Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:11 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,973,903 times

Advertisements

My King Ranch Chicken can cause a divorce. My smoked brisquet causes weight loss and cures acne. You eat my biscuits and gravy causes you to understand why Sports Illustrated swimsuit models gain weight and fall in love with me. Hugh Hefner has already asked to move the Playboy Mansion to my house if I will make him my famous Buttermilk Pie and fried catfish with hushpuppies.

Its all about the butter, bacon fat and dead cow in my house.

My shrimp boil in 10 minutes will make you suck shrimp roe while eating boudain sausage.

To the original poster: just drive around with your window rolled down, smell the sweet scents of Austin and let your nose be your guide. Its all good here.

PS: Stay way, way clear of Rudy's sawdust brisquet and sausage - it sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 10:27 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Louisiana Longhorn
Azul Tequila
Mariachis de Jalisco in Georgetown
Chez Nous

Old 09-19-2009, 07:35 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post

PS: Stay way, way clear of Rudy's sawdust brisquet and sausage - it sucks.

Are you sure you are eating the extra moist? I agree the lean is like sawdust, but the extra moist is good almost every single time. I can tell by looking if it is going to be a bad cut and I actually exchange it now.

If it doesnt glisten then I have them try again

Old 09-19-2009, 07:46 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
Okay, just curious to what your favorite place to eat is -- whether it's a taco stand or fine dining establishment. I've heard lot of times that Uchi is the best place in town. I'm sure a lot of folks have places they like more than Uchi... ?
I dont have a favorite, but each restaurant that I go to a lot has it's own particular good food

Mangia- mangia fries with their mangia sauce - usually get a philly cheese which is just ok

Mirabelle - generally like everything, but particularly duck and sausage gumbo.

gumbos - blackened catfish with seafood gumbo on top. Lately just have the seafood gumbo alone with oysters added

Eddie v's happy hour- half priced appetizers. Calamari, scallops, tuna tartar are my favorites

rudys - extra moist

asia market - spicy fish filet and ma po tofu. We also get the sweet and sour fish and beef flat noodle. Everything we have tried there has been good, but this is what we order 90% of the time.

Fortune - Best peking duck in all of austin and really some of the best ive had even compared to LA and NYC. Comparable peking duck to hong kong. We get the lettuce wrap option. Best dim sum

Saccones - thin crust pizza, way better than homeslice.

chuys - thursday special up north on 183 is the macho burrito (carnitas burrito). Also spicy jalapeno ranch

Houstons - by far the best burger. I get the bbq burger - good fries
fuddruckers- good burger when I dont want to pay houstons prices

musashinos - best sushi (havent been to uchi yet). Regular meals suck except the diamond steak

Sushi sake - lunch special bento box. I get the tempura sushi lunch - good deal. Sushi is only so so.

Cafe at the four seasons - brunch. By far the best brunch. Pricey though at $40. Prefer the bellagio (las vegas) brunch for $20

thundercloud - vegetarian sandwich is awesome. avocado, sprouts etc

Old 09-19-2009, 08:06 AM

12 posts, read 49,722 times
WINK-don't know if anyone mentioned, but we had the best service and most amazing meal....here in Austin so far, a few months back. We just told the waitress to bring us a glass of wine to pair with our food choices and it was always perfect!

~EVA~

Old 09-19-2009, 09:36 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
I forget about Arkie's. Good, cheap, home-cooking served in a crowded dump. Yum.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:12 PM

151 posts, read 348,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Z-Tejas, but just the Arboretum location. It has the better outdoor area, and they serve cornbread with your meal (which the downtown location doesn't). Like the mushroom enchiladas and chile relleno.
Did you have an inattentive waiter at the downtown location? I've had dinner at Z-Tejas on W6th three times in the past month and received the cornbread without asking each time.

May as well add my 2 cents --
New Favorite Breakfast spot: Magnolia Cafe (S. Congress or West Austin - a tie). Whole wheat Pecan chocolate chip pancakes (with real maple syrup) and a breakfast taco -yum. My new favorite now that the biscuits and gravy recipe at Kerbey Lane South Lamar has been changed: they've added cheese to the biscuits and made the gravy less creamy.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:38 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,276 times
Chinese- Pao's in Lakeway
Italian- Cielo's (Red Sauce), Vespaio
Pizza- Tony C's (but haven't been to Homeslice)
Tex-Mex- El Chile (great salsa and Chilango margarita), Los Pinos
Texas Fusion- Z Tejas & Hudson's on the Bend
Japanese- Uchi (has much more than sushi, is quite innovative, and has some fantastic non-sushi dishes) and Mushashino
BBQ- Smitty's in Lockhart
Tacos- (breakfast) Rudy's, and Maria's Taco Express
Indian- well, The Clay Pit is pretty good
Steak- none

Hey Cupcake & Sugar Mama's are pretty great (Sugar Mama's eeks out as a bit better)
I really like The Grove

Old 09-19-2009, 06:51 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,599 times
So no one has *THE* restaurant that they love the best? I wasn't exactly looking for a list of multiple places -- just your all time favorite.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:46 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
THE restaurant that I love the most? The Salt Lick. But everyone is going to jump on me for that. There's just something about that drive out to Driftwood and hauling in my cooler full of beer that makes for a wonderful dining experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin