Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:37 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,378 times

Advertisements

Come to think of it, we almost always drive out of Southwest Austin to eat. We have a bunch of close restaurants, especially at Escarpment Village but almost everyone of them has been somewhat disappointing, and with the exception of Waterloo, overpriced.

Green Mesquite down in HEB strip mall at the Y is really hit or miss, we went once and the food tasted great. The next time we went, we were really disappointed. We tried Donn's BBQ and it was AWFUL.

We sometimes go to Chuys which if you hit at happy hour is good (cheap margaritas) but it is almost always a wait. I prefer Trudy's to Chuys so we usually end up driving all the way to I35.

I will have to check out the Cypress Grill. We went into Galaxy once and decided to leave because the prices seemed high for someplace that didn't have table service. Went to the Pizza place next door instead, and it was Ok. Don't I sound I picky?

Has anybody tried the Mediterranean Buffet that went up in Arbor Trails?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 01:35 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,798 times
We've been looking at the Fearless Critic guidebook to Austin and haven't really thought it was on target -- talking to people here is far more informative!

Guess I'm not the only one that thinks that either: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/374868

Old 09-16-2009, 01:46 PM

157 posts, read 446,031 times
We always order takeout/delivery Chinese food from Sesame Hill. They don't have on-site eating (or at least where I would eat) but the food is excellent.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:30 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,873,665 times
I second the recommendation of Milano Cafe on SW Parkway. It's got kind of a weird ambience, with the couches and stuff... and the menu is small.. but everything we've had there is very authentic and good. The pizza is delicious. The coffee is simply amazing.

I guess this is not SW enough, but the Grove off Bee Caves & 360 is a favorite. Also right off 290/Ben White is Estancia Churrascaria... and right by Central Market is Madam Mam's. Hyde Park Grill is right there too, it's a nice place but the food is so-so.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:01 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtoTX View Post
We always order takeout/delivery Chinese food from Sesame Hill. They don't have on-site eating (or at least where I would eat) but the food is excellent.
Thanks, I will give it a try. The menu looks good!

sesamehii.com, asian cuisine

Old 09-16-2009, 04:49 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,919,279 times
Don't forget about Hill's Cafe! Not fancy, but good food and they also have live music outdoors on some nights.

Nutty Brown Cafe is also good but a little bit of a drive.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:02 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Ohh, Nutty Brown is not that far from me, I will check it out. Nutty Brown Cafe

Old 09-16-2009, 05:37 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
That bird is in a cage with a squirt bottle hanging on it (at least in the summer), and the bird says "Squirt me!"

Old 09-16-2009, 05:54 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,679 times
I haven't been in about two years but Tien Jin across from Central Market @ Westgate is good...IF you ask for and order from the Chinese menu. If you're not Asian, you will, by default, be given the Americanized menu which sucks.

Azul Tequila is the best interior Mexican in town.

Just up Lamar is Chango's which is tacos & burritos. Bit pricey for what it is but good.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:23 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,975,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I haven't been in a very long time, but we used to like The Bakehouse on Manchaca.
The Bakehouse has been around forever and I was wondering if it still existed. It's just south of Stassney IIRC, near Crockett HS on the opposite side of Manchaca. They have a very comprhensive menu, but there was something I found a little insipid about them. Guess I just didn't like the concept -- too frumpy/cutsie. If you insist on looking for restaurants in the wilderness south of Ben White, you probably should pay them a visit though. I used to live out in Shady Hollow and always felt I had to schlep into town for any place I'd actually want to eat. We then moved to Barton Hills, which I found much better located relative to restaurants I'd actually want to go to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin