.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:37 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,984,918 times
Seriously, everyone needs to hit Franklin BBQ. It blows everything out of the water, especially the Lockhart places that seem to be resting on their laurels lately. If you remember John Mueller BBQ on Manor, Franklin bought his pit and used to work there. His meat is perfect.

It's only open for lunch and you better get in line at 10:30 so you can minimize your wait when they open at 11. You can expect to spend 30-60 minutes in line on pavement burning up waiting to order. The 30 minute wait is if you get there at 10:30. They're usually out of meat by 1 or 2.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:24 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,939,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Seriously, everyone needs to hit Franklin BBQ. It blows everything out of the water, especially the Lockhart places that seem to be resting on their laurels lately. If you remember John Mueller BBQ on Manor, Franklin bought his pit and used to work there. His meat is perfect.

It's only open for lunch and you better get in line at 10:30 so you can minimize your wait when they open at 11. You can expect to spend 30-60 minutes in line on pavement burning up waiting to order. The 30 minute wait is if you get there at 10:30. They're usually out of meat by 1 or 2.
I have hard very good things about Franklin's but i've never been. I need to go one day. I do hope he finally goes ahead and just gets himself a place already instead of the trailer he currently uses.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:52 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,984,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I have hard very good things about Franklin's but i've never been. I need to go one day. I do hope he finally goes ahead and just gets himself a place already instead of the trailer he currently uses.
I talked to him last time I was there and he said he is actively looking for a suitable building.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:05 AM

99 posts, read 179,872 times
DO NOT to go to Rudy's or Bill Miller. Rudy's is a rip off and Bill Miller is just horrible.
I really like Ruby's, but it is pricey. The sides are really good there as well.
For a great meal at great price go to Smokey Mo's.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:58 PM

3,038 posts, read 3,215,972 times
Rudy's - love the extra moist brisket (put me into that camp that could live the rest of my life without eating "lean" brisket and be perfectly happy) and they have by far the best cream corn.
Poke-E-Joes - "moist" brisket that's not too bad and I like their sausage the best (I know I know, I just do, what can I say). Everything else is so-so.
Salt Lick - it's ok, I've only been maybe a half a dozen times since I've lived in Austin and I never regret going there, but nor do I feel a need to go back.
County Line - again, it's ok, they have a good pulled pork sandwich and their wheat bread is yummy fantastic. Nice locales too.
Smokey Mo's - been there a couple of times, not blown away either time.

I know this is total and complete blasphemy, but the best BBQ pork ribs I've had was from this hole in the wall place in NE San Jose. It was super duper out of the way and would add significantly to my commute home (as in tripling it), but boy was it worth it. Austin area BBQ seems to focus on brisket and I've yet to have pork ribs here that have really done anything for me yet.

Where is this Franklin's place at?

Old 07-14-2010, 06:01 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,789,612 times
You know, I typically have put down Rudy's in the past (and I've had it tons of time -- people seem to always want to cater/bring to work events)... but this past week, I had some of the best brisket I've ever had anywhere -- and it was from Rudy's. It was the extra moist, and they threw in a few "burnt ends". Really changed my perception of Rudy's. Since the time you go to a BBQ joint seems to matter, I should point out that I went during the tail end of the lunch rush on a Thursday (around 1pm). This was the location on South 360 near Walsh Tarleton.

I'm also a big fan of Iron Works downtown.

I need to try out Franklin's. I understand the location is on the east side of I-35 at around 34th street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin