Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 01:06 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,988,236 times

Advertisements

on september 3-16 my friend and i are taking a trip from austin to nashville for 2 weeks with stops in austin, san antonio, dallas, little rock, memphis, and nashville. i have been to austin 2x, but never actually did the touristy things and now i want to do them finally. this is what i have. anything else i should see and do? we arent really into college clubs/bars but want to go to 6th street so we can say we did it. we are more into places we can just wear jeans, have a table, hear music, and get a drink. checked out other threads and included some info in here.

Thursday, September 3
  • Check out the bats
  • rent bikes or canoe and go to Town Lake
  • Go to 5th and 6th St. Check out Mean Eyed Cat.

Friday, September 4
  • Ghosts of the Warehouse District Tour at 8:30 at Moonshine’s Patio Bar and Grill
  • Swim in Barton Springs and walk around Zilker
  • Governor’s Mansion in the morning

Saturday, September 5
  • Tubing on the Guadalupe
  • Lunch/Dinner in Gruene
  • Ghosts of the Capital District Tour at 8:30 at Moonshine’s Patio Bar and Grill if we are up to me (i am into ghosts and haunted places. yes i am insane)

Tuesday, September 15, Austin Holiday Inn Town Lake
Coming back in the late afternoon from Dallas. Probably just veg out and go to Alamo Drafthouse.

Wednesday, September 16, flying back home in the evening
* walk around Congress and check out hotel san jose because i hear its cool
* hamilton pool

food:
my favorite restaurant is shady grove so we will go there.
the oasis
the country line or salt lick
baby acapulco
chuy's magnolia cafe
and juan in a million
Roaring fork- copperhonk said to get huckleberry margarita

i am a foodie but dont eat red meat or pork! my friend is a nurse and pretty health conscious.

Last edited by Naomi Manischewitz; 08-13-2009 at 01:18 AM.. Reason: forgot stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 07:44 AM

701 posts, read 2,482,422 times
Nothing to add but just double check that Barton Springs Pool is open that day. I think they are closed one day a week for cleaning.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:08 AM

157 posts, read 446,118 times
Is the governors mansion open for tours? I thought it was closed from the fire. You may want to check into that.

Looks like a fun trip though!

Old 08-13-2009, 08:13 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,088 times
You can wear jeans everywhere, but you might consider bringing shorts. It's HOT.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:16 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
You can wear jeans everywhere, but you might consider bringing shorts. It's HOT.
Yes, it's been really hot, but as per jeans around Austin that's one of the things I love about it. Jeans are welcome anywhere.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:54 AM

544 posts, read 1,667,470 times
one of my favs is jovita's in south austin on thursdays -- cornell hurd always puts on a good show, the people are always friendly, and, for either an ausitnite or visitor, finding such a low-profile gem is fun

the elephant room is laid back and don't forget the piano bar in the driskill -- usually something going on there!

Old 08-13-2009, 12:08 PM

thanks for the tips! will add to check out jovita's, the elephant room, and the driskill for entertainment. check if barton springs pool is open, see if governor's mansion is open for tours, and wear shorts. is there a website i can check to see if barton springs pool is open on the days i will be there?

Old 08-13-2009, 12:11 PM

oh it looks like barton springs is closed on thursdays for cleaning.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:12 PM

wow. you were right about the fire. no tours. looks like 7th edition of frommer's is wrong!!!

any other suggested places to go to? any outdoor markets or anything?

Old 08-13-2009, 01:01 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
wow. you were right about the fire. no tours. looks like 7th edition of frommer's is wrong!!!

any other suggested places to go to? any outdoor markets or anything?
If you were going to check out the Governor's mansion, why not check out the Capitol Building instead?

Sept 3rd is First Thursday on South Congress! You should definitely check that out First Thursday * SoCoDistrict.com (http://www.socodistrict.com/1stthursday.html - broken link).

Also, just FYI... Saturday, September 5th is the opening home game for the Longhorns! Hotels may be hard to find, and bars and clubs may be extra full (but not as bad as SXSW). There will be acres of tailgaters around the campus area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin