Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:03 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,043,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
If you're new here and haven't experienced flash floods yet, please heed the warning "turn around, don't drown". RO is right - people die because they try to cross when they shouldn't.
I watched this happen to someone in Georgetown a few years back. This guy and his wife decided to chance it and cross a low bridge in Berry Creek and got stuck with the flooding water from the creek. Me and the whole neighborhood watched the rescue. It was an elderly couple. The wife was rescued and the husband got washed away and his body found the next the morning downstream. Pretty surreal, altho I wonder what they were thinking to have attempted to cross the water like that on the bridge...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 01:09 PM

5,849 posts, read 11,846,136 times
I know, I am just amazed when it happens. If you've lived here any time at all, you've seen countless people die because they tried to cross a flooded road. It's enough to scare me from doing it ever.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:17 PM

15,241 posts, read 35,440,091 times
Quote:
It was an elderly couple. The wife was rescued and the husband got washed away and his body found the next the morning downstream. Pretty surreal, altho I wonder what they were thinking to have attempted to cross the water like that on the bridge
I think I remember this incident....there was a 'flash flood gate' that is suppose to close off the road automatically, but it was not working, so a city worker had to come out and close it. He apparently got there right after the couple passed it. I think the argument that the survivor made (or thier lawyer) was that they figured it must be safe since the gate was not down (they did not know it was out of order). Not sure I buy that, though .

Old 09-11-2009, 01:38 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I think I remember this incident....there was a 'flash flood gate' that is suppose to close off the road automatically, but it was not working, so a city worker had to come out and close it. He apparently got there right after the couple passed it. I think the argument that the survivor made (or thier lawyer) was that they figured it must be safe since the gate was not down (they did not know it was out of order). Not sure I buy that, though .
Yep, that's what happened - the gate wasn't working. But even still, before you make the drive across, you can OBVIOUSLY see the water rushing over the bridge! It's a sad incident and all, but common sense could have saved a life here - JMO.

And right now that bridge is being reconstructed to a high-level one. Every time I go out to visit family, I have to take this pain-in-the-butt detour to get around it to their house! It's not supposed to be completed until November.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:03 PM

7,991 posts, read 10,332,852 times
I personally love it when people drive around the huge low water crossing gates or move the barriers so they can drive through. I hope the city sends a big old fat bill for the cost of rescuing those idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: