Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 10:41 AM

41 posts, read 113,164 times

Advertisements

After lots of research, we've narrowed our move down to these three areas. Taking finances into consideration, which would be your preference? Why?

Last edited by Where'sTheBeach?; 08-22-2009 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 10:45 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,496,016 times
Default No again

I'm pretty sure we've been here before.

Why don't you list the pros and cons of each one and your specific requirements....

Old 08-22-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
I'm pretty sure we've been here before.

Why don't you list the pros and cons of each one and your specific requirements....
I don't think we have "been here before." Have we?

Secondly, I am asking others' opinions of where they would rather live, not where they think I should live.

Thank you, though, for your suggestions.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:16 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
I would pick Austin.

Sarasota is ground zero for the real estate bust and has no core economy other than tourism and real estate.

The inland empire and California generally is a complete financial mess.

If you are looking to establish a decent quality of life in a decent neighborhood with good schools and reasonable employment prospects then Austin is probably the best bet of the three.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:30 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
But I don't understand, you are asking in Austin forum, by default wouldn't most of us prefer Austin?

FWIW, I would NEVER ever live in Sarasota FL or god forbid, Temecula!

Especially right now, Florida and the inland empire are ground zero of the real estate collapse, both have high unemployment, and Temecula in particular has an uncertain future.

And who knows if Austin would be a fit for you? You might look at Nashville, Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston.

Why are you even considering Sarasota or Temecula?

Old 08-22-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
But I don't understand, you are asking in Austin forum, by default wouldn't most of us prefer Austin?

FWIW, I would NEVER ever live in Sarasota FL or god forbid, Temecula!

Especially right now, Florida and the inland empire are ground zero of the real estate collapse, both have high unemployment, and Temecula in particular has an uncertain future.

And who knows if Austin would be a fit for you? You might look at Nashville, Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston.

Why are you even considering Sarasota or Temecula?
I've gotten quite a bit of perspective from people who have lived or do live in both Temecula and Sarasota, and we have family in both Florida and California. So I was hoping to a perspective from Austinites. We are not interested in "Nashville, Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas, or Houston."

You are right. Who does know whether Austin would be a good fit for me? Which is why I am asking why it is or is not a good fit for others.

Also, we are waiting for economic improvement before we do make a move. My husband has gone back to school, and we plan on saving for quite a while before we move so we do not have much of a mortgage.
I ask these questions to form an understanding of an area before we pursue future visits to explore an area. I am merely interested in others' opinions for themselves in this post, and will probably be more specific in a future post about my interests in a future post.

Thanks

By the way, I had to look up FWIW. Haha!

Old 08-22-2009, 01:12 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,276 times
I've been to Temecula and found it to be hot, brown, dusty, angry drivers, mess. If you can't afford to live on the west side of the mountains then I've pick someplace else to live. At least Austin is green and the people are friendly.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
I've been to Temecula and found it to be hot, brown, dusty, angry drivers, mess. If you can't afford to live on the west side of the mountains then I've pick someplace else to live. At least Austin is green and the people are friendly.

Thanks, Blue Bell. I appreciate your perspective.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:30 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
yes, it is annoying when people answer a question with a question, like why even ask that question! I prefer to ask open ended questions too, to get a truer response.

Personally I like Inland Empire and Temecula is, I think pretty close to San Diego and Oceanside correct? If the beach is important to you, as it is to me....it's a heck of alot nicer than the beaches we have here...same with Sarasota.

Also, not sure of the real estate mess matters if you are moving somewhere to stay ...I think it means you can get a good deal on home right now.....

I think all 3 are good choices. It dpeneds on where you are orginally from and what culture you will fit into.

I'd probably fit into CA or FL the best. Even though Austin has nice perks. It IS very hot and landlocked, and I have allegies here I never had before.

I also don't like the extremes in Texas (uber liberals, uber conservatives). I am way too middle of the road.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:37 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I lived in swFlorida. Sarasota is a retirement mecca. It is about as unfriendly, unhip as you can get and extrememly rude.

I'd pick Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin