Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 09:05 AM

17 posts, read 27,070 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I have seen many threads about people looking to relocate to Austin. My question is similar, but I couldn't find the exact post I wanted.
I am 30 (so is my wife) and I have been offered employment in Austin. I recently finished my MBA here in Florida (Fort Lauderdale) where I currently reside. We are considering the offer and subsequent move to Austin, but I have not gotten good information about where in the area to live. We do not have childern yet, but we want to so definitely we need to live somewhere which is kid friendly with a good school district. Is commuting the nightmare it is in South Florida? I am not too concerned about commuting, but I believe the office is downtown.
Is there any advice about whether I should rent before I buy to scope out the area etc? Also, where should I concentrate my search for housing?

Anyway, thanks for the help. Especially if anyone here is from, or has ties to Florida, what are the major differences?

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 10:03 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
Check out Post #12 comparing Austin and Orlando. http://www.city-data.com/forum/orlan...l#post10182323

If you don't have kids yet, then you will have plenty of time after having them to decide what neighborhood and schools you want to raise them in after living here for awhile. So it would be desirable to rent for awhile before buying in my opinion.

In regard to commuting, it is desirable to avoid having to cross the CBD in order to get to work. There are few convenient East West connections near the central business district if your destination lies across it.

With the limited information you provided, for nice apartments in a good part of town with great schools and good access to downtown and the hill country I suggest you take a look at this post http://www.city-data.com/forum/8552646-post21.html

Old 08-10-2009, 04:37 PM

8 posts, read 34,324 times
My husband and I are about the same age as you and your wife, and are also currently kid-free. We moved here last year and live in Northwest Austin-near 620/183/Anderson Mill. We find it to be near everything we need, but also quiet and family oriented.
My husband commutes to 45th/Mopac daily and it isn't too harsh, about 35 minutes (depending). I work nearby at a public school. All the elem. schools in this area are pretty good. Canyon Creek, Anderson Mill, Purple Sage and Spicewood in RRISD and Cypress Creek in LISD. Some of these are exemplary, other recognized-all good.
It is a bit quiet out here, but we make it downtown often for nonchain food and socializing. There are many places here we hang out in as well, for having a beer, playing darts etc. It is suburbia, but that is what we like.

There are many affordable homes in the area from $90 a square foot on up. Some enighborhoods are gonna be more expensive: Steiner, Balcones, Avery etc., but you can find pretty affordable options in each of those areas.

Anyway, we like it! We bought right away, it was such a good time to do so. We love our neighborhood, but we got pretty lucky. If you are nervous, or have very specific expectations, renting may be a good idea.

Good luck!

Old 08-10-2009, 04:50 PM

One thing I forgot to mention in that post on Austin versus Orlando is that the crime rate in Austin is extremely low in violent crime, It is also low in property crimes except for theft where it is unusally high, probably because people feel so safe here they don't lock their cars and leave stuff laying around.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
With the limited information you provided, for nice apartments in a good part of town with great schools and good access to downtown and the hill country I suggest you take a look at this post http://www.city-data.com/forum/8552646-post21.html
The 78749 zip code area that is addressed above is also a very good, reasonably priced neighborhood to buy a house in. And has some of the best access into downtown.

Google maps puts it 9.3 miles from the Central Business District 78701.

Whereas the intersection of Hwy 620 and Hwy 183 is 17.2 miles from the CBD 78701. There are some nice neighborhoods out that way but its much further and has heavier traffic and longer commutes coming into the CBD. Nevertheless there has been so much development out that direction it is the first that Capital Metro is targeting for light rail.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:17 PM

7 posts, read 21,093 times
I came from FL - Jacksonville, and now I'm at Austin.
Safe place in Austin is Northside - around the corner of Palmer and Dessau rd. (google it)
Traffic is a lot different - aggressive drivers are more than needed. Be careful around downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin