Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:19 AM

70 posts, read 106,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
You have no idea how criminal investigations operate. Subpoenaing social media for accounts is SOP and it doesn't matter if they've been deleted or font show up in searches. The police just do it. This screen capping Internet detective did nothing of value and it's laughable that people think the cops aren't smart enough to investigate social media.
As we have recent examples of cases where two guilty drunk drivers got off (Nestande and Couch) with a slap on the wrist, I don't overestimate the diligence of the police and the DAs in prosecuting these crimes.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:27 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,954,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catscradle View Post
As we have recent examples of cases where two guilty drunk drivers got off (Nestande and Couch) with a slap on the wrist, I don't overestimate the diligence of the police and the DAs in prosecuting these crimes.
That had nothing to do with the investigation. It had everything to do with extremely competent and expensive defense attorneys and lenient judges. Both of those individuals were found guilty based on the evidence (which had nothing to do with social media.)

Old 12-30-2013, 10:27 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,257 times
Quote:
Funny, I thought it was juries and judges that assessed guilt and sentences.

Probation is the norm for first offense intoxication manslaughter in Travis County. You may not like it - but it is the norm, and not the "fault" of "police and the DAs".

But there is always the noose ...

Old 12-30-2013, 10:55 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
I don't fault anyone for deleting his Facebook and Twitter accounts. I come from a family of lawyers, and understand why that would be the first thing someone did. I also know that law enforcement will get that information anyway (and I'm sure they already have).

As far as speculation on sentencing, as I mentioned before, this guy (or his lawyer) would be a complete moron to put this case in front of a jury. Unlike the Nestande case, police know exactly what happened. They were able to test his blood alcohol level. They know that HE knew what happened and that he intentionally ran from the scene. It's a pretty cut and dry case, and a jury would not be kind to him. He will probably take a plea deal. But the things like his social media accounts and actions before and after the incident, will certainly factor in his sentencing.

As far as his family goes, I did know about his siblings, etc., but only because a friend lives near them and is familiar with the family. But I'm sure that if the press keeps following this story, they will bring all of this up and more. What I am really curious about, is if he was drinking at their house (he was just wearing a towel when the accident occurred, so unlikely that he was at a bar), and if they knew he was drunk (his Tweets indicate that he was drinking earlier in the day), or in a rage, whatever, when he got in his car. I don't know if this is the case, but I am curious about the details leading up to the accident.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Well, since you are now answering for everyone:

Then, obviously six months in jail and ten years probation is below what is acceptable. So yes, that constitutes a proposed lower boundary - and that something more severe is what is acceptable - to not be a "slap on the wrist."

And just to break though your vigilante fog - probation is a criminal sentence.
The Couch case did not happen nor was it tried and prosecuted here in Austin. It also involved a minor.

The Nestande case was local, but as I mentioned earlier, it is not really comparable to this one. No one saw the accident that Nestande was involved in. This accident was witnessed by many people, police were on the scene right away (they were nearby already) and were able to analyze crash data, cars, etc. No blood or breath tests were ever done on Nastande, making it hard to prove she was legally drunk. Investigators did not have opportunity to talk to her until the following day, making it hard to prove whether she knew what happened. The person in this case willingly fled the scene, indicating that he knew he had done something wrong. These two cases are very, very different.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:10 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
The Couch case did not happen nor was it tried and prosecuted here in Austin. It also involved a minor.

The Nestande case was local, but as I mentioned earlier, it is not really comparable to this one.

These two cases are very, very different.
I think your argument is with someone else, not me:

Quote:
The issue was setting a lower boundary for what constitutes a "slap on the wrist". The trial and sentencing could have been in Timbuktu for jaywalking.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:56 PM

This is going to be the last I say on this thread, as it's just too emotional for me. Read and decide for yourself. The Travis County affidavit for warrant of arrest as reported by the Four Points News:

Affidavit tells Wyzykowski was "uncooperative, indifferent and cocky" at the scene - Four Points News

Old 12-31-2013, 12:22 AM

404 posts, read 712,066 times
there are probably a lot of drunk idiots like him out there every single night. he looks exactly like a typical drunk hip wannabe downtown bar hopper. New Years Eve will probably be dangerous, so keep your eyes peeled!

Austin has a large alcoholic culture... hooch fuels a major part of the economy. Funny.. you hear the words 'he was drunk' or 'she's an alcoholic', but they never sound as damning as 'he was on drugs' or 'she's a drug addict'. Its legal drug abuse!

my friends visited from California and said "THE DRINKS ARE SO CHEAP HERE... THEY'RE ALMOST FREE!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by digammo View Post
I moved here from Los Angeles one year ago. I can only say that Austin (specifically 620, 2222 & 360) have the most dangerous drivers and road conditions I have ever seen in my life.
yep. it seems there's way too many reckless jerks on Austin roads! Its the worst I've ever seen too... worse than LA, Orange County, or San Diego!

the booze industry should pay a tax for treatment programs, awareness, and compensation to the victims of the demolition derby they've created

AND IM STILL CONFUSED...

booze, cigarettes, pharmaceutical narcotics are abused daily

but cannabis, mushrooms, lsd, cocaine, opiates, etc are illegal? and this is a global policy!

what a joke!

I feel terrible for the victims.. what good people. they died in a prius... so sad.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:23 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,998,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Investigators did not have opportunity to talk to her until the following day, making it hard to prove whether she knew what happened. The person in this case willingly fled the scene, indicating that he knew he had done something wrong.
Just so you know some people that drink alcohol can appear "ok" and not remember a thing after they come-to. They're called blackouts and can go on for hours at a time. People seeing someone actually functioning in a blackout would swear the person knew what they were doing. Just because he fled doesn't indicate he knew what he was doing. Besides, would someone in their "right mind" drive 80 to 100 miles an hour on 620? In regards to the other "famous" drunk driving case in Austin...maybe we'll see whether she set a precedent.

Shredding Gnar: Good luck trying to get the booze industry to pay for anything other than another "drink responsibly" commercial. That would be the same as standing up against the pharmaceutical industry. Also, it doesn't take an alcoholic to get drunk, drive and cause an accident. Meanwhile...let's build another fence.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:10 AM

70 posts, read 106,051 times
"Just because he fled doesn't indicate he knew what he was doing. Besides, would someone in their "right mind" drive 80 to 100 miles an hour on 620?"

He knew what he was doing sufficiently to refuse a sobriety test and tell the police his lawyer would give them a blood test several days later. Sound less like a black-out than an arrogant, manipulative POS to me.

"right mind"? as all parents know, many teenagers and immature, entitled 20somethings believe they are immortal. And evidently he was right: he murdered two people, gravely injured five others and managed to scamper off in a towel with just a scratch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: