Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:09 PM

106 posts, read 449,415 times

Advertisements

I am Bi-Polar, Level II, diagnosed in 2007. I have been on at least 14 different depression meds since 2003, and none have really worked. Most have had terrible side-effects. I'm a freelancer and have no insurance, so after I had a breakdown in 2007 I had to sign up with Austin Travis County Mental Health and Mental Retardation. Two years later any progress I've made has evaporated. My doctor keeps trying to push older meds on me that I've either tried already or that don't help.

I'm very frustrated and have hardly worked at all since November. (I don't qualify for Medicaid or SSI.) The last mood stabilizer my doctor had me on kept me in a constant state of anger and rage. I took myself off it last week and keep breaking down. I can't concentrate on the little work I do have.

To make a long story short, I need a psychiatrist that's actually going to listen to me and pay attention to my case, that offers a sliding scale or even does pro bono work, who can possibly get me fixed up with a medication that I can get through a pharmaceutical patient assistance program or at moderate cost.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 05:38 PM

17 posts, read 46,954 times
Here's one possibility: Lone Star Circle of Care

It's a community center in Round Rock that sees people on a sliding scale.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:19 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,489 times
I volunteer at the Volunteer Healthcare Clinic. Give them a call. They've got social workers on their staff who can refer you to the right people.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:02 PM

106 posts, read 449,415 times
Thanks passionatehearts. I know exactly where that is. Since I don't drive that place in Round Rock is not do-able for me.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js63 View Post
Thanks passionatehearts. I know exactly where that is. Since I don't drive that place in Round Rock is not do-able for me.
Glad I could help. I know a lot of people who are bipolar and know just how difficult it can be to live with if you're not on the right medication. I've also dealt with depression before, so I sympathize with your position.

You should come to the clinic on Tuesday or Thursday night when they see drop-in patients. Be sure to get there at least 30 minutes before the doors open at 6:00 PM so you can get an appointment. If the clinic can't prescribe you medication, I know they'll be able to refer you to someone who can help you pro bono or for a very low cost.

Good luck!

Old 08-10-2009, 09:26 PM

113 posts, read 263,358 times
I have worked within a psychological background for many years (criminal psychology for the most part) I had never heard of 'Bi-polar' dissorder until I moved from the UK to the US, how strange is that?......

....I first learned of it when I became friends with a lovely lady who would disappear from time to time to, who knows where? Eventually she explained that she was diagnosed with this 'I'm gonna call it a label'..........

She explained her moods, actions, ability of control and feelings. She explained her experiences while hospitalised and her state of mind when released..... My impression was...even though I did not know the full extent of her background, ie, original behaviour and it's diversity, diagnosis and reasoning or subsequent treatment. What did strike me was the Cocktail of treatment she left with!!...My question at that point was "are these 'so called psychiatric' doctors actually trying to find a cure? or are they using my friend as a 'guinea pig' to test drugs!!?? Do they really 'KNOW' what Bi-Polar' is or not!? Do they care!? Is it just a licence to print money for themselves !?........

..... I look at her and see a problem that is trying to be treated with drugs that in effect are causing the problem!! Am I right??

Old 08-10-2009, 09:46 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,557 times
There's no doubt we're an overmedicated society. It has nearly come to the point where they're developing pills to counter side effects of other pills.

Anyways, good luck to you js63. I hope you find the help you need.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsky View Post
..... I look at her and see a problem that is trying to be treated with drugs that in effect are causing the problem!! Am I right??
I'm really surprised that you have a psychology background but never heard of bipolar disorder. It's definitely not something that's just made up so the drug companies can sell more medicine. It's a real condition and can be very devastating if not treated.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
I'm really surprised that you have a psychology background but never heard of bipolar disorder. It's definitely not something that's just made up so the drug companies can sell more medicine. It's a real condition and can be very devastating if not treated.
I'm sorry I'm just being honest!

Bi-polar to me is a combination of:- depression, anxiety, ADHD and all the psychological side lines that go with them....

.....Ironically, I feel that adequate therapy would be way more advantageous to the patient than drugs. I know, I know !! there are not enough therapists with adequate experience. But there never will be while drugs and thier revenue rule the roost !!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post

Can I just say that I never said it wasn't a real disorder. I was trying to get across that making money from it's misunderstanding seemed to be paramount to finding a resolve...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin