Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2007, 07:59 PM

548 posts, read 2,644,675 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Dallas from a very liberal town in the East. It's for my husband's work, so it's going to happen.

I think Austin would be a great "fit" for us. Dallas wouldn't really be the first place I'd think of when I consider places for a white liberal atheist couple with a black son...but hey, Dallas is a big city and good people are everywhere.

So...I'm posing the question here: where would someone who loves Austin live if they had to move to Dallas?? Either in Dallas proper (not the suburban sprawl preferably) or out in a semi rural area (5-10+ acres)?

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 09:00 PM

155 posts, read 501,713 times
I just moved to Austin from Dallas. If public school isn't important you might like Old East Dallas (anything from Deep Ellum for lofts to Lakewood, Gastonwood and Casa Linda) or maybe something in Oak Cliff around Bishop Arts. I wouldn't advise going to DISD, but there are many good private schools in town.

Not sure about rural stuff, but most is not very scenic (think plains) The one exception might be south near Cedar Hill and Joe Pool lake.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:11 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,650,280 times
My sister lives in lower Greenville (spelling?) It's off Mockingbird lane, close to downtown. She lives in walking distance to resturaunts and shopping. Kinda artsy/up and coming. The houses in her neighborhood are almost all 1920's era though. They've done lots of remodeling in theirs.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:01 PM

92 posts, read 760,962 times
I would move to Lochwood, right outside of Casa Linda and I would send my kid to the neighborhood school...Martha T. Reilly. DISD has some fantastic schools, just bad press. How much are you looking to spend and I can give you better suggestions? (I grew up in Casa Linda, went to DISD schools, then came back and worked for DISD.)

Old 04-27-2007, 10:33 AM

Sorry if I provided too much info..I just wanted to make it clear that we will not necessarily blend in. We are not a single-race Christian family, and as my impression of Texas overall is strongly conservative Bible belt, it seemed relevant. Particularly after hearing about Highland Park, which is one place I am now fairly certain I don't want to live. I thought those who enjoy Austin might have some insight, as I'm fairly certain I would like Austin.

Anyway, price range is up to about $1Million if the public schools are good and maybe $750K if we need to do private school for all 3 of our kids.

Last edited by MaimounaKande; 04-27-2007 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: Partially orphaned

Old 04-27-2007, 02:14 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,090,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2aus View Post
I just moved to Austin from Dallas. If public school isn't important you might like Old East Dallas (anything from Deep Ellum for lofts to Lakewood, Gastonwood and Casa Linda) or maybe something in Oak Cliff around Bishop Arts. I wouldn't advise going to DISD, but there are many good private schools in town.

Not sure about rural stuff, but most is not very scenic (think plains) The one exception might be south near Cedar Hill and Joe Pool lake.
Where do you get your information about the public schools in East Dallas? Have you ever been to one? Have you had children in them?

Apparently not. Yet you would foolishly advise someone to waste their money on private schools. Moderator cut: personal attack

Old 04-27-2007, 02:35 PM

92 posts, read 760,962 times
If your price range is that high, I would live in Lakewood. Tokalon is my favorite street in the whole city of Dallas. Many of the community send there children through the public schools even though they can afford to send them to private. It's a great community with a lot to offer.

I agree that Highland Park is not the way to go if you are have a mixed family.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:14 PM

Thank you all! It's really great to have at least a starting point before showing up. I am starting to feel more comfortable w/the idea of moving to TX now that I'm hearing about some areas we might like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin