Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 12:45 PM

748 posts, read 1,770,726 times

Advertisements

Yes, I just added Dice to my morning rotation a few days ago (along with Monster, Careerbuilder, JobServe, AustinJobs, AustinRecruiter, and austinhomesearch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 03:10 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I have never EVER met a happy Dell employee! Seriously, and I know dozens.

And it is not a surprise that you are only finding listings for senior positions. Austin overflows with folks who are qualified for entry level IT jobs and new engineer jobs. UT just churns out high quality people in those fields. So those jobs are both hard to find and the prevailing wage tends to be lower than in other places.

good luck
I have done a lot of contract work at dell and know a lot of dell employees in the IT side. We dont necessarily talk about if they love their work, but it seems like a lot of people are pretty happy.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:32 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,035,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Have you tried applying for a job through a staffing firm like Spherion? That might be your best way in unless you personally know someone at Dell with hiring authority.
Try the ONLY way.....no entry-level jobs are through the company directly, hence the reason you were only finding mid level and up jobs posted....those are the only ones Dell hires directly..........

Old 09-02-2009, 06:42 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Try the ONLY way.....no entry-level jobs are through the company directly, hence the reason you were only finding mid level and up jobs posted....those are the only ones Dell hires directly..........
True, and even those require a connection.

I'm surprised people are still recommending [that web site] to find jobs. Online job boards can contain repeated, duplicate, or fake listings. Many employers have stopped using them because they get swamped with too many responses. Some recruiting agencies just use them to collect resumes for databases. Not to mention spammers collecting email addresses and companies that are just digging for data.

My resume has not been online in a few years, yet I still get email for jobs across the country that are not in my field or that I stand no chance of being considered for.

10 reasons not to post your resume online | EmploymentDigest.net

Five rules for posting your resume online

Old 09-04-2009, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I have never EVER met a happy Dell employee! Seriously, and I know dozens.

good luck
Hi Centralaustinite,

My name's Spire302 and I work at Dell, and I'm fairly happy doing so - no real complaints. I suppose it depends on where you work; I work in Product Group.

Anyway, now that you know me, you now know at least one happy Dell employee, so please quit talking in absolutes.

Best regards,
Spire302

Old 09-04-2009, 01:55 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,276 times
I happen to know of someone else who is very happy there, so make that two!

Old 09-04-2009, 01:57 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spire302 View Post
Hi Centralaustinite,

My name's Spire302 and I work at Dell, and I'm fairly happy doing so - no real complaints. I suppose it depends on where you work; I work in Product Group.

Anyway, now that you know me, you now know at least one happy Dell employee, so please quit talking in absolutes.

Best regards,
Spire302
Ha!

Well, you have the honor of being the first!

I am not a Dell hater by any means but consistently Dell employees that I know have complained about the lack of flexibility on the part of managers, difficulty finding support for balancing work and home, and excessive focus on rigid rules, all things that many other high tech employers in town do much better. And this has been a consistent thing over the past 10-15 years and not just from one or two people.

But anyway, I do wish Dell the best, Round Rock depends on their sales tax revenue. And in the current economic climate I do expect that complaints will be more muffled -- everyone is simply happy to have a job!

Old 09-04-2009, 04:19 PM

739 posts, read 3,056,324 times
Look at staffing agencies like Volt or Ciber. I got hired by Ciber and I am now contracted out to AMD. I love both companies.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:58 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,419 times
You know how many places to work the places are overtly friendly, theres not much open oppression. You can come do your job and feel supported and valued. Where the bad employees are mentored and given the guidance or discipline they need to be successful.
Well Dell isnt that place. They treat you worse than an elementary school child. Its like some kind of communist state where you're supposed to smile at your ill treatment or be considered an 'enemy'. Theres cameras in the cube farms in the open watching for god knows what. You will hear clicks on the phone every now and then which means someone is listening into your call for god knows why.
Most of the management has their 'knives' out 24/7 ready to stab anyone who disagrees with them or anyone who isnt toeing the party line. Thats the only way to get ahead in the company, you have to treat everyday like combat.
Unreasonable stress and expectations are what comes from those above you at every level. If you dont meet these impossible expectations the solution to your non-performance is to unload more stress and misery upon you.
Of course theres exceptions. I'm sure theres plenty of people who ignore the hysterical aspects of the company and have found a nice safe nest somewhere in the company to get by at.
But generally my description is the rule and the happy people are the exception. It was downright scary you would see pictures of people who had been there for 3+ years who barely resembled the pictures on their desk.
The place is like a giant torture chamber for many of the employees there.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:38 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,276 times
Orbius- what area of the company do you work in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: