Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:24 AM

19 posts, read 239,413 times

Advertisements

I wanted some opinions on how you think this city is being currently run. I feel as though a lot of people in this city do their best to commute efficiently and take advantage of bicycles and public transportation, but when it comes to the local government, TXDOT, & companies, I believe they could do a much better job.

The lights here, longest stop lights you'll ever sit at. Each light you come to is a red light, and causes many people to just sit and idle. Last time I've read up on idling, it's a very inefficient way to use gas, sure everyone has to do it, but can we fix the lights to use the sensor pads to change lights green when they feel other drivers approach? I've heard from around the bush that this is apart of the effort to 'slow austin down' and make way for more bicyclists and other alternative transportation methods. My question is for this, how can we expect people to take alternative transportation methods if they're visiting out of town, or coming down for the music scene. Chances are, if they bring a car down here to visit, they'll want to use that car to commute. If some of you are familiar with HWY 183-A, why are there FIVE stop lights on a toll road? Funding completely stopped, but we still pay for the tolls? Give me a break.

Secondly, renting here, what a nightmare. Being a student, you're a second class citizen when it comes to housing and safety, yet I say we bring in a lot of income, second to the music scene. Hyde park and west campus areas are ridden with petty crime and assaults. Many kids can't feel completely safe walking home because of the lack of police protection. We've got campus cops on UT, but they can't go outside of the campus to patrol. Yet, all of APD is concerned with giving DUI's on sixth. We've got homeless on every corner, most of them are always drunk, but even when you move up north, you're not safe from crummy landlords and crime. Everywhere I have leased, south austin, north, central, far west, it seems like they stick a few people in a room and tell them to lose paperwork and checks. When I leased in north Austin, they lost FIVE, F-I-V-E of my checks, and each time I had to pay a fee (which i deducted from my rent of course) for stopping a check...

Thirdly, to the Austinite drivers, and no offense to anyone, but honestly, what causes you guys to drive 55 in the left lane? I know you save gas at that speed, but is it worth it for you to save gas, and the 10 other people to ride their breaks for you? Or, Is it because you're not paying attention to your mirrors, or you've got your music too loud? Are you terrified of anything over 60 MPH? I understand keeping a safe speed and distance away from other cars, but when you're making other people behind you mad and cause them to tailgate, I think you're adding to a terrible situation already. I'll admit to cutting off a few of you idiots when you're doing that just to wake you up. Also, we have these mile long exits on the mopac, but everyone needs to immediately get on and cut others off. It's literally like a bunch of blind people driving sometimes. My favorite sayings for this: Austinites: lost in flight, slower traffic keep to the right.

I still enjoy austin though, I'm definitely moving when I'm done with school, but for the time being, like when I walk my dog down the street and see a lot of different architecture, that alone makes it pretty much worthy. Of course, I'm not about to pick up my dog's poop, I'll wash it down with water, it's good fertilizer ya know?

Last edited by far2fargo; 08-12-2009 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 10:39 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
It's not "The" Mopac, it's just plain Mopac. 55 in the left lane on 35 or Mopac, or 55 in the left lane on a road with a speed limit of 45?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
It's not "The" Mopac, it's just plain Mopac. 55 in the left lane on 35 or Mopac, or 55 in the left lane on a road with a speed limit of 45?
Is there a difference if I use "The"? I still think everyone can understand what I'm talking about...

SPEED LIMITS: 65MPH on "The" Missouri Pacific. 55MPH on IH35. Everyone does 55 regardless.

Re-read my post if you didn't get it the first time...

Old 08-12-2009, 10:51 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Yes, there's a difference. It's irritating as all get out, for some reason, when someone is criticizing our city and won't even bother to say the names of the streets correctly. The Missouri Pacific, by the way, is the railroad track that runs between the north and south lanes of Mopac. You're driving on there?

I haven't run into anyone driving 55 in the left lane on either Mopac or I35 - and I've been driving those roads a long, long time. I HAVE run into people driving the speed limit in the left lane occasionally, but rarely - more often, I'll run into people driving "only" 10 miles over the limit in the left lane (which is still a violation of the law, by the way, so don't pretend the ones driving the speed limit in the left lane are the ones with the problem and that the ones who want to speed are the ones that are in the right, that dog won't hunt no matter how hard you try). Occasionally, very rarely, I'll run into someone driving a little bit below the speed limit in the far right lane of three lanes, and I figure either they're new to the area and trying to find their exit, or they're older and are more cautious than they used to be, or their vehicle won't go a lot faster, or any number of other valid reasons.

So, I can't answer your question about people driving 55 in the left lane (short of a traffic jam where EVERYBODY is driving 20 or 30 miles below the limit because the roads are full), because I've not experienced it.

Oh, and no one is causing anyone else to tailgate. The person who tailgates is making that decision for themselves, and should take personal responsibility for the consequences of their own actions. Assuming they're old enough, and mature enough, to have a driver's license, that is. That's a violation of the traffic laws, as well.

As for the traffic lights, I learned a little trick lo these many years ago. If you drive the speed limit between the traffic lights, most times, you'll be able to sail right through them. If you speed, or go too slow, between them, you're likely to have to stop at all of them.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yes, there's a difference. It's irritating as all get out, for some reason, when someone is criticizing our city and won't even bother to say the names of the streets correctly. The Missouri Pacific, by the way, is the railroad track that runs between the north and south lanes of Mopac. You're driving on there?
I hope you understand what MoPac is short for...

Old 08-12-2009, 10:59 AM

Thank You THL!! Fartofargo, I'm not an idiot but you might try and be more specific.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:01 AM

Yes, I do understand what MoPac is short for. However, using the correct terminology, "the Missouri Pacific" refers to the railroad. Mopac is the nickname for Loop 1, the road. Both of which facts I suspect you know.

Now, as for the rest of my post? Or was that all you got out of it?

Old 08-12-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2fargo View Post
I hope you understand what MoPac is short for...

I have a feeling we've lived in Texas a lot longer than you have so, yes, we do know what MoPac is short for.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:03 AM

Oh, heck, I took a train ride on the Missouri Pacific up to Dallas before Mopac the road was even thought of!

Old 08-12-2009, 11:07 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Heh, new here Far2Fargo? Your complaints sound like the ones I had 20 years ago!

Yes, the roads suck. They won't see much improvement. As far as the city is concerned, if you don't live downtown or in one of the west-central neighborhoods, you don't matter. The city is at odds with UT, who doesn't have to follow the city rules... so of course students get second-class treatment by the city. The city is also at odds with the State government, so you won't find any road relief there. Just more moneymaking toll roads.

Drivers do drive slow in the left lane on the highways. I've never figured out why.

Property crime is a problem here, always has been. Perhaps the transient population adds to that. As a student, my car was broken into several times.

Anyway, that's the deal. Welcome to Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin