U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 03:01 PM

103 posts, read 241,426 times
Default Affordable vintage lamp repair and chair upholstering

I'm looking to have a few vintage lamps rewired. Anyone know of a good place to go that doesn't charge too much?

Also need to have some vintage kitchen seats reupholstered.

Lastly, what's the best place to find a great selection of unique, vintage (or vintage inspired) fabrics?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 10:09 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,859,793 times
We had a 1950's brass dining room fixture replated and rewired at Brady's on W. 35th street. I didn't price compare as much as I could have, but it is like new now. They did a beautiful job.

A lot of people like Tipler's on W 5th street. I stopped by to have them look at a 50's pull-down fixture, but never had it repaired. They seemed very knowledgeable.

Sorry I couldn't help you with cost questions, though. What I had done was more involved than rewiring, so the quality of the work was the primary concern.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:49 AM

189 posts, read 282,672 times
I concur with capcat on Brady's for lighting.

We had our UK lamps rewired there and a bronze sink replated. I thought the prices were quite reasonable. I will definitely use/shop Brady's again. My husband had to drag me away from the lamps; they have great vintage lighting.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:59 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,399,953 times
I'd see if you have any old friends. re-wiring lamps is about the easiest thing to do. The most difficult thing is routing the wires through the tubing and lamp parts, some which are kind of twisty. Look it up online. Its not that hard.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:35 PM

Silverhorn is correct; rewiring a lamp is fairly straigtforward. I rewired a lamp purchased at Tuesday Morning that caught on fire right after I turned it off, totally odd, just a flame and smoke. Fortunately it wasn't near anything flamable.
The lamps I left with Brady's have some odd lampshades that even they hadn't seen. They are rewiring and adapting the lamps with a regular harp so I can change shades someday.
My husband changed the plug on the UK lamps. That didn't work, just blew the fuse in the lamp. He told me to get someone else to do it, he didn't want to bother with the task. At least I only brought home 2 lamps.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:50 PM

103 posts, read 241,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I'd see if you have any old friends. re-wiring lamps is about the easiest thing to do. The most difficult thing is routing the wires through the tubing and lamp parts, some which are kind of twisty. Look it up online. Its not that hard.
I tried rewiring one of them myself and ended up blowing a fuse and causing sparks to fly from the wall outlet. I think it's more complicated because it has 2 lamps on one base. You turn the switch once and it turns on one lamp, turn it again, it switches to the other lamp, turn a third time, both lamps come on. Anyway I feel safer in the hands of professionals! Thanks for the recommendation, I'll Brady's a call!

Old 11-27-2010, 06:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,206 times
Default Lamp from Tuesday Morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKjay View Post
Silverhorn is correct; rewiring a lamp is fairly straigtforward. I rewired a lamp purchased at Tuesday Morning that caught on fire right after I turned it off, totally odd, just a flame and smoke. Fortunately it wasn't near anything flamable.
The lamps I left with Brady's have some odd lampshades that even they hadn't seen. They are rewiring and adapting the lamps with a regular harp so I can change shades someday.
My husband changed the plug on the UK lamps. That didn't work, just blew the fuse in the lamp. He told me to get someone else to do it, he didn't want to bother with the task. At least I only brought home 2 lamps.
My house burned down the other day from a lamp that we bought at Tuesday Morning. If you still have the lamp and its from Tuesday Morning I would like to purchase it from you.

Please let me know.

Thank You

Old 11-28-2010, 08:38 AM

I can't imagine what you are going through right now. If I'd left the study we'd be in your "shoes" since the lamp was on my desk which was covered with papers and full of books.

I quite like the lamp, so my husband took it apart and rewired it. I do have the lamp, but not the original parts that caused the "fire." The lamp is about 7 years old. However, if it will help you in any way; it's yours. Just let me know.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,206 times
Thank you so much! I'll let you know.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:23 PM

265 posts, read 451,008 times
Another vote for Tipler's for the lamp rewiring.

Not sure about the upholstery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin