Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 08:38 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,106,908 times

Advertisements

So my daughters and their friends had a lemonade stand to raise money for MS research for only 50 cents. They setup at the front of the main drag into our development and they smiled and waved for an hour and a half this afternoon while car aft er car just sailed on by. They managed to sell about 8 glasses.

I just don't understand, when I see kids with a lemonade stand I usually stop and get something to make them happy. Is it just me?

We did end up saving the day by donating the lemonade and cookies to the fire station down the street. They gobbled them up and gave the kids a tour of the fire station and trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 08:42 PM

477 posts, read 1,576,746 times
That is crazy. I usually stop and give them $5. I always appreciate the young entrepreneur. Maybe it's the economy? Or the heat - maybe they didn't want to get out of their air conditioned car.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:44 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,142,036 times
If I didn't stop, it would be for one of two reasons:

1. Going somewhere and no good place or time to stop
or
2. Because I don't eat or drink in my car(s).

I do love it when kids make a go of working for money. That is so awesome.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:47 PM

324 posts, read 1,308,393 times
OMG--drinking unregulated lemonade? it might have too much sugar in it.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:49 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,050,519 times
I bet if the stand was in a place where your buyers were walking their results would have been 5 X better.

Asking people in cars to stop is a doomed strategy. Set up by the neighborhood pool, or HEB and it would rock.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:51 PM

194 posts, read 438,468 times
There are just too many weirdos in Austin. I'm sure your kids are fine, but I have developed this mentality since I moved here of never accepting anything from anyone on the street. When I see someone peddling something by the street, I don't even bother to figure out what it is. I just waive them by.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:52 PM

194 posts, read 438,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
i bet if the stand was in a place where your buyers were walking their results would have been 5 x better.

Asking people in cars to stop is a doomed strategy. Set up by the neighborhood pool, or heb and it would rock.
+1

Old 08-08-2009, 09:20 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,044,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I bet if the stand was in a place where your buyers were walking their results would have been 5 X better.

Asking people in cars to stop is a doomed strategy. Set up by the neighborhood pool, or HEB and it would rock.
Exactly!

I know a kid in central Austin who set up a stand in his yard right when the elementary school let out (yes, a four-year old ran the stand), it was a central neighborhood where most kids walked to school, he was young and made the others feel "big" plus he had cold drinks!

He ran it daily for at least half a year! (I think he used the profits for pokemon cards)

ca

Old 08-08-2009, 09:36 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,781,982 times
That's discouraging. Sorry to hear they got such a poor response. We always stop. My conscience won't let me pass one by.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:55 PM

205 posts, read 615,722 times
We are the same way, whenever we see kids selling their homemade lemonade, we stop to buy from them. I think Hoffdano is right, perhaps next time they need to pick a high pedestrian area like outside a community facility. However, sounds like you did save the day with the donation to the local firefighters. I am surprised that people didn't stop who were driving past, are they that busy in the weekend that they can't support a kid initiative? Also, it would have helped if they had spread the word amongst their friends and had kids coming up on bicycles and drinking the lemonade. It is amazing how a crowd will gather when they see other people in line....such a line mentality exists (LOL). It's like saying "hey, there's something worth stopping for, others are buying here".I hope your kids had some photos taken with the firefighters, would make a great talking point when they go back to school. May inspire other kids to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin