Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:27 PM

629 posts, read 1,652,803 times

Advertisements

I've passed them soooooo many times and every time I drive myself crazy trying to determine their purpose.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can kind of see them attached to the retaining walls in this aerial view: Your web browser and the Maps site are incompatible

So anyone have any ideas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 11:04 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
They are a work of art called "moments" by Carl Trominski. Here is some info about it: City of Austin.

also Blue Panels on Lamar Underpass | Austin Metblogs. The concept for the art sounds much more exciting than the actual result.

There is also a mural painted in the center support of that bridge. It is a memorial by a mother to her son -- mary boyd

It was accidentally painted over by city workers (it had achieved "do not touch" status) in 2001, but she came back and painted it again. I think it is now an "art in public places" protected piece now, but I can't find it on the city AIPP list.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:54 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
The concept for the art sounds much more exciting than the actual result.
So true. I never did quite see what the artist was attempting to convey.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
They are a work of art called "moments" by Carl Trominski. Here is some info about it: City of Austin.

also Blue Panels on Lamar Underpass | Austin Metblogs. The concept for the art sounds much more exciting than the actual result.

There is also a mural painted in the center support of that bridge. It is a memorial by a mother to her son -- mary boyd

It was accidentally painted over by city workers (it had achieved "do not touch" status) in 2001, but she came back and painted it again. I think it is now an "art in public places" protected piece now, but I can't find it on the city AIPP list.
I was afraid of that. So much for finding a "purpose" for the blue panels.

The artist's original concept (from the blog you linked to) sounds much more interesting, but as usual money posed a problem:

Quote:
This was not the artist’s original concept. The Railroad Commission was supposed to provide electricity for blue lighting under the bridge and the walls were to be painted blue and green but time and money ran out. The concept for the project was to seem like you were going under water when you drove under the bridge. The artist was not pleased with the results...

Old 08-11-2009, 07:36 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,599 times
I feel bad for the artist -- it would never occur to me in a million years that you felt like you were under water. It looks like some kind of traffic signage!?!

Old 02-14-2010, 07:09 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,264 times
What do y'all think about maybe revamping the project? Would the oceanic art be worth finishing it?

Old 02-14-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
What do y'all think about maybe revamping the project? Would the oceanic art be worth finishing it?
It'd be great to revamp that underpass, since that area is developing quite nicely. Although, I'm not sure if the whole neon blue signs is the way to go.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:39 AM

680 posts, read 1,383,361 times
I think the best way to revamp that project is to get rid of it. I'm all for public art, such as the giant guitars that were placed around town, but those blue signs are ridiculous. Might as well throw your litter out of your car and call it "art."

This reminds me of a "scupture" that was prominently displayed in Santa Barbara when I was growing up there in the 1970s. It was just two giant ugly metal boxes, and it was titled "The Elevens Are Up." Yeah, it looked like a huge 11... And it also looked like someone had dumped their rusted metal trash there in the shape of an 11. The city paid to have it shown there. Amazing.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:11 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
So, the city spent $45,000 on this "art" and it's not complete because it ran out of money? Now I don't know what the going rate for blue signs is, but that seems a little steep to me.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:01 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,264 times
I know, right? Like for years I would wonder what the hell those blue things were, and now I know!
I personally think it would be interesting at least to finish what was started, although in a more effective manner than tacky blue pieces of metal stacked on the sides of the underpass. Although more than $45,000 would be not the best use of money...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: