U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Ted Ted started this thread

1 posts, read 1,706 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving from California to a small town near Austin or San Antonio when we retire next year. Would appreciate hearing from others who have moved from Califiornia to Texas. Was it worth it - Giving up the So. Cal weather for less expensive Real Estate?

Thanks for your opinions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2006, 03:39 PM

1,883 posts, read 1,492,664 times
Personally,I can't imagine living in the same kind of weather,no matter how moderate,all the time.Give me some changing of seasons regularly anytime.I'll put up with summer to enjoy the change into fall,and with the few cold spells of winter to appreciate the coming of spring.Now if we could just bypass the 100's of summer and go straight from spring to fall .

Old 09-11-2014, 11:47 PM

325 posts, read 301,569 times
the less expensive real estate is relative to desirable proximity. Coming out from Socal, I was told to check out Buda.. how it was a super great deal and all that. Well that didn't last more than a day before I figured out that I needed to be somewhat close to the city. The heat is unrelenting for about 4-6 months... I mean you will be drenched in sweat after being outside for about 10 minutes. I hear that older people prefer heat to cold, and I can agree with that to some extent as I am aging more and more everyday haha

I guess the main deciding factor for most people is where they can find work.

A 300K house around the suburbs will be nice, but factor in the utility bills and taxes... it gets expensive really fast.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:37 AM

436 posts, read 231,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
We are considering moving from California to a small town near Austin or San Antonio when we retire next year. Would appreciate hearing from others who have moved from Califiornia to Texas. Was it worth it - Giving up the So. Cal weather for less expensive Real Estate?
If you like the beach / coast / mountains or an active outdoor lifestyle, that's difficult to accomplish year-round here. Our property taxes are high, so unless you are making significant income after retirement, it may be a wash economically.

There's truly no other year-round great weather in the US unless perhaps Hawaii. The trend is that Austin and San Antonio will become even hotter and drier. I would encourage you to visit in August - if you can handle four months of August-like weather, the rest is okay. I know many native Texans who have moved to California and will stay there the rest of their lives; and vice versa.

Another alternative as retirees would be to rent a place for a year before deciding.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:14 AM

1,270 posts, read 1,053,850 times
Hillcountryheart, the OP post was from 2006. Just so you know.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:24 AM

403 posts, read 156,974 times
What the deal with all these old threads resurfacing recently?

Old 09-12-2014, 03:43 AM

16,509 posts, read 23,002,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
What the deal with all these old threads resurfacing recently?
People do searches by topic, not date, and older posts pop up. And then there's this, at the bottom of every older C-D post, encouraging it, so apparently C-D wants it:

Old 09-12-2014, 08:20 AM

8,763 posts, read 18,194,135 times
But doesn't it make you wonder what Ted decided to do?

Old 09-12-2014, 08:01 PM

14,536 posts, read 21,209,772 times
For the necroposters...

I grew up on the central Northern US states, but lived in LA, 1971-1972, had a lot of fun but got tired of the crowds and traffic. Moved to Denver, got married, moved to Austin in 1977, got another degree, got a job, loved Austin, still love Austin! Never found any reason to leave.

I have visited CA numerous times. I notice that S. CA attracts snow birds when the winter is worst in Northern states. Living in Austin, the most attractive times to visit S. CA is Summer, August & Sept. when temperatures here hit the 100's. Had one great vacation in Monterrey in Sept!

Austin is great 9 months of the year, but summer is a good time to travel to cooler climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin