Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 05:09 PM

17 posts, read 51,766 times

Advertisements

Pretty Much what I should be getting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 03:18 PM

587 posts, read 1,414,218 times
Ok, now I'm concerned about the speeds there through TimeWarner, specifically for uploading. Are the upload speeds really that slow? My hubby (Runemaster) needs uploading speeds to be quick for work.

For the past 10 years, we had cable internet through Cox Communications in Phoenix and while the reliability was not good, the speeds were decent. I think we averaged around 8-9 Mbps for downloading and 3-4 Mbps for uploading. It was sufficient for him.

We are now in Minnesota for a brief stay until we relocate to Austin this spring/summer and we have Comcast for our cable internet. Reliability is FANTASTIC (we haven't had one outage since we hooked up in August) and speeds are outstanding and blow our Phoenix speeds away. We researched DSL through Qwest before going with Comcast, but with Qwest, no matter the tier of speed you paid for, your upload speed did not increase and was under 1 Mbps for all plans. Nowhere near good enough for hubby's needs. So, Comcast it was and here's my result:

Maybe a fluke, so let's try it again:

I haven't seen anyone post anything even close to this, so now I'm VERY worried...

Old 12-29-2009, 03:52 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,547,987 times
You can definitely pay more to get the Time Warner "RoadRunner Turbo with Powerboost". You should be able to match the 15Mbps download speeds. However, I believe you are still limited to 1Mbps upload. You should call Time Warner directly to find out if you can pay more to get faster upload speeds. It might actually vary between neighborhoods depending on their infrastructure. I know a lot of ISP's in the past have always limited upload speeds because they don't want people to host FTP sites in their home. Another option would be to purchase a business class Internet account. I would imagine it would cost a lot more, but it might allow you to get the speeds that you need. Either way, you should call Time Warner directly. I wouldn't waste too much time with other providers if you need that kind of speed.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:04 PM

538 posts, read 1,729,470 times
Time Warner in Hyde Park

Old 12-29-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
You can definitely pay more to get the Time Warner "RoadRunner Turbo with Powerboost". You should be able to match the 15Mbps download speeds. However, I believe you are still limited to 1Mbps upload. You should call Time Warner directly to find out if you can pay more to get faster upload speeds. It might actually vary between neighborhoods depending on their infrastructure. I know a lot of ISP's in the past have always limited upload speeds because they don't want people to host FTP sites in their home. Another option would be to purchase a business class Internet account. I would imagine it would cost a lot more, but it might allow you to get the speeds that you need. Either way, you should call Time Warner directly. I wouldn't waste too much time with other providers if you need that kind of speed.
Thanks. Calling them directly is certainly the best thing to do. And that's kind of what I figured (going with Time Warner) as they seemed to have the fastest speeds (as do most of the local big-wig cable companies).

We may just have to pony up for a business account if that's the only way to get good upload speeds, which is sure a bummer since we don't have to pay for it now. I think we pay like $49.95/mo for the top tier w/Powerboost here.

Ah well, it is what it is and we're certainly not going to stay in this frozen place just for the fast upload speeds!

Old 12-29-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguel View Post
Time Warner in Hyde Park

Ok, that's actually not that bad and would probably be doable. Insane download speed!!!

Old 01-04-2013, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 970 times
You should be worried ... in the Austin Texas area we seem to be 'bottle-necked' at 1.5MB up. You might see 2MB in some places, but nothing more. I'd check out Houston! I know one guy there getting 10-20MB "up"!!

[mod]see comment[/mod]

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-05-2013 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: Per TOS, Signatures are disabled. Do not include "manual" signatures in your posts.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:07 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,170,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rAllcorn View Post
You should be worried ... in the Austin Texas area we seem to be 'bottle-necked' at 1.5MB up. You might see 2MB in some places, but nothing more. I'd check out Houston! I know one guy there getting 10-20MB "up"!!

Moderator cut: see comment
Looks like you might be on dial up, or two cans and a twisted pair of strings. This thread was last posted in 2009.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-05-2013 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: updated quoted text

Old 01-05-2013, 06:15 AM

Yeah, that's pretty funny. We've been here for a year and half now and I was worried for nothing:

Old 01-08-2013, 01:55 PM

249 posts, read 489,940 times
Time Warner in 'farm country' (Cedar Creek) gets ~29Mbps down, ~5mbps up regularly. Just be sure to plug the address into their service webpage or call to make sure the place you're looking for is in their service area.

Don't know about U-Verse, but I've never been a fan of ATT back when I had a landline.

Grande Communications may be an option too, but their service area is pretty tiny and they don't publish a public map of it, you have to plug addresses into their website to see if your potential house is covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin