Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 03:54 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,143 times

Advertisements

With the amount of traffic on the roads in Austin, theres always an opportunity to drive friendly or to drive greedily. I can easily be a jerk, as many people are here, and not let you merge, not make a little space for you.
However I usually do. The annoying thing is that maybe 1 out of 20 drivers when you go a little out of your way to give them some space will acknowledge your kindness with a little wave.
This is a bad habit Austin has gotten itself into. I always give a little wave to people who do some small driving courtesy for me.
What is it about Austin that seems to make this the exception instead of the norm.
Really not waving feeds this ugly driving culture that is growing in the area. Where people cut each other off, drive too close to their bumper, and people go out of their way not to let even 1 car merge into their lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 04:09 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
One of my peeves too. I always give a sign of acknowledgement with a wave.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:11 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times
Could it be that sometimes people don't notice that you've done them a favor? I will wave if someone has done so, but I imagine there are times I haven't realized someone was letting me in.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Outside of Austin, the custom still applies. It is nice to see that "wave" in their rear view mirror.
"Drive friendly" doesn't apply to Austin anymore

I'd say the "me first" driving mentality started about 5 years ago and has gotten worse over the years.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Could it be that sometimes people don't notice that you've done them a favor? I will wave if someone has done so, but I imagine there are times I haven't realized someone was letting me in.
Its ok dont worry about it, I'm sure when someone goes out of their way for you, you wave.

As far as the subject in general you know I'm not a demanding person I dont expect red carpets be rolled out and trumpets sound when I do something nice. However when I go way out of my way to do something nice for another driver. When they pull in front of me a little acknowledgement would be nice.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:41 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
And the main reason for someone not realizing you did them a favor.... Yakking on the cell, eating a buger, slurping on a soda, smoking a cigarette and changing the channel on the radio. Frequently all at the same time.
Seriously the main reason is that they are blindly engaged in doing something other than paying attention to the road

Old 09-11-2009, 04:41 PM

orbius..I'll betcha a lot of the "new" residents here in Austin don't even realize that it is a custom.
Similar to the "we don't beep horns here in Austin" and they look at you strange..whatta mean you don't beep your horn ?

Old 09-11-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
orbius..I'll betcha a lot of the "new" residents here in Austin don't even realize that it is a custom.
Similar to the "we don't beep horns here in Austin" and they look at you strange..whatta mean you don't beep your horn ?
Yeah the country Texans go so out of their way to get over for you on the shoulder of two lane roads in Texas. Anyone on earth would feel downright guilty if they didnt wave thanks to these good folk.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Yeah the country Texans go so out of their way to get over for you on the shoulder of two lane roads in Texas. Anyone on earth would feel downright guilty if they didnt wave thanks to these good folk.
LOL..a Texas standoff..4 cars at a 4 way stop..no one wants to be the first to go. I've actually been in one and laughed my head off..it really does happen.

True about those country roads..I completely get off the road when I see a tractor coming my way and they always wave their thanks. The steering on those babies is not exactly rack and pinion ya know

Old 09-11-2009, 05:47 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Being a courteous driver is not an Austin exclusive. It happens everywhere. It isn't a "custom", it's being a driver that is aware of what is going on around oneself.

I admit...I used to give the one finger salute but I don't do that any longer. (but I would only do that to people that were complete azzholes, and of course I determined who was and who wasn't)

I'm a good driver, and I'm courteous...really, believe me...I'm tellin the truth.

It isn't an "austin" thing. I've been in those stand-offs in other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: