U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 05:23 PM

14,562 posts, read 21,328,614 times

Advertisements

@ HorseLady: I originally expressed my opinion of the place in what I thought was a balanced manner of both the positive and the negative. Your denial of my opinion and experience, forces me to go into more detail regarding the negative side of my experience in order to defend my comments. Trust me there is more that I could say, but presently choose not to.

I have heard other people on this forum say that some might consider Flores to be a dive, when it in fact has a much nicer atmosphere then Azul Tequila. I enjoyed what I had of Azul Tequila's food enough to say I sincerely hope they succeed at their present location and I am looking forward to trying more of their dishes. And I hope their success allows them to improve the premises. It is indeed unfortunate that the nicer facility in Round Rock didn't receive enough support to keep it open. Maybe it was those $14 lunches for two.

To respond to your question about the service, the place was only about 20 percent occupied and there appeared to be only 1 person waiting on tables, one bus boy and someone from the kitchen who served the food. This was at 12:30 lunch time. Again, most of the experience we had was not uncommon in restaurants that are just starting out. I hope this one makes it, the food alone deserves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 05:52 PM

3,742 posts, read 5,465,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
@ HorseLady: I originally expressed my opinion of the place in what I thought was a balanced manner of both the positive and the negative. Your denial of my opinion and experience, forces me to go into more detail regarding the negative side of my experience in order to defend my comments. Trust me there is more that I could say, but presently choose not to.

I have heard other people on this forum say that some might consider Flores to be a dive, when it in fact has a much nicer atmosphere then Azul Tequila. I enjoyed what I had of Azul Tequila's food enough to say I sincerely hope they succeed at their present location and I am looking forward to trying more of their dishes. And I hope their success allows them to improve the premises. It is indeed unfortunate that the nicer facility in Round Rock didn't receive enough support to keep it open. Maybe it was those $14 lunches for two.

To respond to your question about the service, the place was only about 20 percent occupied and there appeared to be only 1 person waiting on tables, one bus boy and someone from the kitchen who served the food. This was at 12:30 lunch time. Again, most of the experience we had was not uncommon in restaurants that are just starting out. I hope this one makes it, the food alone deserves it.
Hasn't this place been open a while? I've been hearing about it since I've been frequenting this site.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:58 PM

16,530 posts, read 23,097,471 times
Azul Tequila has been open for years (since 2001) and is quite popular. It's not a "new" restaurant by any stretch of the imagination and CptnRon's experience does not seem, from what I've experienced and heard from others, to be common.

I'm quite surprised to hear that it was only 20% full at 12:30 lunch time. I try very hard to get there by 11:30 (when it is somewhat empty) to make sure of getting a seat.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:49 PM

3,742 posts, read 5,465,871 times
Default Tarka

We went here for lunch today and it was really quite good. Tarka Indian Kitchen It is fast-casual meaning that you order at the counter and they bring it out to you much the way they do at the Fire Bowl Cafe. So this is a similar concept with Indian food, however I think the food at Tarka is quite a bit better than what they serve up at the Fire bowl. It was packed and many of my fellow diners were of Indian descent - always a good sign!

Old 09-25-2009, 04:51 PM

157 posts, read 285,213 times
I have to second the recommendation for Tarka! I ate there both yesterday and today for lunch. I was told that it was owned by the same people as Clay Pit. Excellent food!

Old 09-25-2009, 10:41 PM

10,470 posts, read 7,580,460 times
There's a little place called Jalisco's that opened not so recently on South 1st and William Cannon. Quite busy and gets rave reviews.

I also like Texican Cafe. I will warn you that their service can really suck though.

Best Chinese is at Wok n Roll which is unfortunately up north. I stop there everytime I am in that area. Mmmmm...

I also frequent the Flores on William Cannon. Killer margaritas.

I've heard that the little chinese place in the HEB shopping center at Slaughter and Manchaca is really good too. I've never personally been there but I've never heard anything but rave reviews. It's over by the Goodyear Automotive place, last shop in the strip.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:55 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,774,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
We went here for lunch today and it was really quite good. Tarka Indian Kitchen It is fast-casual meaning that you order at the counter and they bring it out to you much the way they do at the Fire Bowl Cafe. So this is a similar concept with Indian food, however I think the food at Tarka is quite a bit better than what they serve up at the Fire bowl. It was packed and many of my fellow diners were of Indian descent - always a good sign!
Ate there tonight and had better food than I've experience at the Clay Pit. I was very impressed. YUUUUUMMMM!

Old 09-27-2009, 09:00 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,821,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Best Chinese is at Wok n Roll which is unfortunately up north. I stop there everytime I am in that area. Mmmmm...
Another of the places with a secret Chinese menu. I was told this menu consists of Shanghai style street food.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:07 PM

582 posts, read 1,140,729 times
We just ate at Santa Rita for the third time, and had another great experience. Very good food, very good prices, and excellent service. The place seemed pretty crowded too so I guess the word's getting out. Santa Rita is down in Escarpment Village near Waterloo and Natural Planet. (Natural Planet is pretty good too)

Old 10-04-2009, 08:43 PM

67 posts, read 119,263 times
Whoever recommended the Milano Cafe on Southwest Parkway was spot on. My hubby & I had a great lunch there yesterday. I plan on going back there soon. We had an albanezza pizza (made with smoked Albanian sausages) and a polenta dish that was so good. Plus excellent tiramisu and cappacchinos. The owners are great, I plan on going back real soon. I wrote a review up on my cooking blog, PM me if you want the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin